Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
so was this any good? in general i find tv to be too unengaging to dedicate much time to (internet has ruined my brain and made me ADD), so i will need a report on utility on my desk by tomorrow morning if i'm going to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vastarien posted:

I don't know, man. This ain't yo mama's Twin Peaks. It's basically (a less coherent) Fire Walk with Me mixed with Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, I guess? I've only watched the first episode. Wasn't too crazy about it.

i was interested enough that i made myself into a liar shortly after the above post.

i'm halfway through episode 2 and it's... loving weird. feels like twin peaks if you stripped out all of the eccentric quaint stuff satirising soap operas. so it's a slow-moving strange horror. i guess i'm liking it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zmej posted:

I watched the second episode. I can't tell if the show is just taking it's sweet time to rev up or we're going to get a combination of meh supporting characters shuffling their feet until spooky poo poo happens or kyle maclachlan graces the screen.

so you haven't actually watched it

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
because kyle maclachlan is onscreen like 50% of the time and a fair bit of the stuff that would've been kept overly enigmatic in original twin peaks is fairly clear

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the bit with those two young people who were mid-gently caress getting shredded by a black lodge spirit or whatever was not what i was expecting.

lmao i checked the tviv thread on it and someone was saying 'oh good thing that happened rather than having to sit through awkward heterosexual sex' heaven forbid!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'james is still cool'

'james has always been cool'

lynch knows how to gently caress with his fans

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i forgot about david ducchovny being trans in the show and it's great to see.

not for any social reason it's just jarringly funny.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 23, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

I thought The Man from Another Place was dead, but actually he passed on the new series because of money and also had a big meltdown on Facebook where he accused Lynch of raping his own daughter and having Jack Nance murdered and also said Twin Peaks was boring :rip:

So anyway, that's why he's a brain on a tree now

this is the dude from carnivale? drat.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the new black lodge stuff is weird. the woman with no eyes and saying her mother was there while the door was slammed and the laura palmer spirit screaming and vanishing off-screen... maybe i wasn't paying enough attention but i couldn't make much sense of it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

boner confessor posted:

it's surrealistic, you're not really supposed to make much sense of it. it's just spooky

i think it is meant to have its own internal logic. the exact mode of expression is going to be variable and not have any real coherence - so we get that weird statute thing representing one of the doppelgangers - but they still mean something comprehensible. i suppose i don't really mind either way because i enjoy the aesthetic lynch put together so it doesn't have to hold up to hardcore interpretation for me to enjoy it, but it can still be fun to speculate about.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

basic hitler posted:

I legit like this. I didn't really like twin peaks. I liked some of the more surreal elements but that's not a very large part of the show. The parody of melodrama did little for me.

So, having this be a rather surreal Lynch nightmare through and through is preferable to that TBH.

yeah. people complain about this being slow but it's moving at light speed relative to the original series. this is just the good stuff [if the relativity expression there made anyone reading this feel a strong compulsion to correct me go kill yourself you are the ur-goon].

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

basic hitler posted:

You dont like lynch or wes anderson you suck probably hate John Carpenter and Stanley Kubrick too

some of the visuals remind me of kubrick this season. like the room with the box in new york. enjoying the aesthetics notwithstanding the lovely cgi.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
That last episode was hot garbage except for the young guy mowing down that kid with the mother reacting in the hammiest way possible and the midget murder.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it could be jerry and audrey's kid.

barf

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

The Dennis System posted:

The show is a placebo. There has been some striking and memorable imagery in this season though. The weird blind woman in the black lodge (or wherever the hell that was), the ghost-like monster coming out of that black box (and the black box itself was a chilling image), etc. And the part where the kid got run over had me legit shook.

agreed re the blind woman and black box but the kid bit just made me laugh, what with how unexpected it was and the hammy acting by his mother and sappy music

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
And they're all horrible human beings. The Walt Disney evil gene runs in the family

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SPACE HOMOS posted:

It was pretty easy to see it was about the black lodge, but I enjoy that Bob is made from some CG throw up / creamcorn and Laura Palmer is a golden orb sent to earth.

The scenes with the tall man looked like 90s FMVs.

The black and white area may have been the white lodge. The Giant is benevolent and the other spirit seemed benign too

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the first 3 episodes of this season were okay to good. then 4 episodes of faaaaar too much dougie. then 8 ruled extremely hard.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kuato posted:

Finally got around to watching the last episode. Was neat, I think I might get the symbolism. Although I likely don't, and there is no meaning to a lot of it.

you can read into it if you want but beyond broad themes like the bomb as a manifestation of human capacity for violence (maybe modernity in general indicating such a capacity - the black lodge spirits move by things like electricity - and i think it is a capacity rather than the actual manifestation that triggers this poo poo, since it wasn't the hiroshima/nagaski nukes that set this off) ) i think it might be going into intellectual masturbation territory.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

There's no way Kyle MacLachlan is so toned at 58. I refuse to believe he is.

he's always been a lean guy and he's probably tried to get in shape for this. middle-aged paunches are likely but not inevitable.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

What the gently caress at that scene with the woman honking the car horn and the kid in the passenger seat throwing up. That would be the craziest poo poo I've ever seen in a TV show, EXCEPT that the insanity of the scene is constantly undercut because Bobby has a "this is ridiculous" look on his face the entire time and they keep cutting to Bobby's face constantly. I don't even.

bobby must be forgetting what an incredible ham he was 25 years ago, because he fit in exactly with that woman's behaviour in times gone by.

that episode was pretty good. it felt nice to finally have dougie involved in something interesting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
today's episode sucked. also people in TVIV were outraged i said something weird must've happened with audrey for her to have married a midget, lol.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

UnculturedSwine posted:

I liked the episode and yea you're weird

marry a midget if you really want to prove me wrong. for this to prove anything, though, you have to be not physically hosed up/mega ugly yourself, so i dunno if it'll work.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I only hate about 70% of it. And the 30% of it I do like is better than the 100% of a lot of shows out there. If that makes any sense.

just watch with a fast forward bar you can see the bit you'll go to. i've blitzed through a lot of the dougie bullshit like this and it has made the season much more enjoyable. i agree that the bits that are good are really good (episodes 1 -3 were v good, season 8 was flat out amazing) and are worth persevering through the season for, even if a lot of the rest is crap.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
apparently a german tv network aired episode 14 instead of 13. i skimmed a synopsis and if it's accurate it looks like a sick episode with lots of weird supernatural poo poo next week.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Deserved. The scene in yesterday's episode of twin peaks where the british guy tells the story of the glove on his right hand was the most boring thing I've ever suffered through.

yeah but sarah palmer biting that dude's neck out was loving cool.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zmej posted:

Yea that definitely was the weakest scene. Someone in TVIV said that better not be some deus ex machina but idk what else it could be.

he's gonna arm-wrestle evil cooper.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
episode 8 was worth whatever boredom i've suffered this season. i don't sit down and watch this on the couch though, it's just playing on my second monitor, i'd probably be pissed if i had dedicated an hour to do nothing but watch ep 12.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Soup du Journey posted:

this seasons great and much better than the first two btw

the high points are better than pretty much anything. the creepier bits from eps 1 through 3 and the entirety of ep 8 are fantastic. the average is worse than s1, and the worst bits are equally as awful as anything in 2 (though in a different way).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

Audry and Coop were supposed to have had a tryst in the original series, but Laura Flynn Boyle threw a fit because she didn't want any of the other female cast to detract from her being the primary sex appeal on the show and obviously hooking up with the lead would have elevated Audrey above her.

It was because she was dating Kyle Maclachlan. They wrote in Annie instead. Donna was not the primary sex appeal. Audrey was absurdly hot and the thought of Billy Zane laying a hand on her is enraging.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

My hope and expectation:

In a final showdown at the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department, Bad Cooper (Booper) and Good Cooper (Gooper) are gonna have a wobble-vision fight over Audrey and the Chittering Woman. Furthermore, someone's face is probably gonna get chomped in by a black lodger again.

Electricity has been the major malevolent "element" of this season (as opposed to the fire and water from earlier seasons), so I hope to see more of that kind of symbolism at play.

electricity was a thing before, too. in fwwm samson from carnivale said that electricity allowed congress between the two worlds. it might be a theme with the bomb - elements of modernity are associated with the black lodge entering the world. maybe something could tie how a lot of the supernatural stuff is very mundane in how it comes about to that, too, though i haven't given that anymore thought. if it's saying anything i doubt it's a blanket 'look how evil modern science has made men' or anything - if that were the case the black lodge would've entered at hiroshima or nagasaki rather than just for a test, and nothing gives off any kind of luddite vibe. i mean it could just as easily be something lynch thought was neat and striking, i'm not going to pretend the motifs and themes have revealed any deep new intellectual vistas.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shalkore posted:

Do you think they're ever going to revisit or explain wtf happened with Laura's mom? Is it the power of consuming vodka every day for 25 years?

they're being pretty upfront with the supernatural stuff so while you might not get an explanation in exacting detail i imagine it'll get some coverage. remember she might've been the girl that frog thing crawled into in episode 8. i mean, that'd be weird because it doesn't make a ton of sense with what else we know about sarah palmer (nothing i can recall suggests she has black lodge spawn in her other than having some supernatural visions), but maybe...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
what the gently caress

this season has been reasonably straight-up, even in the weirder stuff like episode 8 some coherent story could be put on things. i have no loving clue what episode 18 was.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ZombyDog posted:

Coop broke causality by going back to 1989 to rescue Laura.

i thought laura screaming (horrible sounding scream) and disappearing was judy stealing her from cooper (which i guess was reflected by sarah palmer smashing laura's picture over and over?). but why that led to an amnesiac laura in odessa idk.

i've felt like i'm being told a different story now. there were always parallel worlds to the 'real' world (the lodges), but they operated on different rules; there wasn't doubt as to what the real world was, and while stuff over time was possible, i got the feeling it operated in a twelve monkeys closed loop style. the very loose rules of the game that existed have been totally thrown away, and now there are just tons of new questions.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i don't think it was all 'richard's' dream. why did laura hear sarah yelling her name and scream? what are the odds richard the dreaming fbi agent would fixate on a waitress (who he hasn't spoken to) who doesn't know for sure who her parents are? why does richard have any concern for twin peaks? that mother-possessing-sarah did something while coop was trying to save laura seems more likely. but where does that leave the show? kind of with a non-ending.

also post world transition i found the tone change jarring and creepy. i might just be projecting but it seemed like people acted differently, more like some gritty depressing movie trying to ape a bit of cormac mccarthy. it made the final scene unexpectedly disturbing, after what fluffy nonsense most of ep 17 felt like.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

So as far as I can tell, Coop is Severian uncaught in time. The Lodge inhabitants are all Cacogens, some assisting him and others working against him. Carrie Page is likely another incarnation of Tzadkiel and Judy is either Typhon or Baldanders.

I think Carrie is actually Laura and it's not like that. Laura seems to be an ordinary person in most ways despite being spawned from a glowing orb made by a giant.

Also Tzadkiel always seemed a little more benevolent than anything in Twin Peaks (though I have read reasonable arguments the Hierodules are evil insect things with nothing good mean for humanity)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Still, outside of the super-long sex scene where they mostly showed Laura Dern's spine, I thought the final episode was good. I especially liked the tone change after the sex scene. It was pretty dark and depressing, which was good. Cooper was acting strangely, and it was confusing and disorienting, which was also good.

cooper seemed to have elements of both good and evil cooper. his line delivery and generally fairly distant demeanour were like evil cooper, but he still seemed to care about others, and he seemed dismayed at seeing the corpse in new laura's house and distressingly confused at the end.

i agree on the tone change. episode 17 seemed way too cheesy and fluffy a way to tie things up, then the jarring change in 18 re-established the feelings of horror.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

this seems reasonable. i also like that he distinguishes between the twin peaks reality and our reality - it explains why laura would be hearing echoes from that reality, and nicely explains audrey (though audrey isn't quite right either - no one in the 'real' world would play 'Audrey's Dance' and i presume in the real world she's not married to a weird small man; there could be three layers going on there, with some being audrey's hallucinations informed by the real world, flashes of the real, and twin peaks as her basic reality in which she physically exists, but that's getting a bit elaborate). it would also mean the characters could go back there and it would have some weight rather than just 'oh they're all just figments and it's what's real and miserably depressing here that matters'.

there are maybe some things that don't quite get explained with this. like why the inhabitants of the house are tied to black lodge spirits, if everything else becomes 'real'. also does judy have a threat to the real world, or is over-explaining only a threat to our dreams? and does this mean that dude's corpse in real-laura's house didn't have any garmonbozia on it or black lodge orb coming out of it?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
also i am reminded of reading m john harrison's viriconium books where our real world began to leak into the weird far future fantasy world more and more with the general theme being this is what really matters. not the same message but nonetheless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it has the soul of her husband, who was a woodsman (probably not connected to the woodsmen we see this season, which also means he probably wasn't connected to the room above the convenience store). he had some encounter with lodge spirits and got stuck in a log. dunno if he became a lodge spirit himself but if he is he seems white lodge. dunno why he'd inhabit a log, though.

i was a bit confused by log lady's messages, though. was it the case that she'd already died in the twin peaks universe and hawk was getting phone calls from her spirit? that's what the final conversation seemed to imply. it would also explain why hawk didn't say much, even when margaret gave a very emotional farewell.

• Locked thread