Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Diana got the old "Yes, let your anger flow through you!" spiel and instead of succumbing she used the light side of the force to bring balance to the world. Even if it was just for a moment mirroring the WWI Christmas Miracle.

Diana is a Jedi, like her father before her.
10/10

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

teagone posted:

The Native American dude and the German soldier hugging it out at the end came off more like them non-verbally acknowledging that the situation they were both in earlier was hosed and they're grateful to be alive. What more can you do in that kind of scenario than open your arms to another human being.

Yea, a demigod(actual goddess?) who super speed clobbered everyone and with the power of Love just deathstar'd another god who was dressed in Sauron armor and was calling for the extermination of mankind. Kinda reorients your perspective.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They might not have gone outisde the box but what they did in it was great.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

So he likes the movie?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 7, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

teagone posted:

...in the rear end?

Buh-tocks.

E:
One thing from the comics i hope makes some translation into future dc movies is how in a life or death fight, Wonder Woman would not only wreck Superman but kill him quick fast and in a hurry cause shes a capital W Warrior.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 8, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LMAO

Vegetable posted:

it's facetious, m8

I prefer to read this as 100% serious.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Awhile back the newspaper comic thread was posting an old comic strip from that era called The Outbursts of Everett True, and it was a little surreal seeing a comic about a man getting mad at assholes turn into a comic about that same dude going around planting flags and getting pissed at pacifists and anti-war music after the US joined the war. It's really bizarre seeing that attitude applied to WW1.

Yea, I liked the ones where he beats up a pacifist / conscientious objector / someone who just doesn't want to die and drags their unconscious body to a recruiting center. :allears:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I keep hearing from reviewers how the third act of WW is weakest, even WHM who loved it unanimously, but I don't think so at all.

Keeping with the way people compare the first two acts with other movies, act three reminded me of elements in Return of the Jedi and Dragon Ball Z. Tenuous admittedly but :iia:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 10, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, people embraced and hugged when the war stopped in real life, too. poo poo, they stopped fighting at christmas until the officers instituted new rules to prevent that happening.

I still think that was a dirrect allusion to The Christmas Truce/Miracle. I dont see how they could not have intended that.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 11, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hardly. Jenkins is following in Snyder's footsteps, but never reaches the level of 300. The action is uninteresting and often awkward, and it's rather understandable because because Jenkins is not an action director.The thematics and politics are just weak. For example, there's little recognition of irony in sending warrior-princess powered by divine heritage into the conflict that destroyed aristocracy as a political force. And the third-hand Greek mythology (first loosely adapted for a comic book and then onto the big screen) is just a lame bastardisation. With 300 you can admire how it one-ups historical myth.

Amazing how you can be backwards and wrong about everything.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Phylodox posted:

Most of the action seemed like pretty standard fare. Quick cuts as the hits land with a few long shots to emphasize a particularly elaborate move. It's basically what we see in most action movies that aren't centred around elaborate fight/stunt choreography.

Ive seen it twice now and ww grabbing the k98(?) rifle from one dude, knocing him the gently caress out and then blocking bullets and back handing another guy right before breaking it against her back :krad:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 12, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

poptart_fairy posted:

Something tells me posting your stash of titty pics isn't owning the original dummy.

Dont interrupt people when they are owning themselves. -Sun tzu

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I can forgive WW doing all those things because literal Demi-Goddess. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrJacobs posted:

Diana litterally ran away for a century

I wouldnt call it running away.
I can forgive someone needing some alone time after their bf blows up, they kill their own brother and have their world veiw shattered in one evening.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wyoming posted:

Two and a half hours is just a lot for a super pants film, at least in theaters, give me that three hour cut at home.

Also I loved the Ares reveal, the perfect fit for an evil god, and his goat helm was :krad:
Though the shot of the defeated Ares, all buff and naked with the same goofy mustache made me laugh.
No the god of war didn't choose to look like a dweeby British guy, the god of war has always been a dweeby British guy.

:allears:

Running his hand down the front to make the eye holes. :krad:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like to think that was a reference to the N52 WW run

Something that has been bugged me about the movie is that the nature and/or powers of her bracelets are never elaborated upon. Every other part of her gear gets either an explanation or a handwave about their nature and origins but the bracelets are just there.

She's never seen without them and seemingly they grow alongside Diana since they always fit her arms perfectly. There's no explanation on what is the deal with the energy burst nor is ever shown she uses them to deflect things until it happens in London. I mean, if she always could do that, why Antiope simply warned Diana instead of taking the bullet for her?.

Zeus did it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sir, this is a McDonalds drive thru

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

spacetoaster posted:

Are we allowed to talk about spoiler stuff now?

I really, REALLY, hope he's actually dead. The story is so much better that way. HOWEVER....there's a really big/obvious parachute on the pilot he knocks out when he takes the controls of the plane. And he pauses, and looks away, after aiming his pistol at the bombs and it doesn't actually show him pulling the trigger.

My greatest fear is that he grabbed the parachute and dropped a grenade as he jumped out.

I guess there will be a sequel, probably many. I suppose her and Steve could have several years of adventure/love before he succumbs to old age/or something. But it wouldn't be as neat and tidy as him just being dead.

The only Good men are dead men. :hai:

poptart_fairy posted:

Wonder Woman should've fought on the German side to underline its point further. :colbert:

Steve Trevor wouldnt pass as a German name, i dont think.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 21, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

spacetoaster posted:

Actually ran into someone today who was extremely upset that WW had men in it for a different reason that to be killed by WW. She was particularly infuriated that WW wasn't gay and that a romance was forced onto her character in the movie.

Also argued that the movie wasn't empowering enough for women. When I asked her to describe "empowering" she basically just wanted a movie where a bunch of super masculine women killed every man they came across.

Kate Beaton straw feminist?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

spacetoaster posted:

Nope. It happened.

That's hilarious.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah the movie we got seems good (haven't seen it yet) but don't act like that wouldn't have also been awesome.

Amazons just invade the world on a crusade of killing men lead by a demigoddess and Ares is like "Oh cool you lot will definitely be onboard wi-" they staple him to a big rock with swords and drop it into the deepest part of the sea. :black101:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Comstar posted:

Sent her off the sound stage to prepare for the sequel.

Dr Poison being in Justice League seems an odd choice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/878200483760009216

Interesting read.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I want to say Lex corp digging into her past and also Lex corp atrocities like the mercs testing bullets on civilians as seen in BvS.

E: Superman isnt human but he was raised human. Close enough. :shrug:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 23, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

hiddenriverninja posted:

After Wonder Woman, who's the next biggest female character DC/WB can build a film around?

Catwoman. Maybe Black Canary?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Another serious answer: Seriously you guys think aiming a mounted machine gun or a bolt action rifle is like aiming a laser?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Go challenge those roller derby people you posted about to a race and dont come back till you have a trophy or a medal or whatever.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
But can he make himself grow to gigantic size by saying a specific word?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Davros1 posted:

Well, one of the rumors of the Whedon reshoots of JL is to beef up her role in the movie based on the response of WW. Mind you, rumors and all.

Really hope they put some oversight on him due to the reaction to his script.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thats an interesting take. I like the idea of her being wrapped in steel representing her deliberately being kept in the dark. Is there a reason why she pulls her right arm free as she's watching the plane fly away?

Reminiscent of Lady Liberty holding out her torch.

quote:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Diana, nothing like her brother Ares or the other gods, is the new collosus. :hai:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That lasso definitely should have seen more action.

Not sure where in the film you'd put it but imagine her snaring a German soldier and grilling him about why he's fighting and killing for Ares. They had to have had that come up int he writers room.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrJacobs posted:

The best is the guy who shoots him point blank in the back of the head, which does nothing but make him even more angry.

He shoots twice and the only person that gets it worse is the guy who managed to stab him. :allears:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It would be better with practical effects.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was watching the No Man's Land bit again and you can see some bullets ricocheting off of them too.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 29, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You could read a lot into that scene and I think that was intentional.

I also felt it communicated that theyre having some bonding through battle. WW isnt just fighting as a lone warrior shes fighting with soldiers in combat like the amazons did on the beach in act one. They even cap the action with the whole gang setting her up for aunt Antiope's Shield Maneuver. :swoon:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 2, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

teagone posted:

I'm not sure I get your argument here. I'm trying to remember a moment in the film that reinforces the idea that looks are important and I'm coming up blank. Are you implying that maybe they should have cast different actors as Diana and Trevor? Someone not as lithe and slender as Gadot or someone with a smaller dick than Pine? Lmao. The dick scene was played for laughs. It was a joke. Gal also looked really toned throughout the film, so I'm not sure what your complaint is there. The work she put it in is mostly showed off during the No Man's Land breach and liberating Veld:

There's literally also a scene from that Veld sequence in one of the the trailers where she crushes a rifle in slow motion and her arm flexing is clearly in focus:

Where you expecting a scene showing off Gal's physique under the "male/female gaze" like a majority of other superhero films where they typically have a scene to highlight the hero's physique? I'm personally happy that they didn't do that.

Imagine WW in a Schumacher Batman style costume and suit up sequence. Lol

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ares telling Diana to look at Dr Maru was showing her humanities willingness to mutilate itself in our barbaric pursuits. Scarred by her own poisons she persists in concocting more to kill countless. imo

But she doesn't crush her with a tank.
She believes in more than what Ares is peddling. :hai:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 10, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought Gadot's appearance was a good blend between feminine and tough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do they have to be mutually exclusive?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Equeen posted:

True, but she could also be referring to masturbation.

Pretty sure everyone knew she meant lesbian sex. I mean, 12 volumes seems like a lot for just masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ungulateman posted:

this is the wonder woman thread why are you talking about the marvel comics feat. Hydra Captain America and Nazi Magneto

Gotta make some real reaches for a tankie reading of WW?

• Locked thread