Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fried Watermelon posted:

They set it up so Jake is the main character rather than Roland

I could actually understand this decision as Jake being much more sympathetic to the audience, as Roland is supposed to be a narrow-minded, monster on a mission and only sees Jake as a tool to help him. That's how I remember it in the books, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

BlindSite posted:

I felt wizard and glass was the strongest book by a wide margin so I'm pretty keen for that.

While The Gunslinger will always be my favorite, Wizard and Glass was def the best read in terms of quality writing imo. It's the only one I really want to go back and read again. I haven't touched the series since I finished it when the last book came out...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Firstborn posted:

He doesn't have a lot of bullets in the books. I always liked how he explained just how loud they are and what a big deal it was.

Well, he doesn't have a lot of ammo after his visit to Tull :kheldragar:

Hell, I'm trying to remember if there's a moment where Roland genuinely *misses* without having someone bump into him or something.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I wonder how good the soundtrack will be. Hopefully it fits the music that played in my head while reading the books in high school.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fart City posted:

And for a series as batshit as TDT, it should be anything but. Like if it's going to be a trainwreck, I at least want it to be a foaming-at-the-mouth trainwreck with rhyming lobster monsters and sex ghosts.

What I wanted: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly but with magic and portals.
What I expected: Zardoz
What I'll get: Watchmen levels of disappointment. I was so hyped to see that movie, then I saw it and remembered all the awesome parts in the book that weren't there or were changed and just left disappointed. Was the movie itself bad? I've heard mixed amounts of praise and condemnation.

I truly believe a mini-series would have been the best way to pull this off. I'm going to wait for some reviews. If it's THAT BAD I'll save my money and watch it later.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Of all the ways to use the book's iconic opener, having it whispered over a black screen was probably the best this visual medium could have done.

I always figured that's how it was going to be done. But by Sean Connery ala Highlander.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Seems the consensus is to watch it at home for 3 bucks with beers to dull the pain and skip the theater?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm sure King tied it all together nicely in the books,

For the most part, yes. You may not like the answers to some of those questions but at least he does answer them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

business hammocks posted:

And they just left those kids on that mess with no way to get back to their home universes!

Okay someone please explain what happens because what the gently caress.

• Locked thread