Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Lots of frame drops especially in some 3 player parts, the base consoles definitely can't hack it anymore. My mate with a PS4 pro said he didn't see any frame drops but my OG PS4 can't keep up. It's like the WOTM siege engine boss but on some of the busier fights basically (the assault wave on the campaign mission, drills section on the strike mission).

Asides from technical performance it's an improvement in every single way. The new weapon system makes sense, the new abilities and existing designs are cool(er) as gently caress. I was shocked to actually see other players in the campaign mission. That's a first for Destiny. The crucible 4v4 makes so much sense once you actually play it, and the new UI helps the flow massively and makes it feel slower paced and thoughtful even in pugs. That goon who described it as Counterstrike nailed it imo, it's pretty much Space Counterstrike, and crucible in D2 has a real identity and 'feel' of its own if that makes sense?

It's another dead gay game, be prepared to put another 10,000 hours into it

sunday at work posted:

How are SMGs?

I only tried the Omolon one, it's hilariously inaccurate and kicks like a mule but it's really fun to use! It clears out rooms in close quarters, which is the purpose of SMGs :)

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you want to feel better about destiny go read the Reddit because it's a goldmine right now

'help I only get super once every ten matches, this is bullishit' a post by a person apparently forgetting to fire their weapon at enemies

Reddit is a shithole full of neckbeards and permavirgins, I never understood those guys, I got a super like 7-8 times in the strike

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I just had a linear fusion rifle (veist tarantula) drop at the end of the strike, tried it out for a bit. It's definitely my jam. I'm so happy they made the sleeper simulant a whole new weapon archetype by itself in D2. It's fun as hell to use.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Or things like the small titan barrier that reloads when you crouch, we're not really taking advantage fully yet. A coordinated team with that and warlock rift can tear through a lot of health. You can pop in and out with the exotic minigun and fire forever for a good chunk of damage and I'll bet there's even better weapons to take advantage.

That's one other thing I thought was strange - the titan and warlock class abilities are very very useful and a good team will destroy everything with proper coordinated usage. One of my inverted strike pugs banded together to use the warlock weapon buff & titan barrier with reload perk and made quick work of the adds on the boss.
The hunter class ability is awful though. It needs a redesign. A simple roll that isn't even that nimble on a 17? second cooldown and confers no benefits to the team.
There's a big gulf in usefulness there. It should have been a simple sub-ability that you pick from the perks screen, not an entire special ability. With nightstalker rumored to be gone, the hunter class ability should have been the invisibility smoke grenade.

The class ability is supposed to be team-oriented. I'm not sure what Bungie's vision for the hunter ability is, but it's really jarring & incongruent.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think Bungie pretty much knows and are resigned to the fact that D2 is for D1 fans, despite all their protestations that the story is brand-new to cater to newcomers. If they wanted a hard sell to lapsed and sceptical people, they would have presented a different beta test. It's More Destiny, and that's exactly what we want

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think my only disappointment is that the farm is its own zone. I thought it was found in the EDZ patrol area, but the makeup of it make its really clear that it's a separately loaded, hived off area that you have to load into and out of.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm hoping that the patrol areas are actually open areas this time and not just a bunch of big rooms connected by corridors.
It's hard to tell by wandering out of bounds from the inverted spire strike, it seems more open. I couldn't see any bottlenecks in the area that denoted 'you are now leaving/entering this area'.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Just seems like the Halo 2 sentinel beam rifle to me.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Go play Halo 2 then.

What the gently caress are you on about now

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Stop acting like your AV

RAAWR

I'm not trying to start a catfight here, but I'm genuinely curious why you seemed to have a negative reaction to my first post, it was literally just a simple observation and it seemed to have pissed you off out of nowhere, I'm baffled

In fact every time I see 'Vintersorg' it induces a pavlov reaction oh yeah this is the guy that seems to get a bit combative about well, everything.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Have you converted it to D2 Totoro?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Aren't we the fallen now, since we lost the traveler just like they did

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It depends on what the situation calls for, silent protagonists suit a pseudo-mmo like Destiny since everyone is their own player character and the sidekick does all the talking for them. Then you get games like MGSV where the central character is literally the most pivotal figure set in the most pivotal era in the entire series yet he's mute save for a handful of lines in a 40+ hour story.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

eonwe posted:

2 weeks until i can play destiny 2 on pc

:eonwe:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I really love the Aksis music, that bit where it plays the fallen battle theme midway through it during one of the phases is sublime.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

:kyoon:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Lumpy posted:

This expansion is shaping up to be pretty good.

Are you going to be making D2 raids

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Who gives a toss about anthem, bioware are has-beens who writes lovely erotic alien fanfic and covers up mediocre gameplay with it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tei posted:

The real game is meaningless. Executives react to perceptions. And the perception of Anthem is that make Destiny looks like a bordelands mod.

Absolutely nobody is going to lose sleep over games made by Bioware and published by EA.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Some of the footage shows a German-style Suros maschinenpistole and it looks disgustingly fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MFoDNMpMZE&t=618s

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

My Microsoft account is somewhere in the inky black void of non-existence, I can't sign in with my main MS account because it asks for my hotmail password, I can't sign in with my hotmail account because it asks for my main MS password, and it's stuck in some weird loop where neither account will recognize the other despite being linked. I had 3 RROD happen in two years so I gave up on MS forever after that

Then I bought a PS4 and the username email entry box wouldn't accept enough characters to put my PS3 user email in so I had to make another PSN account. Then Sony got hacked and I had to cancel my cards.

Consoles are so poo poo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Don't do that btw it can gently caress your teeth up!!!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Disband it and join KINK, there is absolutely no point splintering PS4 goons like this

Take a leaf from the bone krew

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Can anyone tell me what is different from D1, because I am watching the Giant Bomb quick look and it looks like poo poo is the same except some UI improvements.

It's literally exactly the same game

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

im low key nervous that there's been no announcement on the number and variety of pvp maps

The balancing is heavily, heavily pvp-centric to the detriment of the pve so I'd expect a lot of content

Bungo wants a slice of the esports pie

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tei posted:

It make me happy that the Destiny 2 beta currently running in the IBM console is such a success.

Apparently, people is finding the game graphics glorious, motion smooth, and gameplay fine. Not everyone is crazy about it, but thats ok.

It apparently runs at a billion frames per second on your grandma's toaster, baffling why it's 30 on consoles. Guys with decade old hardware are seeing better output than base ps4/bone

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

eonwe posted:

seriously that strike was loving breathtakingly fun

I am really excited for this game. thanks console buddies for all the explanation you gave me, and even to my bud AAB who ran through the strike with me

the strike actually felt pretty intense to me in certain parts and really pretty and relaxing in others. if raids are more intense than that then I'm excited

Oh man I really wish we could take you to see heroic Aksis

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I used to raid with goons all the time and don't really say much, unless it was important (raid boss stuff) you'd be surprised at how chill they are
Fair play if you don't wanna, there are more than plenty of things to do asides from the raids. It's just that the raids are really really quite good and that's why so many posters are pushing that particular point. It's an experience and it's a shame to miss out on it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tei posted:

I think I saw a harvesteable material in one of the released patrol videos (some sort of crystal shard). Tokens seems to acquire gear.... or I am wrong?

You hand in tokens to the zone's relevant NPC (in EDZ's case that's Devrim Kay) to increase your reputation with him/her. When you've filled the reputation bar up, you get a couple of pieces of gear for it. The gear you get in this way seems to be zone-themed too. Ghilly-like EDZ armor for the titan, guns made by Devrim Kay etc.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Only five strikes (not including PS4 exclusive one) in the game according to the prematurely released strategy guide

That just seems seriously low to me. There's 15 in Destiny 1 so far.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That gamestop thing seems unfair. In UK/EU, every preorder gets the ghost.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Taking the piss out of each others choice of platform is a Destiny goon pastime, personal insults take it too far imo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The striker super owns bones

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nice

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

loving casuals. loving plebs. I use my Dreamcast fishing rod controller

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Striker titan is the #1 thing I'm looking forward to in D2, ever since they upgraded it to be a roaming super :byoscience:

It's just so great!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Just don't over think it, class differences really aren't that important, 99% of the time they perform identically. You can roll with any combination of classes in the strikes and raids, even all six of the same one. It's like Diablo, there are no 'roles', just shooting the gently caress out of everything. The abilities are down to personal preference, anyone can kick rear end with them. They are so balanced and equally fun that virtually for all of Destiny's life, class representation polled at roughly the same 33% with a percent variation every now and then.

If you find yourself liking the game and spending lots of time on it, you will end up rolling one of each class in the end, as we all do.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 3, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sefal posted:

isn't the disc just a drm thing now. since the game is basically completely installed on the ps4???

I think most games are flat out installed now, it's just quicker to seek the data off the storage. Less load times, more reliable on-the-fly data streaming

It's why some 360 games really struggle and sometimes flat out won't even load on a HDD-less console

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No comparison. D2 appears to be about identical to Vanilla.

D2 should be a lot more sustainable than D1 was at launch at the very least. That game was very threadbare in its 1.0 incarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

hitchensgoespop posted:

Does that mean that if your in the U.K. you can play at 11pm?

Nah, it's gmt+1 right now in the UK. Daylight savings time. It's midnight for us.