Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Is it me or is the ad campaign for this not really as robust as it should be? I saw a trailer for DT played in front of Baby Driver this weekend and even as someone who is a fan of the books and will (probably) see this in theaters, I had no idea when the actual release was. For whatever reason I thought this was getting released in October or November, not the August movie dumping period.

I'm hoping it does well because I like all Elba, McConaghey, etc and would love to see the DT series get a proper adaptation, but sheesh it seems like someone is dropping the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Pretty sure this movie is mostly book 1, with some mixed around bits and pieces from books 2, 3, and 6 (IIRC): Roland spending time in 'our' universe, Jake's encounters with the haunted house waypoint in NYC, showdown at the Dixie Pig with the minions and low-men, etc. I haven't read the series in forever so my specifics might be off, but that's the gist.

If (and it's a gigantic 'IF' at this point) the movie makes enough money then we'll get the rest of the series spread between TV mini-series and more full length movies.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Fart City posted:

Honestly it kind of feels like it was finally just its turn on the "High Fantasy Novel Series Adaption" wheel of fortune. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if somebody high up in the studio foodchain just looked at a franchise of seven books by Stephen King and did the movie math and was like, "well that's at least eight theatrical releases right there. Let's make it happen."

I've been struggling to find the right word to describe how this adaption feels from the marketing, and I've finally settled on "pedestrian."

And for a series as batshit as TDT, it should be anything but. Like if it's going to be a trainwreck, I at least want it to be a foaming-at-the-mouth trainwreck with rhyming lobster monsters and sex ghosts.

I think people are underestimating how much old people LOVE anything with Stephen King's name on it. That'll put some asses in seats if nothing else. He hasn't written a better than average quality book since he stopped doing coke but that doesn't stop his books from selling A LOT. The latter day airplane read stuff he cranks out now does numbers. No way of knowing if that will translate to a decent opening for DT (doubt it).

Diabetic posted:

Idris just seems like he doesn't care where Matt seems really into it, IMO.

Let's just go back and cast Matt as Walter again and redo everything else.

Idris is just milking his current status as "that Black actor in mostly supporting roles that everyone likes despite having seen almost nothing of his work" before Mahershala Ali takes over. Also I think he comes off like that in all of his promo stuff, regardless of what movie it is.

The diversity nod is nice, but honestly I would've rather seen this happen with William Fichtner as Roland (I think he got floated as a potential pick back around 2000).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Fidelity to the racist as poo poo characterization of Susannah et. al would've been a bigger mistake than whatever disaster they've committed to film already.

FWIW, I think Idris Elba is a perfectly fine choice for Roland but no matter who was cast they would've had an uphill battle against the summer blockbuster by committee that this production apparently was.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I guess it was too much to hope for that the "Walking Dead showrunner" was going to be Darabont and not the other guy. Oh well. If DT doesn't do well in theaters I'd expect that Elba's agent will be smart enough to get him out of the TV show, same as the main actress from the Divergent series. Wizard & Glass doesn't even make sense with an adult Roland so God knows how they got SK to sign off on that.

We'll probably never see the Drawing of the Three, but I still think that Steven Yeun as Eddie and Aubrey Plaza as Susannah would be a great casting (or Rutina Wesley, if they're determined to keep her Black and somehow get the characterization to work without offending half the planet).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Given their success with Stranger Things, aka "Silent Hill as written by Stephen King", I think a Dark Tower series would be right up Netflix's alley. Unfortunately I doubt they could keep Mcconaughey or Elba attached and it also doesn't seem like they're really in a spot to bail out failed IPs with some upside potential at this point.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

RedSpider posted:

I hope this film ends Idris Elba's career.

A lot of the reviews have been saying that Elba's performance is one of few positive aspects of the movie, so he'll probably walk away from this smelling like roses. Even McConaughey's Walter is being called well done, if played a bit safe.

Dark Weasel posted:

Roland and Jake depart into the crowds of New York City to have more adventures five minutes after Roland kills the Man in Black by shooting a bullet through his head

Given that the Gunslinger novel (at least the OG version, I haven't read the revised one from a few years back) ends with Roland finding Walter's skull on the beach after their palaver, this kind of makes sense. Pretty good way of establishing how persistent Walter is and the lengths he'll go to fake Roland out of his quest. However, I'm surprised that there's no mid or after credits scene of Walter's corpse sitting up or opening his eyes and saying something along the line of "you didn't think it'd be that easy, did you?" , or literally anything else to set up that dynamic of Walter's character. Maybe they're saving that for the sequel we're never going to get. It makes sense in the context of all the information we have about the muddled production, the desire to play it safe, and the difficulty in finding a sweet spot of pleasing readers while accommodating new audiences.

Actually bummed that we're never going to get the "go then; there are other worlds than these" sequence and subsequent storyline though. Why cobble together all these disparate elements but leave out one of SK's best written scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

RedSpider posted:

So how long do you think it will take before they remake this with a better cast and director?

As someone else said, the various rights to King's IPs are a tangled mess, but I'd guess like a decade at most? The majority consensus around the DT movie seems to be that it's not horrendously bad, just bland and boring. It's still a viable story with a lot of potential.

Of course, this depends on how the movie does in international markets and what the reception is to the TV show. Also if Sk dies in the next decade or so you can expect a bunch of stuff to get put into production just to capitalize on the inevitable wave of attention.

• Locked thread