Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

i use to be an ineffectual craigslister always requesting shady j/o seshs, now that I've put a stop to that i've become a powerful craigslist scammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

could you explain this, maybe while holding your explanation crystal instead of your genitals?

Oh, of course.

So this joke was structured around a lampooned phenomenon on the popular "classified ads' style website craiglist. Some understanding of craigslist and history of craigslist and the context of the sorts of things that were joked about online and more specifically this website for a while. Craigslist is essentially a massive online classified sections of a newspaper, where any city can post or respond to ads for almost anything. Some of these ads are extremely personal or bizarre and notable examples have been followed for years. There were frontpage articles that made fun of this, and here are some of these sorts of pages:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/jo-buds/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/jo-buds-2/1/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/craigslist-jo/1/

The basic premise of these jokes was to make fun of the casual but very sexual requests by men to meet other men for mutual masturbation, while constantly denying the idea that anything they were participating was homosexual, suggesting some kind of homophobia despite the search for sexual activities with members of your same sex. While I don't think the culture of the forum at the time derided the idea of same-sex sexual interaction, the juxtaposition of illicit inquiry with the machismo and rabid insistence of propriety that you could find in real craigslist posts made it a target for comedy, mainly thinking about the deluded nature of theoretical participants.

So, that's the idea behind the joke: Since this was a thread about no longer touching your genitals, the joke was a first person representation of such a 'j/o bud' seeking guy who reached the thread's hypothetical spiritual, emotional and mental advancement by ceasing his masturbatory activities. Yet, the person didn't divorce themselves from shady businesses of craigslist, so he used the raw power of the theme of the thread to become a powerful craigslist scammer, craigslist scams being another very common then where someone offers something or tries to pay for something in a way that results in fraud benefiting the scammer. I guess the main thrust of the humor is the idea that, true to the thread, he saw the world in a new light after ceasing touching his genitals. But his new power didn't really result in a positive, yet it is spun as one.

• Locked thread