Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

In MOS a big deal is made of how Kryptonians are birthed into a role that they are genetically designed for. General Zod can't not be a General because that's how he's designed. But Kal-el (superman) wasn't genetically engineered, so there is no set role for him. He can be whatever he wants but the movie continues to force him into situations where he's put into a box. First with his father's death and then in killing Zod.

It's a very anti-heroic way of handling the character. Throughout the history of fiction we've been used to heroes get put into a "How are they going to get out of this?" situation. It sets up the cheer when the hero breaks out of the situation they are boxed into. MOS didn't do that. Superman is boxed into a situation. Zod wants him to kill and Superman never escapes that story box. There's no clever escape, just a dull leaded thud at the end of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Jimbot posted:

There's no clever way of defeating a demi-god that's better than you are in every single way. So he decided to sacrifice something about himself instead of sacrificing those people to stay pure and innocent. The whole movie is about Clark figuring out how to lead his life, either by one father's ideology or another. He was boxed in the entire movie. By Batman v Superman, he decided to live his life his own way, by just being another guy doing what he thinks is right. Not someone who blends in nor someone to act as a guiding line for humanity (though his selfless example did elevate him into an ideal to strive towards at the end).

He's just an overall decent person trying to do some good while making mistakes along the way. Classical heroism. The heroic myth about him is what is built up during and after his exploits.

That's the flaw. Zod was a better soldier than Clark could ever be. But because Zod was programed from birth for that role and only that role, he's better than Clark in one way. Clark has other potential strengths to draw on so that as a complete whole he's stronger, more capable than Zod.

It would help if he is put in a similar situation again and goes "No, I've learned from my mistakes. Here's a solution" and it needs to be something that neither the audience or the villain expected.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

It would be funny for Diana to get pissed at how terrible mankind is based on WWI and take a twenty year sabbatical, just to come back in time for WWII.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

One of my issues with this movie is that multiple times women ran up / crashed in / rode on a horse wearing in boob armor and not one soldier soldier said "Mam, this is a war zone, you can't be here"
There's a lot of stuff that falls apart if you think about, but this really is the best of the DC movies.

Like a lot of people, I liked from her climbing into no man's land to the french village The end seemed like a lot of CGI fighting CGI with voice over. My favorite moment was "Ooh, a Baby" Nice bit of humanization.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Steve's sacrifice isn't Christian, it's Captain American :haw:

That's hilariously on target. "He could have ditched it in the ocean!" applies here as well. I do wonder how the refugees got through No Man's Land, the trenches were an unbroken line from the ocean to Switzerland.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Pan was the real god of battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

By then they had plenty of practice.

• Locked thread