Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And yet I don't give a gently caress. Should've spent decades in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

And makes them equally regulated like regular 'ol firearms, yeah? Not like I can pop into the hardware store and just buy one without a NICS check and poo poo.

What's the point of going through the process twice? Without the gun, which you already have to get the check for, it's useless.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unrelated hot take: Why can't we ban the manufacture and sale of handguns and allow all rifles (including full auto). Wouldn't the result be less deaths overall?

One answer is that police body armor and vehicle armor is almost never capable of stopping rifle rounds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

And? If the majority of rifles in circulation are already capable of defeating most common protection, then adding a giggle switch does nothing to change that except make someone miss more rapidly.

I meant more as a reason against allowing all rifles while banning handguns. Handguns are more practical for personal/home defense and more able to be protected against.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

what does funding have to do with not shooting someone for standing up

You could make the argument that the kind of people we'd like to have serving as police officers and military personnel mostly refuse to because the compensation (money, stable family life, etc) is not worth the sacrifices. Which leaves these careers open to racist assholes, window-licking morons, and a handful of people who deserve to be held up as shining examples because despite everything they still loving care, and they still loving try.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

like ban me or whatever but if you try to defend this as anything other than pure distilled police racism suck my dick you're a racist

This I tend to agree with, given the information available right now.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

you cops are loving racist sick fucks and I dont know why i have to share a subforum with you

This is where this forum pisses me off sometimes. I enjoy mocking and making GBS threads on each other as much as everyone else, but it seems like a lot of the anti-police poo poo isn't that. Better here than in the actual CE thread, though.

Larry Parrish posted:

We should go a step further and replace cops with drones that shoot tear gas and tazer darts

They blew the sniper up in Dallas with an explosive robot.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a difference between "This system is hosed and needs to be rebuilt at every level" and "gently caress everyone in blue because they're all racist shitheads on a power trip."

I agree with #1. #2 is garbage.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, instead of holding individuals accountable for their behavior, we should definitely continue isolating and blaming all of them, and inciting further violence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TBeats posted:

"accountable"

The Castile shooter should be in prison. He earned it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Wow this thread went places.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 26, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You might be worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not sure you've been watching the pro-Trump demonstrations over the past few months.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I honestly have no idea which thread is which anymore. None of the names mean a goddamned thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Arc Light posted:

probation honeypot thread

New thread title.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My local sheriff's office is open Tuesdays. We don't have a city PD, despite a population of about 20,000.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

If ownership of semi automatic rifles is necessary for self defense against a destructive government then we should do what I (completely seriously) tell the CSPAM thread all the time, arm and train minority communities.

The NRA used to be about training and safety. :sigh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The "why" of the violence is a totally different subject.

The only subject that matters, really. And the one that will never be meaningfully addressed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don't buy this as an excuse to ignore pushing for reasonable gun legislation.

Sure, but it's pretty rare for reasonable gun legislation to end up as a democrat talking point. And half their talking heads start ranting about how we should do certain things that are already codified. So the credibility isn't really there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vains posted:

im like 99% certain that you cant legally buy a gun in state 'a' if you're not a resident of state 'a' unless the weapon is shipped to an ffl in the state where you are a resident. once the gun arrives in whatever state you're a resident of, it is still subject to the laws of that state.

This is correct.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

But pretty easily circumvented.

True.

Also I assumed we were talking about handguns since Chicago crime was the topic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But until we get to that point, universal background checks and a federal registry are a relatively cheap and straightforward way to crack down on guns diverted from legal channels.

I'm fine with background checks.

A registry completely undermines the Second Amendment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Explain this to me.

It's as bizarre to me as the ATF not being allowed to use electronic file processing systems (not even what's state of the art or even feasible in this day and age, but the most basic poo poo).

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

a national registry would be used as a tool for confiscation by those championing it as soon as it became politically convenient

ergo gently caress off the edge of my dick :flip:

The electronic vs paper thing is stupid, I agree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think it's a very loving good argument against a registry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Look at the people in charge of the country right now.

Do you trust them?

Do you really think enough Americans have been flipped in the past 9 months that we're about to jump back on the track to sanity?

Do you think for one minute that in 30 years things are going to be better? The problem with gun confiscation isn't that magically one day SuperHillary is going to be elected and issue a proclamation. The threat is that the right to keep and bear arms will be gradually eroded, because "Hey this one little thing isn't a big deal and it might help a couple dozen people per year." Maybe now you can't buy ammunition without a loving license. Maybe now you're on a no-fly list because you bought too much ammo last year, or you have too many guns. Maybe you've got a flag by your name in the DMV registry.

There's an awful lot of bad poo poo that can happen that doesn't directly lead to confiscation...which is still a thing that could happen. Rights that are given away are never returned. So while Bill A which gets passed in 2018 isn't a huge problem, by the time we get to Bill Q in 2045 we could very well be on that path.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How is a registry going to prevent anything?

That is what we're talking about, right? Prevention vs reaction?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Background checks take literally minutes.

The government having a convenient list of who owns what in an era where it is very possible that legislators will target specific firearms for removal from society is problematic. One mass shooting in NYC and we could very well see certain assault weapons banned outright just by the NYC metro legislators, and by golly thanks to the NY SAFE Act they've got a list of everyone state-wide. The inability to easily target those owners is likely one reason such a law is unlikely to actually pass in most places. It's practically unenforceable. A registry solves that.

And once again, outside of using it for seizures it does nothing for prevention.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 9, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We're both focusing on that point. I don't think it's a near-term threat, but a registry is one of the requirements to make it actually possible.

My point is that a registry does nothing for prevention.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

You realize the registry would track more than ownership, right? It would also track people who are not supposed to have firearms due to felonies and/or mental health issues?

Could. It could do that.

quote:

I mean, what's the point if preventing ownership by felons and people who are ill if we're just leaving it up to chance that you just so happened to get all their firearms? "Sure hope we picked up all his firearms and he wasn't just hiding a bunch of them, but we'll never know!"

Maybe we should have a registry of people who aren't allowed to own firearms? Like a no-flygun list. That way we focus on the mentally ill and criminals, rather than sane and law-abiding citizens who like to go punch holes through paper once in a while and defend their homes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iV24hL8Rk

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A registry works in combination with record keeping on transfers, including private party transfers. Every gun used in a crime would then be traceable, and law enforcement could use that data to choke off diversion of guns from legal channels. As it stands today, even where a background check is required the records are quickly discarded. It creates a gaping hole of plausible deniability that results in easier access to illicit firearms.

Ok, so the idea is that it would track sales between private parties. Unfortunately it relies upon the very people who are currently breaking the law (overwhelmingly) by selling to those who shouldn't have guns to actually report it.

And I'm not saying slippery slope, I'm straight up calling it a prerequisite for any kind of enforceable firearms ban.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

....that's still a slippery slope argument. As someone already said: Might as well try to make the same argument about gay marriage just being the slipper slope to people marrying their pets.

Except that's stupid.

There's a political movement that wants guns banned. There is at this time, a Constitutional right in place. I don't know of the same for gays vs pets.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 9, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My worry is that we'll keep pursuing do-nothing, knee-jerk reactions that restrict the liberty of law abiding citizens so you can feel good about yourself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

Yet more reason why you'll never hear me say a kind word about the NRA.

Same.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its just about feeling good. No effects. That's why the NRA is so busy lobbying against CDC studies, because they don't want me to feel good.

The NRA has become a poo poo organization, and unfortunately they're the only gun lobby with any power.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

So? Therefore, you have to support them?

No, and I don't support them. They've never gotten a dollar of my money, and I doubt they ever will.

Unfortunately I don't know of another group I would support though. So in the meantime I have to deal with assholes who think that because I like guns I'm a jackbooted NRA supporter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh, don't worry: people who like guns would be equally creepy in any political landscape.

I like guns, I don't like like guns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What I don't understand is how trying to slowly get closer to standards that every other developed nation on the planet with a ton of guns has adopted is deemed "do-nothing" or "knee-jerk", because it doesn't solve THE ENTIRETY of mass shootings and gun deaths.

And I'm not even talking about standards of restriction, the paperwork clownery at the ATF would the a start.

The self-proclaimed greatest nation in the history of the planet has a government agency intended to enforce firearms legislation but comes with the administrative equivalent of an automatic dick-punching device that prevents it from having even the remotest semblance of efficiency in its paperwork operations.

And when it is suggested that this government agency could maybe be brought into the 21st century and could have its dick-punching device detached, the response is "NOOOOOO, IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE AND DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM REEEEEEEEEEE".

Not specifically referring to you there, but this is the general impression I'm getting to the aversion to change in that matter.

I agree 100% with the paperwork. That's dumb as hell.

We are not "every other developed nation" on the planet. Our independence was fought for in a very different way from most of the British Empire, and most of Europe. Our history, which from day 1 included firearms as a part of regular life, is unique. Gun ownership rates have stayed relatively static, with between 25-40% of Americans owning guns...since before the Revolution. There's a unique relationship here, even compared to Australian history.

Then there's the slippery slope argument you're so adamant is a fallacy. It's not, necessarily. Not when there are examples of such a registry being used against law abiding people. Obviously the Weimar Republic is the example that sucks to rely on because :godwin:. But Australia is fun, too, where semiauto rifles were banned and a mandatory buy-back took place less than a decade after registries became widespread. Oh, and gun owners were also prevented from joining the Liberal Party. I wonder how party officials knew who the gun owners were? It's not unreasonable to assume that similar things could happen here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Same argument could be made about slaves, which is similarly off point. Historical context isn't s reason to avoid tracking firearms sales. This is about as pointless as it gets relative to our firearm death statistics

Historical context provides a background to how we got to where we are, which is a situation where an equal proportion of the population are still gun owners.

But yeah, comparing gun ownership to slave ownership is totally a legit argument. You won me over.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I love that you brought up the Wiemar Republic as the danger of Gun Registries, then ignored how the Nazis loosened gun control, and how personal firearms ownership did very little to actually stop them from seizing the weapons anyways and enacting a genocide, and the only major uprising was the Warsaw Uprising, which was conducted using seized military weapons, and was readily crushed.

So what was the point of ownership again?

The Nazis lightened the rules for some, tightened for others.

bird food bathtub posted:

I love me some range time and hoofed forest rats taste delicious but guns in America are basically going to do sweet gently caress all to stop "tyranny" when people vote someone like Trump into office.

If poo poo goes pear shaped and we're trying to resist "tyranny" from the top we need the rest of the government fighting along with the citizens or it's loving over and done with. No amount of pawpaw's shoot-guns is going to stop the entire law enforcement and military apparatus deciding to go along with it. The only effective resistance would be anything that makes those members question orders and change their minds, and I doubt armed resistance fighting back would do that.

Ideally it doesn't have to. The very possibility, no matter how remote, of an armed uprising to deflect a nationwide LE/mil effort to disarm the citizenry should be so horrifying that it deters any real momentum for such an effort. The tipping point in that scenario is probably when things are so bad the government isn't really even in control anymore.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NO WE NEED A LIST OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH US

• Locked thread