Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I wonder how they'll fit her name into the movie. My guess would be war propaganda in the vein of Captain America that somehow sticks, but I'd also be OK with no one in this or any movie to come ever utters the phrase "Wonder Woman".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Steve Trevor: What's the 'WW' stand for?

Diana: It's not a 'WW.' On my island it means 'Martha.'

Steve: Well, here it's a 'WW.' How about... Wonder *grenade explodes*

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

teagone posted:

I'm trying so hard not to respond to Alisha Grauso on twitter (editor-at-large for Moviepilot, a site I sometimes write clickbait articles on for kicks) because she claims the worst parts of Wonder Woman had Zack Snyder's fingerprints all over them. I suppose she had her Snyder detector on at maximum to know exactly when and at which point in the movie that was influenced by Zack Snyder himself. I'm guessing it was all the slow motion bits.

Someone did call her out on that in another tweet, and then she went into full defensive mode bringing gender into the issue... :munch: Can't wait till the embargo on full reviews lifts.

[edit] Can't stop reading twitter. All the positive reactions are encouraging, and I'm struggling to hold firm on keeping my expectations in check. But if the full reviews are all glowing, then poo poo, Ima go full loving fanboy.

Snyder influence is easy to detect, just check if every character has rock-hard abs. Yeah, even the British comedy relief lady.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

fadam posted:

Is this revisionist "BvS was good, actually" history new or what

I like BvS, I guess I must have spontaneously popped into existence just now to further the agenda against people with good taste.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if she's ever going to actually hit anyone with her sword or if she's going to do the Masters of the Universe 1987 thing where she swings it around in every battle but never draws blood, because that poo poo is ridiculous.

I guess the massive reaction to Batman killing people in BvS gave them second thoughts but they'd already established that she carries a sword so they were stuck with it. And maybe she slices and dices her way through a whole bunch of dudes but they just held off on showing that in the trailers.

I guess we'll find out either way on the 31st!

Rubber sword. Honest.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Really, it takes place a hundred years ago, how connected could it be? Would Steve Trevor's biplane have a Wayne Industries engine?

Cyborg's grandfather as steampunk man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Can't remember but, is it said directly in BvS (or I guess here) that WW "walked away from humanity" immediately after WW1? Maybe she stuck around to try to help rebuild then when it was obvious that even without Ares the world still birthed fascism and even more war so she left around/before WW2*?

* christ this is potentially confusing haha

So she'd see the Nazis surface and walk away before punching any of them in the face? that would be very weak.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is the whole point of the movie though?

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

Here is how dumb your point is: Superman so clearly identifies as a Kryptonian rather than a human that even his diary is written in Kryptonian. In his most private of moments he doesn't consider himself human. Even in the animated series. He has always been Kryptonian, which is key to why he is just a much better person than all the humans around him. It isn't Kansas. It is his dad.

Woosh.

Pretty sure you'd be able to find an issue or three where you can make the exact opposite argument. It's weird that you get so abrasive because some guy's point is clearly invalidated by two examples from over 75 years of publication history.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

Maybe, but I seriously doubt those two examples are the only ones. In fact, I would be willing to bet that things which run counter to those 2 examples are in the small minority compared to things which support those 2 examples.

If you want to make the point that Superman is a callous sociopath an alien the Golden Age will yield plenty evidence, I guess. On the other hand, every single character from that era seems alien today.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Goffer posted:

Superman isn't an alien, he is a robot programmed to obey. He spends all his time doing what his dead fathers want, what zod wants, what Louis wants, what the government wants. He asks his mother for instructions and she said he should do what he wants, so he flew off and bowed to Lex.

Makes sense, in Superman IV: Quest for Peace Superman ends the nuclear arms race because a kid from Bumfuck, Idaho asked him to. He's like the Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, you just have to approach him about ending world hunger and it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Seems refreshing that Greek Satan isn't Hades.

They'll probably save him for the sequel :v:

• Locked thread