Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Best girl was Madchen Amick, although I have no idea if she held up. (Also, Madchen is german for "girl", so her parents basically named their daughter "girl", which is odd.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I forgot how slow moving Lynch's stuff is. God in heaven.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

This is so slow. Like...really slow. I mean...this is SO slow.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE9eQwxkgsY

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

What the HELL is going on? No way any of this will make sense in the end.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Booty Pageant posted:

its a coming of age story of a small town being gentrified by hipsters in tyool 2017

All joking aside, I just read somewhere that season 3 makes a lot more sense if you've seen fire walk with me. I watched it a long time ago and don't remember it. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Episode 4 sucks. A lot. Lynch and Frost have very bad senses of humor.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Watching the first episode now, this is like Wes Anderson levels of fart sniffing

The first episode was awesome and is the best episode of the show so far. Episode 4, on the other hand, is some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

The Dougie sub-plot is the most boring television I've ever forced myself to sit through. I can't imagine what Lynch and Co. are thinking. It's a nightmare. People complain about a show like The Big Bang Theory being lazy, but the people who write that show have to come up with dialogue and jokes. And that takes some effort, even if the jokes are bad. The Dougie plot is just Maclachlan wandering around looking catatonic in a faintly wacky way. Nothing needs to be written and Maclachlan doesn't have to flex any acting muscle. Nothing is happening. It's the laziest thing I've ever seen on a screen, and it goes on and on and on and on and on. Episode after episode. Maclachlan wandering around. NOTHING happening. No writing is happening. There's not even physical comedy happening. Nothing. There is literally nothing more boring in the world that they could possibly film. Watching a film of paint drying would be less boring than Dougie, because at least you could use a film like that for meditation. Lynch is hailed as a genius, and this is what he produces. He produces some great stuff, and he also produces literally the worst thing ever filmed. They should not have given him complete creative control. He's a maniac. Someone needed to step in and shut that Dougie stuff the hell down. What a goddamned egomaniac.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Wizard Master posted:

Your a little bitch, mate

I probably deserve that. Me getting that angry over a TV show was pretty childish.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Well, that episode was a lot better than the previous two, that's for sure. Dougie is better as tragedy than comedy. The show is still stunningly slow though.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Whoa, apparently the dude who ran over that kid and assaulted that woman at the bar is Audrey Horn's son.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Audrey and evil Cooper's kid.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Well, there was a lot of plot this episode. And yet it was still breathtakingly boring.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Time draws out like a blade watching this show.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

It's weird for the sake of weird.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

The show is a placebo. There has been some striking and memorable imagery in this season though. The weird blind woman in the black lodge (or wherever the hell that was), the ghost-like monster coming out of that black box (and the black box itself was a chilling image), etc. And the part where the kid got run over had me legit shook.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Baloogan posted:

the gently caress makes you think i have to justify art to you?

if you don't understand it, your loss, move along.

burn any good books recently?

Wrong. Good art critics can and do justify and explain art.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Even Twin Peaks (my favorite thing ever) is pretty sophomoric; people just don't want challenging entertainment.

Watching Dougie stumble around for two hours not doing anything isn't challenging, it's just boring.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Hmm, let me reconsider my opinion in light of what an Always Sunny fan has to say.

Always Sunny is awesome.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Paladinus posted:

The show has the best product placement. First Evil Coop uses Windows Surface running some nonsense software straight from a nineties B-movie about hackers, and then Doc Hayward and Sheriff Truman Skype for the most blatant and almost literal phoned-in performance.

This season of Twin Peaks is already much funnier than Always Sunny's latest season. IN MY OPINION.

Dougie isn't funny. And Lucy and Deputy Andy were never funny. In my HUMBLE opinion.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

The gently caress?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

basic hitler posted:

The latest ep was not good. Somone finally gave me some insight into the imagery that might help me "get it" if i get around to rewatching it, but getting that info was like pulling teeth. and enduring some very :smuggo: type of jerkwards. This was david lynch basically writing a ridiculous, probably skippable intermission to the rest of the show full of dense, boring symbolism and imagery that's apparently about the birth of the black lodge, but the only way you could like it if you're the Lynch equivalent of a nintendo fanboy.

You know, that's cool if that's what I'm signing up for. Eraserhead is a cool movie. Interrupting the actual show of Twin Peaks to give us some insanely masturbatory high-art rendition of how/why the black lodge came to be that nobody could possibly enjoy unless you're the kind of rear end in a top hat who gets off on this kind of poo poo or writes episode reviews that quote Marx and Zizek was a jackass thing to do though.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

For the first 20 minutes or half hour of the episode, when lynch was showing us the nuke explosion from the outside and then showing us all kinds of crazy stuff happening inside of it on a tiny or even microscopic scale, and then showing stuff happening somewhere else in the universe on a very macroscopic scale, you got the idea of an interconnectedness of everything in the universe from the smallest scale to the largest and also to some sort of metaphysical or supernatural plane where something unimaginably complicated is triggered that will affect all of reality. It was pretty cool. But this supernatural plane of existence should be something we can't even begin to imagine because it's so far beyond us. But then lynch shows you this supernatural plane...and it's a woman and man, wearing a dress and a suit sitting on couches and listening to records, in a room with some comically big alarm thing and a big TV. These are the people and this is the supernatural place where all of reality comes together and events on Earth are being directed? What? The first half hour really triggered the imagination. But then the second half hour completely ruined everything. Although I guess lynch showed us this metaphysical plane before, in the episode with the blind woman and Cooper in space. What a terrible supernatural higher reality.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

If lynch really wants to be a bad rear end and confound viewer expectations, then he shouldn't bring back normal Cooper. Not for a second.

Lord Krangdar posted:

It's a running thing in Lynch's work that the most incomprehensible supernatural or surreal elements are always tied to the most mundane ones.

Maybe you're right.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

I think a lot of people in here are forgetting that most, or at least half, of season 2 of the original show was pure trash. As bad as this new season is, I'd take it over most of season 2 any day.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

afeelgoodpoop posted:

rats off to ya!

Whoa, that's a blast from the past. Rats off to ya for even remembering that quote.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

gently caress it. As much as I hate this show, it's more good than it is bad and I'm glad it exsists.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Relin posted:

twin peaks has always seemed very literal and not figurative to me

I don't know if you're joking, but I think you're right. The Black Lodge seems to be a real, literal place and characters like Bob and the giant seem to be a real, albeit supernatural, beings. And season 3 has revealed that Laura Palmer isn't an average girl struggling to deal with this evil in her life, but some sort of preordained chosen one.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nah I've been waiting for this for 14 years and it's still exceeding any hopes I've ever had and I've rewatched most of the episodes. Bone to the haters: I didn't rewatch that one that was SUPER Dougie heavy because hey I enjoy the slow burn on that storyline but I don't need it twice. I'm happy as a pig in poo poo with the show and just annoyed with the really really shallow criticism. There's probably more structured and considered hate in TVIV but fuuuuuck that.

The criticism is shallow because the show itself is shallow. (Checkmate.)

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Naomi Watts raped Dougie.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Kuato posted:

Wish she could rape me :smith:

Hell, same.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Paladinus posted:

There's no way Kyle MacLachlan is so toned at 58. I refuse to believe he is.

Camera tricks and make-up.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

What the gently caress at that scene with the woman honking the car horn and the kid in the passenger seat throwing up. That would be the craziest poo poo I've ever seen in a TV show, EXCEPT that the insanity of the scene is constantly undercut because Bobby has a "this is ridiculous" look on his face the entire time and they keep cutting to Bobby's face constantly. I don't even.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Dear god, that episode was slow and uncomfortable. It was so slow I actually miss Dougie. And what the gently caress at that eighty hour long scene of that woman in Gordon's hotel room putting on her sweater and shoes so she could leave. Jesus, why? And yes, something very bad must have happened to Audrey that she would marry that weird dude. Of course, something very bad must have happened to Audrey for her son to be a complete psycho too. God, that was slow.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

WHY ARE YOU STILL WATCHING A SHOW YOU HATE

I only hate about 70% of it. And the 30% of it I do like is better than the 100% of a lot of shows out there. If that makes any sense.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Well, that was an episode. I don't even.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Only four episodes left. Coop isn't coming back. It's Duggie to the end.

Neurosis posted:

apparently a german tv network aired episode 14 instead of 13. i skimmed a synopsis and if it's accurate it looks like a sick episode with lots of weird supernatural poo poo next week.

Looks like it was accurate. Tons of supernatural poo poo in this episode.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Wizard Master posted:

Game of Thrones megathread gets hundreds of posts a day and this was buried on page 3

Deserved. The scene in yesterday's episode of twin peaks where the british guy tells the story of the glove on his right hand was the most boring thing I've ever suffered through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

My guess is that Audrey's "soul" is in some sort of lodge, while her body is in a coma.

Edit: never mind. That don't make no sense.

The Dennis System fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 17, 2017

• Locked thread