Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

teagone posted:

I'm trying so hard not to respond to Alisha Grauso on twitter (editor-at-large for Moviepilot, a site I sometimes write clickbait articles on for kicks) because she claims the worst parts of Wonder Woman had Zack Snyder's fingerprints all over them. I suppose she had her Snyder detector on at maximum to know exactly when and at which point in the movie that was influenced by Zack Snyder himself. I'm guessing it was all the slow motion bits.

Someone did call her out on that in another tweet, and then she went into full defensive mode bringing gender into the issue... :munch: Can't wait till the embargo on full reviews lifts.

[edit] Can't stop reading twitter. All the positive reactions are encouraging, and I'm struggling to hold firm on keeping my expectations in check. But if the full reviews are all glowing, then poo poo, Ima go full loving fanboy.

All of the DCCU is going to be an expanded inverse of the Ant-Man online debate. If you liked it, it was clearly Edgar Wright in Ant-Man, and if you hated it, it was clearly Zack Snyder in the DCCU.

For instance: Edgar Wright obviously gave us all of the Luis dialog and Zack Snyder clearly choreographed Enchantress' "dance" scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BrianWilly posted:

Sure, I'm ready to see Chris Pine's rear end.

Too bad, you'll get Ares' rear end and you'll like it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- WWI is apparently a terrible war that killed about 20 people.

Well, at least it killed more people than the Alien Invasion of New York, the attempt to turn a European city into an ELT, and a terrorist suicide bombing in a crowded market place, combined.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

WWI was a real event. It has a Wikipedia page and everything.

It's just kind of funny because Chris Pine spends the first half of the movie going "You don't know what the real world is like! This is the war to end all wars! The slaughter out there..."

*Every German and British soldier in No-Man's-Land gets shot in the leg/shoulder and crawls back to the trenches*

That's a weirdly defensive post about a movie I'm assuming you haven't seen, my dude.

Oh, not defending it at all. Just making a joke about the stupid low death counts in these Comic Book movies about wars and conflict and stuff.

You'd think they could at least work in the cliche scene where they have people pouring over a newly posted long list of newly confirmed dead for their friends and loved ones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

Can't remember but, is it said directly in BvS (or I guess here) that WW "walked away from humanity" immediately after WW1? Maybe she stuck around to try to help rebuild then when it was obvious that even without Ares the world still birthed fascism and even more war so she left around/before WW2*?

* christ this is potentially confusing haha

Maybe at the end she got around to asking someone how the whole war started, and then said gently caress this once she learned WWI's insane bureaucratic boogie to war.

Please tell me that the movie at least touches on some of the insane Trench Warfare innovations, like spy trees.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...it's finally happening. We're directly equating grimness with quality here now. Like, flat out not even bothering to hide it anymore.

Also lol if the fans like a movie then it must secretly be bad. Again, not even bothering with the pretense anymore; popular movies are bad, only movies that no one likes are good.

I think it's more that the setting is WWI and our introduction to Wonder Woman was her talking about how her experiences in WWI caused her to turn her back on the world of man, then, apparently, 20 people die and that's just too much.

Obviously I haven't seen it, and I am still hopeful and planning on checking it out opening weekend. But WWI was just such an unbelievable clusterfuck that rarely has movies about it, and it seems, from what people who have seen it are saying, that they wasted the setting. Could it be a good movie despite that? Sure, and that's likely going to be my opinion since I've more or less liked what DC has put out so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Too bad Chris shaved the beard he was sporting in the promos for the movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Semper Fudge posted:

Frankly I'm disappointed that Raiders of the Lost Ark glossed over the whole Holocaust thing

Yes, that famous scene when Indy goes to Auschwitz to steal an ancient artifact.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lurdiak posted:

The movie's basically done. This isn't an Eyes Wide Shut situation, it'll probably be 99% Snyder and 1% Whedon in the final product.

I'm looking forward to a continuation of DC's reverse Ant Man syndrome as people praise all the good things that Joss Whedon has done with Justice League.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I said come in! posted:

Joss Whedon was hated after Age of Ultron, so I am surprised at the praise he is getting for stepping in as the editor for Justice League.

The internet consensus is that MCU=Good and DCCU=Bad, so when the "face" of the DCCU is replaced with the former "face" of the MCU, then good things must be happening. Also the hate for the Age of Ultron was fairly localized as far as internet thing go, unlike MoS and BvS.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tenzarin posted:

Why did people hate MoS?

The popular internet consensus is Not My Superman. Which isn't to say there aren't valid reasons not to like it, but the popular consensus for why it's bad is pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Judakel posted:

Because that writer's point is that wonder woman is different because she isn't human. Follow the thread.

No, that isn't the writer's point. The writer's point is using the concept of the DC Trinity to show that Wonder Woman having a different tone/point of view than either MoS or BvS is neither a flaw nor a reactionary sea change in the DCCU. Wonder Woman being different because she has a non-human point of view is simply part of the construction of that point.

Other than using the comic terminology of the Trinity, that is all quite clearly and directly laid out. You don't have to agree with the author that Snyder Superman and Batman aren't wrong to accept the fairly innocuous point that a movie where Zack Snyder has writing and producing credits isn't a refutation of Zack Snyder. Zack Snyder also has a cameo role in the movie that really shows Zack Snyder what for.

• Locked thread