Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghosthotel posted:

It's pretty much a stand alone film except for some small stuff.

Very minor spoilers:

The movie starts off with Diana receiving the original copy of the WW1 photo as a gift from Bruce Wayne and that's pretty much as connected as it gets to the other movies.

Really, it takes place a hundred years ago, how connected could it be? Would Steve Trevor's biplane have a Wayne Industries engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A bunch of people who didn't like MoS or BvS don't like Wonder Woman either? :aaa:

This also reminds me of when MoS came out and early reviewers were like "Superman ABORTS BABIES" and poo poo. This place is hardly immune to hype, or anti-hype. I'll see for myself, thanks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel with the appropriate emotional impact that the regretfully necessary act of justified homicide in the defense of others should have on a morally centered person and was called a monster. People asked why he couldn't be more like the happy and reassuring 70s version, who threw his harmless captives into antiseptic pits never to be seen again with the triumphant cheer of the underdog getting his revenge at the end of a teen comedy?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doflamingo posted:

Personally I think killing Zod was fine but the overall script was bad and the acting was bad and even the best action scenes just felt like video game cutscenes. The movie was not good for a whole bunch reasons other than "NOT MY SUPERMAN" bullshit.

Doflamingo posted:

Having said that it was still a lot better than BvS. Holy crap that movie sucked! I have no doubt Wonder Woman will beat that dreck at the very least.

Yeah but you're wrong about this stuff too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure you'd be able to find an issue or three where you can make the exact opposite argument. It's weird that you get so abrasive because some guy's point is clearly invalidated by two examples from over 75 years of publication history.

Yeah, say virtually every issue written since 1986.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Given how the 20th century went, it's probably already happened.

Submitted for your consideration: this is actually the best timeline.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

And the Soviet Union was good, or at least better than what preceded and followed it

Jesus loving Christ.

I've got ten million murdered Ukrainians on line one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's where lovely communist whitewashing belongs so, sure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

His tendency in the film is to arrive at a conclusion and work backward to prove it.

The most realistic take on a super-detective yet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ha, the one time they don't make a tie-in prequel comic and people want one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, but there's mortals with the name Napi.

It's been a bit since I've seen the movie. Does the guy do anything to associate himself with the legendary Napi? What does it add to the movie to say that dude is the Blackfoot demigod? How does it change how we interpret it?

There's lots of people named Jesus but if someone speaking Aramaic said "hi, I'm Jesus, but keep it on the down-low" in a story about the redemption of mankind it might be significant.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not saying it's not significant, but there's a difference between interpreting that as a reference and as a cameo by the son of God.

The difference is context clues, and making a reading which follows the evidence instead of vice versa.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd agree. The only evidence I've seen for Napi being the Napi is a note in a script, but I'm legitimately interested in arguments.

Judging from the Avengers discussion you treat films like found footage from which one derives objective information about the reality depicted so I don't know why I was expecting anything else.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kawabata posted:

I'm quoting this from last page to remind everyone of how absolutely terrible the mustache was, and while the narration was also bad you could at least say that it was forgettable. The mustache stays with you much longer.

Whoever decided that having a loving 60 years old turn of the century british dude as Ares was a good idea should never ever have creative power again in his life. Not even to choose the furniture of his own bedroom.

This is why it was good

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think James Cameron kinda lacks the language for what he's trying to get across here, aside from that Strong Female Protagonist kinda just doesn't cut it anymore.

I got the opposite impression out of that statement, if the character isn't overcoming personal damage and taking on a hardened edge then she isn't "legit". Raving about having to "demonstrate the same thing over again" doesn't sound like a concern over people needing to move on.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They're not though, one's being inclusive and one's being regressive. Jenkins' perspective is that there's more than one type of strong woman, overcoming loss and pain to find personal strength is fine but women characters should be able to be more than that and Cameron nigh-literally went "NUH-UH THAT'S DUMB".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

And little girls are going to be able to relate to a god created by Zeus raised on an island of Amazons?

Oh poo poo, I just realized I didn't actually relate to Superman as a kid because I wasn't an alien survivor of a doomed world raised by Kansas farmers. Thanks for setting me straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why we can't just take her origin story and the whole movie at face value. It's a comic book movie.

Because then there's nowhere for the farts to go.

• Locked thread