Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This kid is already dead

https://twitter.com/madmeyers/status/909297943458582528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

vains posted:

thats not a knife

said no cop ever, unless it was a gun.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NewYork_Minutee/status/916109846742749184

wtf?

The original tweet I meant to quote was "Being white is dope af"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

vains posted:

it should be relatively uninvolved to just make a national ID, run it through state DMV offices, and provide some funding to make it all happen without loving over old people who dont drive.

A national shall-issue, government funded voter card would be relatively easy, I agree. But holy loving laughing my dick off if you think the GOP would support that, especially without putting a bunch of poisonous requirements in there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Behold how dumb this video is, and despair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9cj_AWPPI

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

That's not dumb, the message is chilling and terrifying. It almost sounds like the NRA is calling for violence.

Well, real dumb in that it kind of ignores presidents and their supporters who had it worse. You know, like Abraham Lincoln and the armies of the Union.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

my local range makes NRA membership a requirement

I have been fortunate to never have to do that. Public ranges, good ole boy shootin' holes, and military ranges have let me escape that bullshit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
CS sucks when they make you do push-ups and work out and poo poo in the CS room. If someone shoots CS at you, I recommend it not be in a small room while you do calisthenics.

Also don’t shoot unarmed people without reason.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'd say verbal orders, then tazer, then having to shoot when the suspect pulls a gun on you counts as pretty reasonable :shrug:

Good job, cops, in this case for not being dead and also for not shooting someone without cause!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

But yeah that's a good one to show how fast poo poo goes south.

And also how you can wait til it goes south and also live, instead of scaredy-shooting them ahead of time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Yeah, they should make it policy that the suspect gets to expend half his mag first as long as his gun isn't actually aimed at the officers.

That's what I said, alright!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Positive ID.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You're aware how short that timeline is, right? Like...we're talking 1/4 sec or less.

Yeah, poo poo sucks, I'd give mitigating circumstances to a lone/outnumbered cop who was quicker on the trigger or if we institute the cop-draft.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I said that was a good shoot. And it was. :confused:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Victor Vermis posted:

They should've "scaredy shot" him. Instead they hosed around and put their lives, and any bystander lives, in the hands of:

- Chinese children who assembled the tazer
- dipshit's firearm maintenance
- Odds that dipshit's bullets are gonna go dirt dirt dirt and not leg chest face

Yeah, being a cop is a rough job and all, but unless it becomes a draft force in some sci-fi dystopia instead of a voluntary job in the real world, I'm all for cops shooting after positive ID.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

If the guy got shots off, then IMO the cops were late.

That's a pretty impossible standard to put on cops. "Always shoot first, but only if you know the person is a threat" requires X-Ray vision, Spidey senses, and a host of other super powers. It would also imply that in literally every active shooter scenario, the cops were "late" and that's a really pointless standard to set in a world where the pre-crime unit is science fiction.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're the one who thinks the cops should have to verify that the erratic suspect who they were told was armed has in fact pulled out a gun and not a wallet or cell phone. I don't think absolute knowledge should be a requirement, merely a reasonable perception of imminent danger based on the totality of the circumstances.

This is a statement that in no ways whatsoever addresses what I said.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Victor Vermis posted:

Or, you know, eyeballs and ears to receive all those signals that say "I have no intention of complying with any instruction to do anything which would indicate that I am not going to murder you during this investigation."

Th punishment for noncompliance: death without trial.

:cool:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

It isn't a punishment.

Ah, that semantic argument will mean a lot to the dead and bereaved after a stupid police shooting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Not the officer's primary concern, nor should it be.

The crux of my argument is that if it's impossible for an officer to properly identify a real, clear, and present lethal threat and react accordingly, why should we be allowing them to identify and shoot people based on unclear, not-present threats? You can't really have it both ways where cops aren't good enough to shoot when there's a threat, but they're plenty good enough to shoot before they have even identified a threat. And while I am reluctant to make any direct military to police comparisons, because of some clear differences, I feel that in both jobs, when people volunteer for them, they sign up for some danger and potentially disadvantageous ROE. It's all rather situational though.

There are certainly some cases of unarmed people getting killed by cops where I'll say "poo poo sucks" without damning the cop. If someone goes out there to suicide by cop and intentionally misleads cops into thinking they're armed just to suddenly lunge at a cop and get gunned down, I got it. If a cop is rushing into an active shooter scenario and shooting in good faith, but an errant round hits an innocent person, or the cop misidentifies a good samaritan with a gun, those are tragedies and part of living in society. If someone is, say, crawling around on the ground crying while a cop with a rifle demands that they crawl toward them while their pants fall down and then the cop flips out and shoots them, gently caress that cop, he was in a position to positively ID a threat before shooting. If someone is not complying but not a clear life/limb/eyesight danger, that should not be grounds to kill them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

A standing army is provided for in the Constitution. You just have to re-fund the Army every 2 years.

It's not unconstitutional, but not explicitly a standing army, no. The constitution says congress will maintain a navy. It will raise and support armies. It sure looks like the initial idea was not having big standing armies on a permanent basis, but that rapidly went away in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

hi long time lurker first time poster, why do you guys shoot dogs all the time?

In fifth edition, warlocks gain temporary hitpoints for every kill they make, so warlock cops are just trying to powergame, role playing be damned.

• Locked thread