Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually, there's been quite a lot of talk that the movie hasn't been promoted heavily enough. So this is a weird, weird thing to say.

Doesn't actual data debunk this nonsense. They've spent a lot of money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

teagone posted:

All these positive reviews! My hopes and dreams are coming true :unsmith: Can't wait to see this next week.

[edit]

So many skulls... Did Snyder draw this?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

Unless I'm misreading, this is pretty loving waffley. Bill Clinton levels.

Also, holy poo poo, this writer person actually took the time to understand MoS and BVS instead of complaining like a retarded idiot. I'm impressed.
http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes/

edit:god dammit. reply isn't edit.

That review is such a joke. Wonder Woman inspires, thus the different tone and influence from Donner's Superman... But Superman apparently doesn't, thus the realistic tone of Man of Steel! You see, it is about the intrinsic nature of the character as inspirational! "On character terms, Diana stands apart from the previous DCEU heroes by simply being not human..."

Judakel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 30, 2017

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

This is totally true though. Superman was born an alien, but he was raised as a human, in the human world, just like Batman. Wonder Woman was raised apart from the human world, and then retreated again until the events of BvS, so she's an outsider capable of making criticisms of the human world in a way that someone who lives within it might not be able to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWTJIBGNId0

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

are you gonna quote Gorden Gekko and Tyler Durden next?

If you make a dumb point and it is applicable, sure.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

Ahaha someone actually willingly uses that kill bill bullshit as a serious response? Jeeeesus Christ.

I mean, it works as a speech in the movie because it's a parallel for the Wife's situation, but come the gently caress on, man, the only Superman that it's pertinent to is the 70's era one where he marries Jimmy to an Ape or slaps Lois for not making him a sandwich.

But I guess it's the Snyder movies that AREN'T MY SUPERMAN!

Here is how dumb your point is: Superman so clearly identifies as a Kryptonian rather than a human that even his diary is written in Kryptonian. In his most private of moments he doesn't consider himself human. Even in the animated series. He has always been Kryptonian, which is key to why he is just a much better person than all the humans around him. It isn't Kansas. It is his dad.

Guy A. Person posted:

It's barely even applicable to her situation it's a fictional sociopath's manipulative speech, it says more about his hosed up perspective than it does about Beatrix and certainly Superman

Woosh.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

oh yeah, i remember the part in the movie where he wrote in his journal in Kryptonian, it was right after the part in the movie where lois turned into a black woman and Jimmy Olsen switched minds with a gorilla.

You mean those awful movies?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

So your argument is that his review of MoS is dumb because it mischaracterizes the Superman from MoS as being non-alien but he clearly is alien as evidenced by other Superman stories but not MoS which is awful anyway

So an elaborate "Not My Superman"

Why not just say that poo poo in the first place?

It isn't a review of MoS, but just a dumb article defending Zack Snyder's decisions in those two other movies and claiming WW is most definitely not a reaction to the horrible reception of those two films because Diana isn't even human so you see it is totally normal to shift and WW is in no way "better" or anything.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

that is literally what we are talking about. this isn't BSS, that article is specifically about Zack Snyder's two Superman movies, why would I give half a poo poo what happened in one issue of a comic book?

Because that writer's point is that wonder woman is different because she isn't human. Follow the thread.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

I never meant for the discussion to go to WW from that writer's article - I merely wanted to point out what made MoS so divisive, but their point was that she was raised as an outsider. Clark discovers his alien heritage and views it through a modern human point of view while WW views the world through her alien (a thousand year old retro fantasy god-world) pov. And Batman is just psychotic so who knows what the gently caress he thinks.

And literally everything you've written misses the point, it's quite weird. :crossarms:

I didn't miss your point. I think the rest of the article shows just how sad that entire school of reasoning is, though.

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure you'd be able to find an issue or three where you can make the exact opposite argument. It's weird that you get so abrasive because some guy's point is clearly invalidated by two examples from over 75 years of publication history.

Maybe, but I seriously doubt those two examples are the only ones. In fact, I would be willing to bet that things which run counter to those 2 examples are in the small minority compared to things which support those 2 examples.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 31, 2017

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ungulateman posted:

So was Leonardo Da Vinci secretly a mirror beast from the Opposite Dimension because his journals and diaries were written backwards?

That isn't relevant.

Grendels Dad posted:

If you want to make the point that Superman is a callous sociopath an alien the Golden Age will yield plenty evidence, I guess. On the other hand, every single character from that era seems alien today.

Nah, callous sociopath is Snyder's bag.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 31, 2017

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

If saving the world makes you a sociopath, sure.

*moves out of the way of a truck instead of stopping it*

Guy A. Person posted:

So Judakel are you planning to see the movie?

Yeah, it sounds like it will be better than the other two.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gyges posted:

No, that isn't the writer's point. The writer's point is using the concept of the DC Trinity to show that Wonder Woman having a different tone/point of view than either MoS or BvS is neither a flaw nor a reactionary sea change in the DCCU. Wonder Woman being different because she has a non-human point of view is simply part of the construction of that point.

Other than using the comic terminology of the Trinity, that is all quite clearly and directly laid out. You don't have to agree with the author that Snyder Superman and Batman aren't wrong to accept the fairly innocuous point that a movie where Zack Snyder has writing and producing credits isn't a refutation of Zack Snyder. Zack Snyder also has a cameo role in the movie that really shows Zack Snyder what for.

That was the writer's point.

Ghosthotel posted:

You linked a screen cap from the animated series as some sort of proof as to what superman is supposed to be like or w/e so how do you say poo poo like this and reconcile with him doing this poo poo all the time in the cartoon and sometimes worse???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwA-OTaY24

Right in the beginning of that clip he just folds these dudes guns onto their hands and watches them writhe in pain like jesus christ superman what's your problem?

Let's not forget the fan favorite darkseid episode where superman is just casually knocking him through buildings. That's okay but the fight scene in MoS isn't because...?

That is very true. Even animated Superman has some really dumb moments. The point of the screencap was to simply show this was an ongoing feature of Superman's character even as late as the 90s. The animated series did plenty of things that they just thought looked cool without thinking about the moral repercussions. All this while painting Superman as a pretty great guy, too.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 1, 2017

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Yea, he realizes his mistake and is pretty distracted, which leads to Zod beating the poo poo out of him.

So he is just an idiot, then?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

hump day bitches! posted:

You are not an idiot for not taking the correct decision after a series of new live or death situations.

Sounds like it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Darko posted:

Eh, he said something like the armistice would lead to even greater destruction, which I took as WW2.

He would be responsible for that by extension, too.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

Unless they were knocking on her island door it's not like the Amazons would really know current events around the world, right? Maybe they were turtling down preparing to prevent another potential invasion or something and they heard about ww2 and were all like, "Ares isn't loving with you this time? lol we'll come back when y'all're finished with all that bullshit."

That bullshit being the holocaust. But my boyfriend...

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously no superhero movie is ever going to have action as good as Man of Steel's

*endless exploooosioooonss*

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yaws posted:

Oh wow, I guess this means WW will be forgotten the second one leaves the theater.

The alternative was for it to be remembered for the bad taste in left in people's mouths, ala BvS.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't see a lot of movies, not in theaters at least. So maybe it doesn't mean much when I say this was one of the worst movie I've seen in theaters.

Can someone who knows film making and story telling explain to me why I was so easily able to suspend my disbelief while watching Captain America and accept how it worked World War 2 into such an inherently silly genre while I found myself constantly offended by how this movie worked itself in World War 1?

I admit I'm a total amateur :goonsay: historian but I don't feel like I'm nitpicking here, I just found everything absolutely baffling. It's not like it was any less realistic than Captain America, in fact it tried to be more grounded. But maybe that's the problem?

Captain America fought Hydra, a Nazi subdivision. It found a way to have Nazis as enemies without having Nazis onscreen. As I remember it, it didn't insert itself into WW2 nearly as much as the comics. Rogers wants to fight, but he can't join up, so he ends up partaking in this experiment and performing very specific operations afterwards. None of which are part of actual campaigns.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tenzarin posted:

I don't get why people call MoS dark. The darkest thing in the movie is the kryptonians raising their entire population with imposed genetic limits to breed slaves but no one ever talks about that and its a small point in the movie.

It is dealt with in a satisfactory way. As opposed to the countless lives lost in the final battle.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

That's kind of a weak connection, because it's not connected with any change in his status. He's a god before and a god after, and the implication is that he's destroyed the heavens, since he killed the rest of the gods.

It isn't a weak connection at all. He is right. The movie doesn't understand Greek mythology. You're out of your depth here.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol you are a lunatic

This isn't the movie "tak(ing) the bleakest interpretation" of everything, you are doing that all on your own. Half the stuff you describe is so mundane it's not worth mentioning (like seriously, the bad guy threatening people??) and a bunch of other stuff is part of Superman's normal story (complaining about Krypton being destroyed? I hate to tell you what happens to Spider-Man's uncle)

Simply because something is "so mundane" that you ignore it, does not mean careful observers should ignore it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

You're absolutely right, the movie actually is darker because superman breaks a chunk off a mountain :jerkbag:

Maybe Tony Stark had his robot butler buy the mountain off screen just before Supes wrecked it. That would make things better

Superman is a fascist with a distaste for accountability who is simultaneously positioned as the hero. So, yeah.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Schwarzwald posted:

Did you miss the big twist at the end where Ares was very specifically not behind it all?

Did you ignore the ending?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes. While Wonder Woman was busy killing Ares, Steve and buddies stopped the chemical attack that threatened to prevent the armistice.

Pretending that this movies does not try to have it both ways, with all the evidence people have pointed out, is just asinine.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ungulateman posted:

pre-empting the judakel post: yeah they'd look a lot better am i right fellas???

I mean, they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry maybe I was being overly harsh but I really don't buy that bringing up a Marvel film apropos of nothing wasn't just your garden variety "Marvel is going to do it better" bait. Also pointing out that Marvel hasn't gotten it right isn't anywhere close to "DC's poo poo doesn't stink".

I mean, Marvel certain has gotten comic book films right.

• Locked thread