Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

VanillaGorilla posted:

If I'm being honest, that a DT movie is happening at all is kind of a miracle. There have been maybe a couple of adaptations of King's work that have been decent. And even if they made a decent DT adaptation, it likely wouldn't do gangbusters at the box office. It's just not that hot an IP, and it would be a costly project for any studio to take on - which is exactly why the big Ron Howard thing collapsed in on itself.

It's a risky movie to make, and Hollywood is a tremendously risk averse place. I suspect that this is happening because they've already sunk a bunch of money into development over the last decade or so, and decided to produce SOMETHING from all that work to see if it stuck to the wall.

Not really, unless I'm reading it wrong almost every movie based on a Stephen King work made a profit. Eight of them have made over $75 million if you adjust for inflation. Carrie, The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Misery, Stand By Me, it's definitely more than "maybe a couple" and he's a big name people go out to see his work. In total Box Office Mojo has his movies making over $2B with an average of about $56M which seems more than decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Basebf555 posted:

This is kind of uncharted waters though, because King's stuff has never really been the type to necessitate $100mil+ budgets, this is really the first time his material is being used to create a major blockbuster. The standards of success are a lot different, when you make The Mist for 18 million and it makes 60 million, that's a success. When you spend 80-100 million on The Dark Tower that puts it into a different category where just making a few hundred million at the box office isn't going to cut it.

I can see that, but I don't necessarily agree. The Running Man is Arnold just a couple years after Terminator with a pretty significant budget and it did pretty well. BUT then you have something like Dreamcatcher where they spent almost $70m and definitely didn't recoup that money so yeah it could go either way. I'm curious about your last point, though, how if the budget is $100m and they make "a few hundred million" presumably $300m+ how does that not cut it? That seems like a pretty decent profit but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Basebf555 posted:

A decent profit isn't really the return on the investment that studios are looking for from these huge tentpole blockbusters. It's a zero sum game, so that 100 mil and those years spent in development could have been used for something that theoretically could have done a lot better than "just" 200 or 300 million. It would be regarded as not a flop, yet still somewhat of a missed opportunity. I'm not saying I agree with that but its the way these huge films are evaluated these days.

Gotcha, I hadn't thought about that but it makes total sense.

• Locked thread