Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Agag posted:

If someone drops a bomb on your house and kills your entire family while you are eating dinner, are you a coward who was hiding behind his children and using them as human shields?
In this scenario, do I have reason to believe that I will be the target of a drone strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Agag posted:

Nope. You're just a random brown guy the US government decided to kill based on "metadata." They don't even know your name.

Then no. But I wonder how many cases fit your profile.

Like I'm extremely anti-drone strike, especially when only using metadata, but let's not pretend the people being struck are saints.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nerses IV posted:

Yeah Germany definitely didn't get splintered in the name of a sectarian conflict, by the way what the gently caress is the Ummah lmao

Side A of an early Pink Floyd album.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

lovely Wizard posted:

So are people realizing with the UK terrorist leaks that the enemies (US leakers) of their enemy (Trump) aren't actually their friend and have a specific agenda they want to accomplish?

Essplain.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like the idea of an isolationist America, but nature abhors a vacuum and I doubt very much whoever replaces them on the world stage will be anything better than extremely worse.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Multiculturalism has failed. We haven't really tried integration.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If they're concerned about optics then just create patronage appointments for investigating relatively benign religions. Reward your top donor by appointing him Director of Mormon Terrorism Investigation and let him schmooze in Salt Lake City for a few years on the public dime.

Particularly motivated weeaboos can join the Shinto Hate Watch Bureau.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Head Detective, Radical Jainism Squad

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
idk but I'd bet good money that in our lifetimes we see one European country go completely off the rails and start pogromming migrants

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

15 years til, not the caliphate, but something along those lines as democracy begins to turn in their favor in different areas.

Isn't this already happening in ethnic ghettos in the UK?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
We're due for a financial crisis and AFAIK our governments won't be able to whip out the usual bag of tricks because our last recovery was built on a foundation of sand and those triage fixes became the new norm. If populism is simmering now then I don't think it'd take much to boil over if there was a major crash with the Orange Clown at the free world's helm.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Agag posted:

and the most powerful country in the world can't win a war against hill people in the poorest countries on earth,
Pretty good run for a while there, though.

It's been a long time since we've waged total war, friend.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Agag posted:

They failed though. They never got rid of the people they wanted to get rid of. They just killed a bunch and became a disgrace that ended in failure anyway.

So the idea that there is going to be a successful genocide against Muslims or whatever group you don't like, and that genocide would make the future better for anybody, is a fantasy for messed up kids on the Internet.

lol who the gently caress is advocating genocide you idiot

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nerses IV posted:

I don't know why you feel like you have to wipe a population off the face of the earth for it to be considered a successful ethnic cleansing. Like, you're acting like we failed to genocide the natives because there's still millions of them left, but I'm pretty sure they'd disagree.

No, let's be unequivocal: they do disagree. It was genocide.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SickZip posted:

The concept of national disgrace or sin as your applying it is a pseudo-religious doctrine with no relevance to the vast majority of the world and with its only real penetration in certain segments of the west. Timur and Genghis are celebrated in their cultures, Stalin in Russia, Mao in China. Hitler would have been if he won

idk Rome is still reeling to this day after what they did to the Bulgars

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
heh, I know you D&Dphobic boors are just want to keep circlejerking, but check out this hot take: let's NOT genocide muslim people!!!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Smythe posted:

what the gently caress is going on itt ?

I think Agag took it upon himself to get the thread gassed so he started talking about genocide and how every ITT is all for it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nerses IV posted:

We need to find out why some of these guys integrate like they've been waiting to do it all their lives, and others absolutely refuse to. We're paying for all this electronic surveillance, what the gently caress are we using it for??

Some of the people who left loved their society and it was only a question of survival. Why would that person ever embrace the host culture, especially if they are the conservative sort?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nerses IV posted:

Because the society they left must have been super hosed if they had to flee it or die

That works for a persecuted minority, not so much for Aziz the greengrocer who woke up one morning to find a crater where his shop used to be.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

There's only 2 solutions

1) Give them what they want and institute Sharia law

2) Accept that children will be blown up with bombs

Anything less is racist.

You're not a... a racist, are you?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

I always think it's odd how worked up people get over these relatively small death tolls from terrorism while not giving even the slightest of shits about all the death that just naturally occurs to poors in their own country. For all the hoopla this poo poo gets we could easily save more lives than any of these bombings take by just investing a bit more into social safety nets.
Hrm, yes. *blows bubbles out of a plastic pipe*

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

They were obviously overcompensating to counter The Patriarchy's sexist preconceptions.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

I got prob for posting a video of a British news dude saying ''enough is enough.'' About Manchester and being extremely emotional, you know like any father would when his children are threaten by people that say they want to kill them.

it's just a sixer
it's six hours you big baby
it's only six hours you whiner
it's just a sixer you stupid idiot
qq six hours for hate is nothing
you bitch
looks like the little bitchboy is complaining about a sixer
its a sixer you stupid rear end in a top hat
you dick
loving idiot
you dumb loving idiot it's just six hours
it's only six hours you piece of poo poo
you sack of poo poo
six hours for a poo poo eating nazi
whining about six hours for your nazi post? suck my dick
eat my rear end you human being bitch its only six hours
six hours is nothing you whiny little bitch baby
you whore
you bitch baby crying to daddy about six hours
catching sixers like your orange daddy's cummies
its just six hours
six hours lol cry about it
its a six hour probation you fascist
you fuckboy
sixer scum

thank you i hope you like my poems please support my patreon

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

morally adept posted:

Was agag really defending genocide? He was just explaining that Islams initial growth and expansion wasn't simply due to brutality and ruthlessness.

No he was just doing a piss-poor job arguing for why genocide was bad against some strawman he created, and then when everyone started mocking his dumbass arguments, he decided that meant the thread was pro-genocide.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

Also btw gutting access to healthcare will kill far more people than a hundred flashy bombs going off, that doesn't stimulate the toddler-like fear centers in your brain though because you are incapable of foresight. 50,000 people a year, you dumb fucks, which is also about as many people who die because baby boomers decide not to get flu vaccines before they hold babies and visit nursing homes

In the Star Trek universe, Vulcans are seen to have a consistent ethical system involving satisfying the preferences of the greatest number of people, even if it means sacrificing the interests of a fewer number of people. This perspective is most similar to the human utilitarian ethical system.[15] In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Spock sacrifices himself to save the lives of those on the Enterprise, stating that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." In Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), Spock uses the same logic to justify his attempt to sacrifice himself. In the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "The Galileo Seven", Spock states that "it is more rational to sacrifice one life than six." In Star Trek: Enterprise, T'Pol states that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is a Vulcan axiom.[16]

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
You can't judge capitalism based on the abuses of a tiny minority of its practitioners. Capitalism is an ideology of prosperity.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If another water main explodes so soon then Manchester really needs to hire better civil engineers.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Well, wasn't that guy an engineer? He was probably trying to fix that pipe.

Was he actually an engineering student because laffo if so

the trump tutelage posted:

What are the odds he was a second generation engineering student?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
no but you see you cannot conflate the hadith with "islam" as such because pissssssssssssss

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

KomodoWagon posted:

lol I never said this and have said nothing to defend Islam itt.
Didn't mean you specifically, it's just line of defence I've seen before.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Hello please help yourself to some refreshments we'll be getting started in a few minutes

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm not making excuses for it.

What I am saying is the only reason Christianity isn't just as much into slaughtering their enemies, murdering gay people by repeatedly throwing rocks at them, etc. is because they've had several decades of this watered-down narrative being taught, while calling anyone who is honestly following their religious text an extremist or a psycho, and at the same time, stating that "They aren't really X Religion! Our religion is of peace." Both sides use quotes that justify their positions but the majority don't look at the whole.

It's not just Christanity of course. It's a problem with all Abrahamic religions.

People ignore passage after passage about those who just pay things lip service and don't actually follow the Bible/Torah/Quran (I am assuming those passages can be found in the Quran, anyway, they sure can in the others) as being the worst and condemned, because they think their hip-modernized religion still counts when they should be saying 'You know what, this is crazy, gently caress this.'

Churches have the best MLM scheme going ever, they turn every member in their ranks into a recruiter as long as they keep the message palatable.

I don't think there are many Christian chauvinists in the thread, so in this context you're just equivocating. Like even if Islamic doctrine isn't uniquely problematic in some objective sense, it is in a subjective sense right now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Uhhh... You don't need to be a cleric if you can cast Wish, dingus.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
DEBATE

quote:

I encourage the stereotype that all leftists know nothing about firearms. It makes it easier to take fuckers like you by surprise. Happy trails, dickface.
DISCUSS

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
diggin this facebook thread/terrorism thread crossover event

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

They only have the power you allow them to have.

Seriously.

Next time someone tells you how you're offending (or the thousand other things they say) them just look them dead in the eye and "I don't care".

Their shtick only works when people start trying to apologize/care.
Uhhh, in my personal experience that doesn't work so well when they're a coworker or superior.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

European military history up until the last 200 years has pretty much been defined by repelling muslim (often genocidal) invasions but somehow they have to feel bad about the crusades.

For the self-loathing left, European/Middle Eastern relations begin just after the Crusades ended in 1919

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Agag posted:

We should feel bad about the Crusades because the Crusaders were loving losers who got their asses kicked, but only after the murdered and raped a bunch of Muslim, Jewish, and Orthodox Christian civilians. The Ottomans were just returning the favor. That's why the modern Muslim-hating crowd is more into defensive wars like the siege of Vienna and Lepanto.
Moorish incursions into Christendom way preceded the Crusades. Besides that, it's not as though the First Crusade was some unprovoked act of aggression against an unsuspecting region.

You can play the blame game all day, but it is a boring game with no winner.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Agag posted:

To me it comes down to two things:

1. You can't effectively argue that Muslims or Islam constitute some uniquely awful group of human beings, and

2. Even if you could show that they were, and everybody else could be convinced that they were, there's still nothing anybody could do about it.

👏 assim 👏 ilate 👏 or leave 👏👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
throw out christ and bring back thor, imo

• Locked thread