Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Drifter posted:

Anyone who says MoS was stupid and terrible doesn't deserved to be responded to. :colbert:
We should all stop talking to Lurdiak.

not liking the new wonder woman theme is a much worse crime, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I really liked the movie, but I really didn't like that it did not use the clay origin. Literally nothing would have been lost if the movie stuck with the "Zeus breathed life into clay baby Diana" story. Would the general public really be that turned off if the most well-known female superhero had some similarities with Adam and Eve, who are pretty well-known themselves?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF? She looks completely normal.

Uh, sorry dude, but she's less than a D-cup so she isn't a REAL female superhero!!!

Sorry, I don't make the rules :colbert:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ungulateman posted:

on the contrary, this is the best part

it wasn't as exciting as that scene where scarlett johansson was shilling for sodastream

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

404notfound posted:

After seeing headlines around the internet about how feminist the movie is (without clicking through for fear of spoilers), I was struck by how un-feminist it turned out to be. Still a lot of the same, tired jokes about strong females ("I'm both frightened and aroused"), and Wonder Woman honestly felt more like a sidekick to Steve most of the time; that whole scene at the gala between Steve and Dr. Poison seemed to gratuitously shove him under the spotlight.

I have no strong feeling about any sort of "feminist agenda" one way or the other, but if this was supposed to be empowering, it really fell flat.

The movie almost doesn't even pass the Bechdel test, once we get out of Themyscira. There was the brief "trying on outfits" scene between Diana and the secretary, but after that we don't even have female characters interacting with one another.

I liked the movie, but a podcast review pointed out something interesting: with the exception of Hestia, there were no mention Greek goddesses. In hindsight, you would think Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war strategy, the literal opposite of Ares in terms of temperament and morality, would have gotten her name dropped at least once...

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Toady posted:

Diana, whose name is similar to Adonai, initially appears to represent a neo Old Testament war god. As Yahweh and Zeus were storm gods, Diana inherits lightning powers. In the final battle, she embraces the New Testament view that love will save everyone, and she forms an electric cross in the sky, yet her actions are hypocritically full of bloodshed. Her superhero uniform is battle armor. Her link with humanity is a dead man whose imagery she cherishes. She leads humanity in modern-day wars for alleged humanitarian reasons. She shrugs her shoulders and accepts that mankind will do whatever it wants instead of educating humanity through character refinement (Da'at Torah). The film effectively acts as a Jewish critique of Christianity.

Well, the screenplay was written by a gay Jewish man, so :shrug:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Brother Entropy posted:

was it really just the quips or what

what does your heart tell you

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been seeing posts on the internet about a script for WW written by Joss Whedon, is that real?

real lovely, yeah

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BrianWilly posted:

Truth hurts

Your posting is often super smug and off-putting, so in a way it does hurt to be reminded of that.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was just rewatching the Doomsday fight scene in BvS and when Lois Lane runs up after the battle to discover Superman is dead it's Diana who turns and looks at her. Diana understood.

In the Ultimate edition there's an extra shot of Diana's face to further show her emphathy for Lois.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Ferrinus posted:

What kinda guys she like

dead ones, obviously

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I saw someone say that Wonder Woman isn't feminist because Diana is "highly sexualized", and I have to disagree. I'm trying to think of a male gaze-y shot in the movie, and I'm drawing a blank. There was no close-ups on her (or any Amazon's) rear end and tits, nor was there a dumb scene where Diana is changing clothes, and Steve trying to sneak a peak. Like, there's more to sexual objectification than "is she showing skin, y/n".

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah that was really something.

I feel weird saying this about a love scene but that whole thing was really sweet and intimate.

I kinda like that it was completely left to the audience's imagination. For all we know, Diana and Steve were just cuddling :3:.

they totally hosed, tho

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope there is a director out there that is as passionate about well known Marvel characters Silver Sable and Black Cat

edit: how many nerds are going to argue that "gratuitous butt shots are a part of their character!"

A woman of color is directing the Silver Sable/Black Cat movie, so hopefully the butt shots are kept to a minimum.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but did all the Amazons know the truth about Diana or just Hippolyta, Antiope and a few select Amazons? I'm wondering because if they all knew then having the God Killer sword secured in the tower doesn't make sense. Like all that back story just to keep Diana in the dark but the rest of the items in the tower are what they claim to be?

I understand why it was needed as a plot device and that's fine, but it was just one of those things that crossed my mind when I was thinking about the movie.

No, it's an interesting question, but I have a feeling that only a few Amazons knew about Diana's true nature.

Speaking of the Amazons, I kinda bummed that the movie wasn't brave enough to show that, shockingly, an island full of women may have some lesbians in it. I know they had to keep the movie "family friendly", but it's still kind of a shame.

Like, in the boat scene, where Steve was explaining marriage, Diana could have said something like, "Oh, my aunt and her lover had a ceremony like that". Obviously my suggestion isn't groundbreaking LGBT representation, but would have been something.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well she did say men are not necessary for sexual pleasure

True, but she could also be referring to masturbation.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

R. Guyovich posted:

the likelihood of a nazi propaganda franchise saying "gently caress it" and going full tilt anti-communism is high enough already that the rumors are more credible

:chloe:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao

the numbers just get bigger and bigger

:chloe: sounding a bit too much of an atrocity denier, dude who called the dc films "nazi propaganda"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Jesus this is giving me so many flashbacks to that lovely movie. Wonder Woman was supposed to cleanse my mind of those terrible memories, not bring them flooding back!

:rolleyes: you poor thing

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was originally going to say something about her coming in here to teach us all about the power of love but I realized how that might come across.

It sounds like you just wanted to honor William Moulton Marston's fetish memory

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Black Bones posted:

She replaces Ares as a kinder, gentler god of war.

She's, in a way, the "next" Athena?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Believe it or not, the English VA for Sephiroth is played by Lance Bass.

:goonsay: Actually Sephiroth's most recent English VA is George Newborn, who was Superman in the JL/JLU cartoons :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

gohmak posted:

And be a westernized beauty standard white woman.

So are you purposely ignoring the fact that she's Jewish or what? Yeah, she definitely checks a lot of Western beauty standard boxes, but it's not very often that you see an olive-skinned foreign actress star in a big American blockbuster.

• Locked thread