Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Waltzing Along posted:

The promotion going on for so long and so heavy points towards the studio knowing it is bad and--

Wait a minute... Those two things aren't connected at all! BULLSHIT ARTIST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
First Goldilocks watched the Papa Bear's ad campaign and said, "This campaign is too long!" Then, Goldilocks watched the Mama Bear's ad campaign and said, "This campaign is too short!" But then, Goldilocks watched the Baby Bear's campaign and said, "This campaign is ju-u-u-u-st right!"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Catfishenfuego posted:

I really hope this movie is good but I'm having trouble getting over the fact that Gal Godot delivers half her lines like a 70's Italian actor reading English phonetically.

That's a feature, not a bug.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It kind of reminds me of the difference between 300: Rise of an Empire and 300.

Which is to say, it's absolutely not bad by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, Jenkins is even doubling down on Snyder's style but even further exaggerating its comic dimensions. Like, that scene is really funny. The part where all the guys just look at each other thinking, "Well, I guess we'll just wait for the action scene to be over" is like something out of RoboCop '14.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I like how Tony Zhou made one video essay contrasting Hong Kong and U.S. action cinema - which didn't even reference Snyder at all - but now it's just a feather in the cap 'explaining why something is bad,' rather than clarifying what one has to do with the other.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah. One of the key points in that video is about how Jackie Chan keeps action and reaction in the same shot. Which have made previous instances of people trying to apply that video to Snyder as criticism pretty funny, considering the guy's love for long tracking shots of continuous action.

Don't forget wide angle lenses!

Obviously, there are both aesthetic and thematic deviations that Zhou's essay supports. For instance: Chan combines production design with choreography so that his character, no matter how invulnerable, always appears to be the underdog. The closest Snyder has gotten to an underdog story is Sucker Punch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My favorite part of the movie was when Ewen Bremner showed up. Had no idea he was in it.

Also, I dug the movie. I feel it's about on par with Suicide Squad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm of two minds about this:

On the one hand, establishing that Chief's secret identity is Napi entirely through exposition while only presenting him as slightly trickster-ish when he steals the car from the off-screen field while nobody's looking just seems kind of emblematic of the film's shortcomings.

On the other hand, maybe after folks watch the documentary Reel Injun they'll have more appreciation for why having exposition/characterization that only a select colonized people will understand is actually pretty neat and subversive in a mainstream Hollywood production. Ditto taking an archetype of the American West and transferring him to the Eastern front.

You know what I didn't like? When Diana leaves her sword on top of the roof when she's first encountering Ares, we cut away to the dudes, and then when we cut back it's the same exact shot but with a clumsy effect of Diana jumping down just to make it clear she went back up to the roof and got the sword. Like, that wasn't even funny - it was just clumsy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

WampaLord posted:

Didn't nearly the exact same thing happen in BvS with the kryptonite spear? Lois abandons it, then has to go get it again, for no real reason at all.

I'm not saying there was no reason for Diana to leave behind the sword. I don't care about the sword. I'm talking about how her getting the sword back is conveyed visually.

And, yes, Beavis is way funnier than Wonder Woman.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. It's an interesting move to introduce him that way, but it also seems like a bit of a waste in how they actually use the character given they had the idea. It's a movie that could stand to be a little odder, and expanding on this would have been a nice way to do it.

Gonna come right out with it: Chief deserves a movie way more than Wonder Woman. Just him and Ewen Bremner paling around on a Grand Illusion sort of trip.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's just this year's equivalent of Mad Max: Fury Road.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's like trickle-down economics, except now instead of fantasizing there's some socioeconomic justice coming from it, it's strictly about feeling good. Doping, if you will, for the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
300, eh?

• Locked thread