Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BrianWilly posted:

lol I'd personally love to be clued in as to why specifically we're supposed to think this would be bad.

zod's battle theme is literally called Either You Die Or I Do, named after the thing he outright says to clark during their fight

his last words are him saying "never" when asked, desperately, to not kill a group of innocent bystanders

(also doomsday is defeated by the power of love, it just turns out 'the power of love' means being willing to sacrifice your life for something you love, not magically making people not evil)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So was Leonardo Da Vinci secretly a mirror beast from the Opposite Dimension because his journals and diaries were written backwards?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Doesn't Avengers have like a 93% on RT? I remember feeling vaguely affronted after watching Logan and seeing it had pretty close to the same score as that 'yeah okay?' film, so I guess so.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

well why not posted:

hate it or love it, the guy is almost peerless at action directing. Movies would look very different if it wasn't for 300, Watchmen, Suckerpunch etc.

pre-empting the judakel post: yeah they'd look a lot better am i right fellas???

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

movie really could have done without gal gadot breaking character and delivering a ten minute monologue on the moral righteousness of settlements in gaza

on the contrary, this is the best part

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

LMAO at people looking at the scene where Ares is blatantly manipulating the Lasso of Truth with his god powers and assuming he's telling the truth because he says so

I think ending the film after ludendorf's death would make a much better story but I guess that wouldn't be morally clear and heroic enough

Shoutouts to the scene where Wonder Woman ignores the World Engine to save Metropolis from Zod and then everyone dies though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

soldiers legit thought that angels descended from the heavens and cleared a path for their charge across no man's land during ww1 (presumably because they were dehydrated, suffering from dysentery and/or breaking down mentally), so there's no particular reason to think anyone would believe the story of the Wondrous Woman

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

There's not much Christian about Wonder Woman. There's a split second where she's in the sky with her arms apart, but it's much more a 'god gently descending from the heavens' pose than a crucifixion - which makes sense, since she's just obliterated Ares with divine might.

Broadly, Wonder Woman in this movie serves as a mirror to Batman in BvS. Where Batman was so cynical that he'd kill a man because he thinks they're God, she's so idealistic she'd kill a man because she thinks they're God. The difference lies in why killing God is such a good idea.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

VagueRant posted:

So erm, what did they do with Doctor Poison after Wonder Woman spared her?

ungulateman posted:

i almost want a sequel set in ww2 where doctor poison is working in the camps and wonder woman turns up and is like "oh for gently caress's sake" and that's what really made her lose hope in humanity

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Freedom is responsibility? That doesnt sound very free.

'Freedom' in this context means accepting morality as your own decision rather than an externally imposed one - rather than doing what God (or a similar authority figure) says is right, it's deciding for yourself what is right. It's taking responsibility for your own decisions, which is the ultimate - and rather terrifying, sometimes - freedom.

As this film puts it, "It's not about what they deserve. It's about what I believe. And I believe in love."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

the likelihood of a nazi propaganda franchise saying "gently caress it" and going full tilt anti-communism is high enough already that the rumors are more credible

this is the wonder woman thread why are you talking about the marvel comics feat. Hydra Captain America and Nazi Magneto

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Can we talk about whether the Soviet Union is culpable for the holodomor and/or if the tsar would have done worse in D&D rather than the wonder woman thread, please

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The others are soldiers by trade, not by choice. They'd rather sing, act, tell stories.

Part of Diana's growth as a character is becoming more than just a fighter - not because she's a woman, but because to define yourself as a warrior means bringing the war with you wherever you go. And that's a burden that can break a man, like it broke Charlie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

This seems like a useful bit of forward planning for if they ever want to do anything with the character more than something relevant to this movie specifically. Plant the idea now so it looks clever when you come back to it later.

Sort of like the opposite of "actually that kid in iron man 2 is a young peter parker" after Marvel got Spider-man back, or whatever that backwards engineering was.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

There's a blog post from one of my tumblr friends that I think is relevant here:

http://prequelsredeemed.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/what-would-wonder-woman-do.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Black Bones posted:

I'm a little disappointed Ares didn't pull a literal Darth Vader reveal on Diana, but I guess it was close enough.

well, he's her brother, so:

• Locked thread