Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

M_Gargantua posted:

The officer could have simply stepped behind Castile and the rear passenger door and been out of danger.

Apparently Castile telling him he had a gun was enough to escalate to deadly force in 3 seconds.

Again, it was the failure to comply with "don't reach for it" three times that preceded him being shot. If you're seeing gunshots after "I have a gun" but before "Don't reach for it", please link the video.

If the officer believes someone is reaching for a gun when told 3 times not to do so, why should he step out of danger? Seriously. If that IS what is happening, he is hosed if he doesn't shoot.

Castile probably didn't intend to do anything of the sort, but his actions said otherwise. It's unfortunate but why should the officer act contrary to what he believes is happening right in front of him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Kuroyama posted:

Castile also had to reach to get his registration and insurance card, and was trying to explain that, but the cop wouldn't let him explain and then went straight to shooting.

And the cop thought he was reaching for the gun, but Castile didn't let him explain that, he just kept reaching.

It's sad and it sucks but that ain't murder.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A man sitting is in a tactically disadvantageous position. Sitting with a large seat back limiting your ability to turn even worse. A waist band holster is a bitch to draw from while seated.

All of these mean that even had Castile intended to irrationally draw his gun (because this is a thing black people do?) and attempt to kill the officer at a traffic stop, with his partner 180 degrees away and watching, he would have had to somehow quick draw a waistband holstered gun while seated then shoot at a really awkward angle.

What that means is that had Castile intended to shoot he wouldn't have been a credible threat for many more seconds. And had he been a threat he wouldn't have been a threat had the officer simply taken two steps to his right out of his limited line of fire.

But god forbid you try deescation on a black man who has no reason to shoot you. The officer murdered him

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
You forgot the marijuana.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the cop who was on the other side of the vehicle with his hands looped through his vest should be fired since the danger was so obvious and he was standing there oblivious.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

It's unfortunate but why should the officer act contrary to what he believes is happening right in front of him?

because a man died for no reason... which is literally the only reason that needs to be given.

you're seriously writing it off as "whoops my bad" when someone died for no reason.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 26, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lemony snickets a series of unfortunate events

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
*shoots and kills someone after completely misreading the situation*

"whoops, my bad. that's unfortunate!"

*not guilty*

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

TBeats posted:

because a man died for no reason... which is literally the only reason that needs to be given.

you're seriously writing it off as "whoops my bad" when someone died for no reason.

That's a horrible standard. Do you apply this brilliant hindsight logic to all avoidable deaths everywhere?

"My doctor misdiagnosed my grandma based on the information available to him at the time, combined with her failure to comply with her prescribed medication, and now she's dead and that makes me sad so clearly he must be punished!"

...I mean, obviously, yes, that is probably exactly how your whole meth-addled clan of government-assisted Floridian dick-beaters susses out the whys and hows of tragedy. Jesus Christ.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

A man sitting is in a tactically disadvantageous position. Sitting with a large seat back limiting your ability to turn even worse. A waist band holster is a bitch to draw from while seated.

All of these mean that even had Castile intended to irrationally draw his gun (because this is a thing black people do?) and attempt to kill the officer at a traffic stop, with his partner 180 degrees away and watching, he would have had to somehow quick draw a waistband holstered gun while seated then shoot at a really awkward angle.

What that means is that had Castile intended to shoot he wouldn't have been a credible threat for many more seconds. And had he been a threat he wouldn't have been a threat had the officer simply taken two steps to his right out of his limited line of fire.

But god forbid you try deescation on a black man who has no reason to shoot you. The officer murdered him

Tachypsychia is real, but it aint a Sherlock Holmes montage, ship-mate.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

(Cole is from Florida and M_Gargantua was a pog)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
And you're a broke brain. We all are what we are.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

And you're a broke brain. We all are what we are.

pfffft..

If anything, my brain is peaking.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
officer yanez starts panicking AS SOON AS Castile informed he had a weapon. Watch the video and you'll see his hands start reaching for the weapon and his stance shifts to alarmed. As if its beyond the pale that a driver in Minnesota of all places will be carrying a weapon in the car.

At the point of castile informing he had a weapon, Yanez AND HIS PARTNER had many chances and means to de-escalate the situation, and safely give Castile his ticket and everyone is on their way.

Instead, he reacted with the bravery of Scooby Doo and an innocent man is dead because of it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

That's a horrible standard. Do you apply this brilliant hindsight logic to all avoidable deaths everywhere?

"My doctor misdiagnosed my grandma based on the information available to him at the time, combined with her failure to comply with her prescribed medication, and now she's dead and that makes me sad so clearly he must be punished!"

...I mean, obviously, yes, that is probably exactly how your whole meth-addled clan of government-assisted Floridian dick-beaters susses out the whys and hows of tragedy. Jesus Christ.
you're an idiot and nobody in this thread is agreeing with you because nobody is as big an idiot as you.

if the doctor committed malpractice it would be an apt analogy. but instead, you're just an idiot.

think about it: you have such a low opinion of me, but there are more people agreeing with me than you. that should at the very least make you question your own opinion about the Castile shooting.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 26, 2017

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

If a bunch of doctors start mis-diagnosing lots of black people with a lack of bleeding holes and perscribes close range gsw's, then you will make sense.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 26, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

(Cole is from Florida and M_Gargantua was a pog)

lol ur a loving mortarman you don't get to call people out

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Reverand maynard posted:

hosed up if true

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Reverand maynard posted:

Lmbo

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

:ssh: I don't even have a CAR! :ssh:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

TBeats posted:

you're an idiot and nobody in this thread is agreeing with you because nobody is as big an idiot as you.

if the doctor committed malpractice it would be an apt analogy. but instead, you're just an idiot.

think about it: you have such a low opinion of me, but there are more people agreeing with me than you. that should at the very least make you question your own opinion about the Castile shooting.

I assume at some point, at bare minimum, you have pointed a gun at someone and issued an instruction with the understanding that you would kill them if they did not comply. I know why other people want to see the cop punished; I've discussed it with people who have no such experience. It looks bad, and it feels bad, and, "if only the cop had considered (thing), (thing), (thing), and (thing)"..

But sure. There's no conceivable situation that merited a response resulting in Castile's death. The video proves it. And many people say so. So I'm convinced. The disturbing sights and sounds and the bad bad feelings can now be chalked up to racism, lack of training, and maybe even murderous intent. The world makes sense again. Thanks gang.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You call that a war penis? Hnnnngghhh, that's a war penis! Now let me see your real war penis!

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Current issue at hand aside. I want to say one last thing about perspective. Your social media echo chambers, 10% rating opioid grab-bags, and vietnam-envy-inspired framing of GWOT are not reality.

I. AM. REALITY.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
5'd

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Vic V's heel turn from fun-loving art weirdo to authoritarian cop apologist is weird to see.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

But sure. There's no conceivable situation that merited a response resulting in Castile's death. The video proves it. And many people say so. So I'm convinced. The disturbing sights and sounds and the bad bad feelings can now be chalked up to racism, lack of training, and maybe even murderous intent. The world makes sense again. Thanks gang.

I'm glad you finally have come around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Wow this thread went places.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 26, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

whatever disease got to swamp donkey spread to vermis. we have to quarantine everyone in this thread

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Deathy McDeath posted:

Vic V's heel turn from fun-loving art weirdo to authoritarian cop apologist is weird to see.

its all keyfabe bro

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
isnt vermis in cop school now or something?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

isnt vermis in cop school now or something?

In a way, aren't we all?

Makes you think.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

actually most people seem to be in prison of their own making tbqh

Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Generally people arrive at that conclusion after their mother dies and they're sentenced to death for randomly killing an Arab, and that last bit probably isn't going to happen in the current political climate.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I don't know to what the last two posts are replying.

I suspect it isn't me.

As self-appointed facilitator of this discussion in Cole's lovely dumb thread, I am exercising squatter's rights and demand an explanation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

I don't know to what the last two posts are replying.

I suspect it isn't me.

As self-appointed facilitator of this discussion in Cole's lovely dumb thread, I am exercising squatter's rights and demand an explanation.

explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc8GzIRbf2w

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

gently caress you Cole. Blaze this poo poo and get woke my lil' penis wrinkle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKkleY4R8A

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

Yeah, instead of holding individuals accountable for their behavior, we should definitely continue isolating and blaming all of them, and inciting further violence.

Here's a prime example of why treating individual cops as 'bad apples' doesn't work:

An entire group of cops witnessing an extrajudicial beating, and they all joined in for fun. Not a single one actually tried to actually stop the crimes taking place.

And of course no one will be punished.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 29, 2017

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Um the post chase beatdown, conducted by giant glistening slobs, following a cross-state pursuit through the boonies & backroads is one of America's greatest traditions.

Its why god invented helicopters and buzzcuts.

But sure let's make sure it never happens again. WELCOME TO THE NO FUN ZONE.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Here's a prime example of why treating individual cops as 'bad apples' doesn't work:

An entire group of cops witnessing an extrajudicial beating, and they all joined in for fun. Not a single one actually tried to actually stop the crimes taking place.

And of course no one will be punished.

Alternately, they applied force until the guy stopped struggling and they were able to cuff him. The suspect clearly wasn't in the mood to surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
It's funny til it happens to you

• Locked thread