Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This feels like really all I need to see of this show.

Anyway, this movie was serviceable, not great, not awful, and not memorable. It also seemed to drag interminably in the middle and the ending was underwhelming. It is the epic drama of watching a woman learn that humans are actually responsible for their own decisions.

At least it proves that women headlining mediocre summer tentpoles can be normalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

teagone posted:

Haven't the Terminator movies taught you anything?

If we try to rewrite history enough times it will overwrite itself completely, which given how the twentieth century went might not be a bad last resort.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I assume that's supposed to tie into his "I've been doing this for 20 years and don't give a gently caress anymore" attitude. Diana and Clark seem to be motivated by a sense of "doing the right thing" but Bruce is motivated by a sense of revenge and also that this is all he knows.
Right, but I mean the party was full of famous rich people. I was just wondering why she only seems to look at him and knew to follow him. How else would she have found the drive and know it belonged to Bruce?

ITT we put more work into BvS than BvS did

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

*in an extremely Ken Burns narrator voice* "It was at this point in the robbery that David and the rest of the gang began to realize that they had really hosed up."

I don't really understand why Wonder Woman bothers to dodge or deflect anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

She just switches between "Wonder Fu" and "Wonder Goku" based on whichever thing would look cooler or be more considered more dramatically appropriate. So she has to dodge bullets, but she can also tank death rays from the Antichrist.

This is also noticeable with the other DC characters, when you get stuff like Batman having to wear Frank Miller Armor to fight Superman, but reacting to being shot point blank in the back of the head ten minutes later like someone snapped a wet towel at him.

I guess it's no sillier than Tony Stark becoming immune to physics when he has the Iron Man suit on, or the Hulk jobbing whenever he goes rogue, or Captain America curling a helicopter. Everyone focuses their chi as appropriate to the situation. Every DC movie tends to end with characters hadoukening each other on a moonscape though, no matter what was going on previously.

The point being, I am pretty sure you could empty a mag into Wonder Woman's face while she sat there and nothing would happen one way or another--unless the narrative called for it, like she had turned evil or a trusted character warned her that she was being a dumbass and would lose.

Or maybe she doesn't want to instantly disintegrate everyone in the room with god particles.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 23, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

K. Waste posted:

It's just this year's equivalent of Mad Max: Fury Road.

lol it wishes it was that good.

Wonder Woman was a recovery from two overhyped trash films to overhyped OK filmmaking, and now everyone all the sudden is all-in on it because it made way more money than expected. It is the narrative of "DCU is showing renewed promise!" against the narrative of "DC's MCU ripoffs are pathetic!", neither of which are really true.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wonder Woman will pass $400 million domestically this weekend. The last big market for it to open in Japan on August 25th. However, Japan doesn't seem to be big on superhero films so it probably won't make a big impact on the numbers. There's also some people upset at the marketing for the Japan release. The "image song" they're using to promote it is called "A Woman Should Never Sleep Alone" and the marketing material is emphasizing her "lack of romantic experience"

Unsubtle attempt at Japanese social engineering, I guess.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japans-falling-birth-rate-posing-serious-problems-for-economy-a7770596.html

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Children see Wonder Woman as a role model" is a bar so low that it's not even a bar.

"Physically powerful and classically beautiful" getting warmer.

"Is not framed as a woman attempting to hang and compete with males and their standards (and failing)" warmer yet.

"After being brought up by closeted and disenchanted lesbians that leave her with child-like emotions and social skills, Wonder Woman becomes a successful sociopolitical radical in a story marketed to children" - mmm yeah that's the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

The rumours that she would be fighting the Soviets have given rise to some entertaining possibilities indeed.

Wonder Woman disappears from the western historical record for 100 years because her history is sitting on a shelf in the Kremlin next to Hitler's skull.

• Locked thread