Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Criminology + Eugenics = Criminogenics

... not that I believe in anything.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I'm catching up on the CE thread and I am disappointed at the lack of debate about trans-gendered military service going on in this thread.

So.

Mental illness: should or should not be a barrier to enlistment?

~touches pencil eraser to chin, gazes deep into your eyes~

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

If it is then who is actually fit to join?

Fair point. It's practically a prerequisite.

Imagine the perfect soldier,

A cross-section of record suicide rates and record sexual assault victimization/allegation rates.

Who would dare stand against us?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I dunno, I think every agency/facility/institution should have a judge on payroll to deem people mentally incapable of whatever.

There could be a whole mess of them reporting to one government agency.

And they could be issued sick helmets.

Just thinkin out loud here.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Arc Light posted:

They could probably handle adjudication of guilt more effectively than juries, too. Stands to reason that a judge would understand the law better than twelve idiots who couldn't get out of jury duty.

It's a thought.

Oh wow yeah that's true, juries are poo poo.

And honestly I think one of the biggest drawbacks to the death penalty that nobody really ever acknowledges is that loving JURIES full of said-idiots are the ones serving defendants up for death.

If the flawed jury factor in the judicial system were to be bypassed entirely, I think that would merit a total re-evaluation of the many virtues of the death penalty.

In a vacuum free of idiot peers, death solves a lot of society's problems.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

It's a dangerous world out there for someone taking all this responsibility. We better look into giving them some really good armor and biometric security on their guns.

I wasn't down for this initially, but upon further consideration the "HE WAS REACHING FOR MY GUN!" defense can still apply if the gun is heavy enough and vaguely cudgel-shaped.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Just GIS'd "Cudgel" and I'm not seeing a lot of consistency.

The point still stands though.

Since everything everywhere is potentially cudgel-shaped.

Schroedinger's Holster.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I get to call witnesses, say things like "Objection: hearsay", and make closing arguments.

JUST LIKE ON TV!

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

It's really weird that a college activist suffering from depression and gender dysphoria was in a position to martyr themselves in the name of LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME ALL COPS ARE BADDDDDDDDDD

On the list of wild, crazy outcomes for somebody entering adulthood chock-full of mental illness and zero self-worth, that's up there with opiate overdose and enlisting in the Marine Corps.

Strange days.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

If you're going to appropriate the suffering of a minority population in America, why choose denying the existence of your own weiner enroute to transparently manufacturing a glorious #BLM death?

Take up Catholicism, crank out 10 kids, lose your social security card, roll your own cigarettes, work 80 hours a week, and wear cowboy boots.

Dancing with your granddaughter at her quinceanera beats getting dusted by Campus Police.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

EVERY other thing aside,

I get why 1 round becomes 10 rounds when there's a perceived threat.

Dude looked fine right up until his body realized it was dead.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Guy runs before they've searched him, then stops and wheels, raising his hand and directing it towards the cop.

Shouldn't be a cop if he can't wait to see if that fraction-of-a-second motion ends with a bullet through his brain, right?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Cops are never wrong.

Non-compliant people who act irrationally are always right.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

cops making jokes about other cops committing murder is extremely my poo poo.

not a cop.

just bad.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Before we move on to a different subject could you please tell us in very clear terms if you think the jury made the correct decision or not? Thanks :)

The most egregious cop murder video I ever saw was the one where the guy runs like 10 feet away from the cop and he gets gunned down the whole way.

Then I saw the documentary about the guy who stabilized the video and then later saw that the victim had actually grabbed the cop's tazer and the cop had to assume he still had it when he shot him. .. and nobody gave a poo poo. Because it felt bad.

Goon Cops say cop was bad. Good enough for me. But I'm still gonna look and think about it.

The cop says "don't put your hands at the small of your back again or I'll shoot you" and then the guy reaches for his waistband. An argument could be made for the hosed up "crawl towards me" if the cops believed there might be an armed man still in the room (there were two men in there when the complaint about someone aiming a gun was called in and they are asking him throughout the video if anyone else is inside).

I know that all looks like gibberish to you because every authority figure everywhere is a bad bad murder man but it's okay to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities instead of accepting feels as unquestionable truth.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

brand engager posted:

he toyed with a prone crying man and then killed him as if he was gonna 420quickscope him from that position

Prone is the most stable firing position.

Makes you think.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

did you just say the Walter Scott shooting was justified? Because god drat gently caress you

Seemed compelling to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSb00oSzuY

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

In what loving world is shooting a fleeing man armed with a taser remotely justified

The one where he can turn around, use it on you, and then murder you?

I may just be a simple pervert wrangler, but

That seems like something you shouldn't have to roll the dice on. Good for you for knowing yourself with such a high degree of certainty that you can say another man deserves a ~20 year sentence for not handling the situation as well as you've handled it.

.. I assume that's happened to you. Can't imagine why else you'd be so certain of his thought process.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

i think there are rare occasions where shooting someone in the back is justified as self defense. this wasn't one of them though.

but i mean if you want to play "what if" with people and shoot them because your "what if" scenario ends with them killing you, then i guess cops should just be weapons free on everyone.

because...

like...

what if, man?

Questionable use of lethal force aside,

In your opinion, someone who just wrestled a tazer out of a cop's hand presents the same amount of baseline risk as "everyone else"?

Shut up Cole.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

errr wait it's two stories right? He meant this one? Daniel Shaver?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.bfb939ba62e5

We're talking about both.

Prior to Shaver, Scott was the most obvious (imo) unnecessary use of lethal force on video.

But even then I was surprised by the things shown in that documentary I posted above.

And so, with that in mind, I'm not passing judgment on the cop who killed Shaver.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

But lmao at prefacing your question with "questionable use of lethal force aside"

Keep doing mental gymnastics to justify cops murdering people.

boop the snoot posted:

but i mean if you want to play "what if" with people and shoot them because your "what if" scenario ends with them killing you, then i guess cops should just be weapons free on everyone.

It's your premise. If you think it's "mental gymnastics" then maybe you should..

Shut.

Up.

Cole.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

yall eat rear end?

It's for my thesis.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Someone post a link about the defense cruising for blue line bunnies in voire dire or whatever.

I don't doubt it,

I'm just lazy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

While some of the lack of good applicants is poor pay. I'd argue that another huge factor in quality of applicants is that a lot of people view being a cop as bad because of the worst of the bunch shooting people and being racist fucks. Would I, a college educated miliant liberal, want to work in my hometown police department? No. Hell no. Despite being in a democratic town in a liberal state, its rural enough that the whole police force is known to be racist as gently caress and are a miserable lot to deal with even as an affluent white.

That mindset is driving away good applicants who would make inroads to correcting that mindset. No one wants to be the one guy in twenty with no friends at work because he's the dirty liberal who won't billy club the black man outside the local dive bar.

boop the snoot posted:

I think a huge factor is that a lot of applicants think Lethal Weapon and Die Hard, or any generic late 80s/early 90s cop action movies were documentaries.

This is why I never enlisted. The military is not for people who consider themselves individuals; it's for people who like to stack naked Arabs in pyramids and clear houses with grenades.

Also, as someone who doesn't identify as a conservative christian xenophone, I'd never make any friends. :(

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Seems weird to me that people in the military forum are outraged that armed agents of the state charged with making life or death decisions may get it wrong sometimes and kill the wrong people on the basis of imperfect knowledge, without any malice or having committed a crime.

Right?

Smiling Jack posted:

There's a big mismatch between the civil ROE of most police departments and the criminal statues. Some departments will fire officers who are found not guilty in shootings although it is very rare. I think Milwaukee has done it. The NYPD was moving to fire the officer who shot Ramarley Gharam when the officer resigned.

Milwaukee cop was fired for putting himself in a position where justifiable use of lethal force was his only option. I guess MPD has a strict "no solo v. crazy hobo" policy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

McNally posted:

I wasn't kicking in doors or calling in airstrikes while in Iraq, but you seem confused so I'll rephrase myself.

The rules regarding the use of force which I personally was required to follow while in Iraq were probably stricter than the rules regarding the use of force that most police officers in the United States are required to follow.

What-

How

WHAT?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

:how:

Yeah, great point, better pre-emptively return fire just to be sure.

Duh?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

McNally posted:

I was told that I was only allowed to open fire if I had a gun pointed at me, preferably after they pulled the trigger (just in case it's a misunderstanding).

.. in a turret? I'm still baffled.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pretty sure nobody would give a fart if we shot a guy after they disarmed us (wtf cole) or if we lit up an Opel bottoming out and speeding towards us.

Who the gently caress taught you guys RoE? I was in Iraq after it went all "share the road" and Afghanistan after that. You adhere to RoE as best as time and distance permits. Use your loving judgement.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

for a bitchmade fucker that was never actually in combat vv sure is a bloodthirsty internet hardass film major

I'd say something mean about 45 ACP CURES NAZIS but I have no idea who he is

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I'm with Cole.

Bitcoin buyers are working with limited information. Applying 20/20 hindsight, here, now, when it's clear to everyone how big of a mistake their actions were, is pretty goddamn dishonest.

Put yourself in their shoes; what decision would you make, in that moment, with the info they had available to them at that time?

"Ground floor! I'm gonna be rich!" you'd shout as you slam the "SPEND" button over and over, just to be sure.

:cop:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Warm up the thread.

1 in 1 million cops did a thing.

Clearly all cops are bad and good people can't become cops to fix the problem over time because then they would become cops and, by definition, be also bad.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Chichevache posted:

I was finally CS gassed. That was really easy.

The burning was fine.

The bad bit was the sensation of a pebble in your shoe, except in this case the shoe is your eyelid.

I just walked in a circle for like 30 minutes going ARGH. gently caress. blink blink. ARGH. gently caress.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

That seems like a really random axe to grind. Then again, I've never met a PO.

I'd be shocked-

SHOCKED I SAY,

To find out Kawasaki Nun has some edgy opinions on the persecution of hands-off sex offenders.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Cop shoot man video I think demonstrates an approach advocated by some folks in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWg4Y-2-VAo

Dude is acting irrational as gently caress, cops smoothly transition to tazering him, and he still manages to pull off a few rounds. No good answers, right?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

And also how you can wait til it goes south and also live, instead of scaredy-shooting them ahead of time.

haha jesus christ.

Disregard the guy trying to unload his gun at the cop I guess.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

I said that was a good shoot. And it was. :confused:

They should've "scaredy shot" him. Instead they hosed around and put their lives, and any bystander lives, in the hands of:

- Chinese children who assembled the tazer
- dipshit's firearm maintenance
- Odds that dipshit's bullets are gonna go dirt dirt dirt and not leg chest face

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Ah yes, they should've shot the presumed innocent suspect. That is a smart and well analyzed position. Hell the president would probably agree with you.

"Cops need 12 jurors and a conviction before I'll comply with any instruction to indicate that I am not going to murder them during their investigation."

Smart. Well analyzed. The president would probably agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

requires X-Ray vision, Spidey senses, and a host of other super powers.

Or, you know, eyeballs and ears to receive all those signals that say "I have no intention of complying with any instruction to do anything which would indicate that I am not going to murder you during this investigation."

Cole thinks killing a man with the assistance of a tazer requires Matrix-tier gymnastics.

You think perceiving threatening behavior requires super senses.

I found the answer. You're both retarded autists.

• Locked thread