Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Backlash didn't sell out. Was on its way until matches were announced and ticket sales died almost immediately.

No SD PPV since the brand split has sold out and this very likely did the worst

It was a few hundred away from a sell out, it definitely didn't do the worst. There was one in the fall that drew house show like numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

It was a few hundred away from a sell out, it definitely didn't do the worst. There was one in the fall that drew house show like numbers.

Haha it was Backlash 2016. Fitting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Do we know what the Jinder/Orton house shows are doing? I expect those will do worse

Most of the house shows they've done since they switched to Jinder were in Europe so it's really impossible to tell. Those tickets were sold months ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dias posted:

I still don't know why they split the women's and the tag division. Just put each one on different shows, focus the draft on singles and NXT callups, maybe two dudes decide to move to tag or singles competition, I'unno.

Their ratings are down so far with men but steadyish with women that it'd be nuts to make the women's division brand exclusive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dias posted:

Are they steady in both shows, and compared to what they were before the brand split? What about the tag divisions? From a booking perspective it feels weird to separate two very shallow divisions in half, I'm not sure if it's THE move from a business standpoint either, even if the ratings didn't budge all that much. A lot of WWE's decisions boil down to "we're not sure because every time they try to change no one commits past the adaptation stage anyway", as far as I care.

Haven't seen Smackdown demos in awhile so I'm not sure. With the tag and women they should have just had one champion across too shows. The divisions are way too shallow but it'd be weird to have one be brand exclusive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Is this worse than when The Shiek bought the NWA Championship?

No one cared. At least compare it to one of the AWA title reigns that were bought when that title kind of meant something... this is dumber than either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

If I remember correctly, he turned down the offer because they were going to saddle him with the Umaga gimmick.

He turned it down because it was less money than he was making then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

lol the Hardys are losing to TNA

If you'd read what you posted you'd see that isn't the case. They didn't lose the patent to TNA, they filed too vague of a claim.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Cena-Miz feud was trash, Miz did all the work and i hope Nikki doesnt come back ever again.

Cena had the best promo in the feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

what are your thoughts on ddp and randy savage

DDP also wasn't literally rehearsing matches over and over. Although with house show loops if WWE could get their booking together they basically could do that now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

JBL held the Smackdown belt for almost a year and he was worse than Jinder.

JBL was a much better promo and no worse in the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

The India tour isn't until September and if he drops it before then what was the point

The India tour is a few house shows, they didn't give him the belt to pop a couple house shows. Whether those sell out or not is besides the point of trying to get a bunch of Indians to sign up for the Network. You might as well have him be champion on that tour, but it doesn't really matter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

A small side thing on the Jinder/India connection:

I am half Indian. My father was born and raised in Bengalaru. I have blood relatives who still live there. Most of which who are very jingoistic Rah Rah India etc. type people. My aunt is always clogging up my facebook feeds with bullshit about Narendra Modi, or about some little girl who won a spelling bee in America because she is of Indian descent etc. They all know I am a wrestling fan and, as family are wont to do, make fun of me for it.

Yet I have heard nothing from them about Jinder Mahal. Nothing about how he is the second Indian world champion, just as I heard nothing about Khali when he was on top. If they had heard about it I am sure they would be crowing about it, or at least would have mentioned it to me.

So, whilst I am not doubting the numbers of new Indian WWE subscribers, or facebook likes or whatever the statistic is they are counting, from my small personal experience the WWE does not have anywhere near the sort of cultural penetration or significance in India that it thinks it does.

From pretty much everywhere in the real world WWE doesn't have any significance in Indian culture.

But in the WWE universe it's huge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

So are you saying it's a similar thing to how Muscle & Fitness magazine is a well loved prestigious mainstream publication in the WWE Universe, yet ignored by literally everybody else in the world?

I think there is a better chance you come across a Muscle and Fitness reader than WWE becomes an Indian cultural phenomenon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

If the WWE really wants to expand into India, why not give a developmental contract to that legitimate women's wrestler who won like, their only medal (completely unexpectedly, I might add) the country had at the olympics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakshi_Malik

Also their only decorated female wrestler ever. So there's that.

"Wow you are going to pay me jackshit to do something stupid that no one in my country likes and give up future Olympic ambitions? Sign me up!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

She'll be 28 when the next olympics rolls around. Take the lovely payday.

She's made more just from amateur wrestling than a wrestler could hope for in ten years of developmental. There's also World Championships next year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

They know less people watch when there's spoilers available

They're already getting MNF-competition level ratings in loving May, 2 mil viewership is already not out of the question within the year. They'd just be making things worse for themselves, especially with a new TV deal negotiation being a year away and already having very little leverage for any kind of good result

There's really no evidence that taped leads to significantly lower ratings. But their schedule would make it really difficult to tape both shows and I am almost positive their agreements with USA dictate live.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

They should just start bringing in paid extras as the audience.

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic Lucha Underground might sue.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CubsWoo posted:

It's amazing looking back at times like the 80s where huge chunks of the business were on gear and coke and people bled nightly and did unsafe things with ungimmicked chairs and tables on top of working heavier schedules yet careers lasted as long or longer than they do now and the characters were so popular and iconic that even mid/upper midcard guys from the era still get nostalgia pops that outshine the current talent. The aftermath and the dead wrestlers before old age are tragic but it remains to be seen if the current talent will see similar death rates 10-20 years out.

Wrestling is a performance and nobody bats an eye when actors take and do dangerous poo poo to change their bodies for a role. There's no point in having the policy if it doesn't have teeth outside of calming shareholder nerves (since apparently part-timers aren't tested and you can get a waiver like Ryback did) so just quietly hand out exemptions, do token suspensions for the benefit of the company and let's get the Dino Bravo Memorial Bench Press tournament going in the fall of 2018.

The death rate is definitely down. It's easy to overlook that drug testing does make it tougher for guys to abuse painkillers and that's what was killing a lot of guys super young. Remains to be seen if we see the steroid related deaths in the 40s and 50s though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

super macho dude posted:

I wonder if the injury rate for WWE wrestlers is higher today than it was 20-30 years ago because of more emphasis on "work rate" and the insane schedule today's workers have.

The schedule was much crazier 30 years ago and guys aren't carrying around as much steroid mass now (even if some guys are juicing) so it balances out. There's probably more guys taking time off for injuries now because you aren't as punished for taking time off as you used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Was the amount of travel greater or less than it is now, because that's cited as a large part of what makes the schedule so bad

Much worse. You'd be on the road for weeks straight with tour routes that weren't streamlined to make travel easier. Also WWE paid for a plane ticket to the tour but not one home so some lower card guys would have to stay on the road since it was cheaper than flying home for a couple days. Bad News Allen protested that and got the policy changed. WWF touring in the 80s was a lot like doing the European tour constantly. Crockett guys had about the same number of dates but they had to travel a bit less between cities. The AWA schedule was considerably easier than either even at their peak but by the mid 80s the AWA was in decline so it's not a good comparison.

• Locked thread