Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Still remember buying Superunknown when I was 11-12 at Ann & Hope (New England goons might remember this store) and Down on the Upside when i was 13-14 at Sam Goody in Faneuil Hall on a class trip to Boston. I remember the first time seeing the Cochise video before the album came out late night when I had MTV on in the background and was like whoa is that Chris Cornell and Tom/Tim from Rage? Didn't get into Badmotorfinger outside of what was played on the radio and Ultramega OK until later but they're amazing.

I don't listen to Soundgarden that often any more but they were a huge influence on my tastes as an adult. Glad I got to see them live a few years ago.

I didn't even know this concert existed, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gv_0FNGifM funny to me how Chris still looks like such a rockstar and Mike looks like a dad.

RIP Andy/Layne/Chris and everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Don't forget about Buzz

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Buzz spent very little time in Seattle and moved before the scene got hot. He's lived most of his life in SF and LA.

Yeah I don't consider the Melvins body of work part of the same "scene" necessarily but Gluey Porch Treatments was a huge influence on the "Seattle sound" or grunge or whatever you want to call it. Plus he was friends with Kurt and I feel like every time they need someone to talk about how exploitative subpop was he's always there to talk about it.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Is the social media revisionist history of Scott Weiland being like, a contemporary of Chris Cornell bothering anyone else a bit? Like first we lost Scott and now Chris. I dunno even when I was a kid I felt like Core was just Nirvana/Alice in Chains worship and they didn't really do anything interesting until their third album.

I always appreciated how the grunge bands were all interwoven with side projects and guest appearances on albums, and STP was never a part of that in any fashion. Anyone interested should check out this book on AIC it's obviously a really sad read with what happened to Layne but it talks about how close a lot of these guys were coming up together, IIRC Chris Cornell was one of the first ones that made it to the hospital when Andrew Wood died https://www.amazon.com/Alice-Chains-Untold-David-Sola/dp/1250048079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495122548&sr=8-1

• Locked thread