Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It stayed the same size, it peeled right off and no I didn't eat it cuz gummy bears are gross :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm going to have to try this gummy bear experiment.

Do I need an STC to install gummy bear vortex generators?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

sleepy gary posted:

Sometimes I see those balls where there's no airport or even a helipad. I wonder what that's about.

I see them on high tension lines over rivers or valleys sometimes and I suppose they're there cause those are features people tend to follow in light aircraft at relatively low altitude?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I see them on high tension lines over rivers or valleys sometimes and I suppose they're there cause those are features people tend to follow in light aircraft at relatively low altitude?

There are some military training routes (MTRs) that’d give us clearance down to the surface. Our SOP was never lower than 50’ and we’d usually never go below 100’. We had every tower and wire that exists (publicly) charted on a moving map. This was in the Osprey fwiw. These routes exist everywhere too. Probably some of the best flying I’ve ever done.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

We had every tower and wire that exists (publicly) charted on a moving map.

The problem isn't the published wires. (We often fly below 100')

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Arson Daily posted:

I smooshed a gummy bear onto the outside of the window of my airplane and then flew from SJC to HNL and then KOA and he stayed stuck there the whole time. I need better hobbies.
That's not what they meant when they said take a gummy and get high.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The problem isn't the published wires. (We often fly below 100')

That’s why we didn’t go below 100’.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I don't post here often, but after 2 years and 63 hrs I have passed my PPL checkride :).

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
That's awesome, congrats! :woop:

I'm currently working through the King Schools FIRC. It's exactly as exciting as it sounds. Has been a good review of poo poo I'm rusty on, not having actively instructed for almost 2 years now.

Cue new Martha sex dreams.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Walrusmaster posted:

I don't post here often, but after 2 years and 63 hrs I have passed my PPL checkride :).

Congrats!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

cigaw posted:

That's awesome, congrats! :woop:

I'm currently working through the King Schools FIRC. It's exactly as exciting as it sounds. Has been a good review of poo poo I'm rusty on, not having actively instructed for almost 2 years now.

Cue new Martha sex dreams.

You really gonna pretend John isn't in those dreams too?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

sleepy gary posted:

You really gonna pretend John isn't in those dreams too?
"You're in deep yogurt now!"

*end of test jingle plays ominously in the background*

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Walrusmaster posted:

Congratulations! Let's make financially irresponsible choices together!

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

cigaw posted:

"You're in deep yogurt now!"

*end of test jingle plays ominously in the background*

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Has anyone gone through the delta interview process lately?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Feels like kind of a monkey's paw thing but I picked up a sinus infection that's getting me out of commuting to LGA for reserve this week. I'm now off until the transfer to my home base goes through. Yeehaw *cough*

At the beginning of the year I was a corporate pilot with miserable compensation, and I'm now an airline dude at a major that is already done commuting. How wild is that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Calling in sick is so gratifying now, especially when you get out of your last commute!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I still have a little bit of anxiety left over from the private side of things where I second guess myself for calling out sick.

Like “I’m sick, but it’s the first day of my last week commuting, that looks pretty bad on paper” then after a few minutes it’s “wait a second who gives a poo poo, nobody is gonna call to yell at me.”

Pretty unfortunate how bosses harassing you can stick with you like a messy relationship.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 26, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I stacked two 4 day trips together with a day off so I wouldn't have to commute as often and Im already regretting it. 10 days on the road is gonna be muy mal. So yes commuting is the devil and every one who flys airplanes for a living should just live in base and make peace with living in New York or Baltimore or Dallas or LA or Denver (shudder). Not worth it IMO and yet I've got another 15 years of it.

Working for a place with 10's of thousands of employees is great because you're just a cog in the machine. If you bang out sick there are literally hundreds of people that can take your place. I had a guy call off fatigued for a flight that had already boarded and we only took about a 30 minute delay over it. They'll figure it out no problem

double edit: dammit I can only find one of my epaulettes. This sucks fml

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 26, 2023

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Arson Daily posted:

double edit: dammit I can only find one of my epaulettes. This sucks fml

Just wear your jacket to cover up your missing epaulettes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
One of the best things about working for an airline is I can disappear for 2 weeks and nobody gives a gently caress. I’ll never give that up

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Just wear your jacket to cover up your missing epaulettes.

Luckily I can ride my own airplanes sans tie and epaulettes so hopefully they have some at the base I can buy. Otherwise I'm just gonna send it and hope some check airman douche doesn't see me

Edit: wait you don't mean my suit jacket right cuz lololololol I dont wear that nonsense

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I’m 99% sure the base coordinators keep some for this reason. Or you could just be a permanent commuter your entire next trip lol.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

in the US we assign altitude in 1,000 ft increments right? what do metric countries do?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VostokProgram posted:

in the US we assign altitude in 1,000 ft increments right? what do metric countries do?

300 or 400, it’s real annoying

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Luckily it's only china and some of the stans iirc. Still a pain to pull out the cheat sheet to set 8300 meters in the feet only MCP

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So a flight academy in California had one of their planes crash with an instructor and a flight attendant taking an intro flight on it the other day.

My GF took an intro flight on that exact airframe a few months ago and is slightly freaked over it. Apparent loss of power, plane crashed into a park, no fire, but there was apparently some fuel spill to clean up. It's a Sling TSI, so a kit plane on an experimental certificate, and looking at the operator manual, the fuel feed selector lever has three positions: left, right, and off.

How's that work when you're flying? Seems like that'd be constantly loving with your trim as you're draining the tank on only one side of the aircraft. Do you just keep switching back and forth at regular intervals?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Hack a clock and switch every half an hour. If you forget and the engine starts to run rough your first memory items should be to switch the fuel tanks. It has caused accidents before. It was speculated John Denver died in his crash because of his unfamiliarity with the tanks of his new Long-EZ.

Accidents happen far too frequently in GA flying unfortunately. It’s shouldn’t necessarily be a reason to not learn to fly if you are really passionate about it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Can you give instruction in an experimental? Like regular instruction not as part of a checkout or familiarization

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Flew around the last few days with an ex F16 guy who encouraged me to disconnect nice and early and hand fly raw data and proper visual apps and deps. (Occasionally by reaching over and pulling the switch on the MCP lol) After 3 years of no flying due covid and a baby and after a couple of hundred hours getting comfortable with the aircraft again it was good to shake off the rust and realise I hadn't completely lost the skills.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Flew around the last few days with an ex F16 guy who encouraged me to disconnect nice and early and hand fly raw data and proper visual apps and deps. (Occasionally by reaching over and pulling the switch on the MCP lol) After 3 years of no flying due covid and a baby and after a couple of hundred hours getting comfortable with the aircraft again it was good to shake off the rust and realise I hadn't completely lost the skills.

One would think that performing basic flight of the airplane would be one of the things the training department makes pilots do, and not wait years later for a random hot shot captain that enjoys party stunts.

I'm not dunking on your particular operation here, but the whole industry.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

vessbot posted:

One would think that performing basic flight of the airplane would be one of the things the training department makes pilots do, and not wait years later for a random hot shot captain that enjoys party stunts.

I'm not dunking on your particular operation here, but the whole industry.

Nah its the whole industry, I've never found as a whole it's been actively encouraged. Before covid I'd make a point to do it regularly when I could. Being a good FO bitch though, if a capt wasn't comfortable I'm not going to insist. My main point was I've had a long time off and I'm just starting to feel I'm getting back to where I was before an enforced absence, it feels good to really get ahead of the plane again, it helps if the guy your working with is into turn off the vnav, track miles and allow for speed energy management.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Phanatic posted:

How's that work when you're flying? Seems like that'd be constantly loving with your trim as you're draining the tank on only one side of the aircraft. Do you just keep switching back and forth at regular intervals?

Cirrus SR20/22 is like that and you have lots of reminders to switch tanks, also, you’ll get fuel imbalance warnings.

OTOH on a plane with only wing tanks and a fuel selector that allows Both to be selected if you get a fuel flow issue on one side you can be quietly developing an asymmetric fuel load without realizing it. As opposed to swapping tanks and noticing the problem right away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All of the little low-wing Pipers are that way too. My instructor had a kitchen egg timer in his flight bag for when he was in those planes.

I'm surprised that a Cirrus doesn't have a cross feed and balancer, though. Just who do they think this plane is for??

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DA40s only draw from the left tank unless you select the emergency fuel valve setting. You use a separate electric transfer pump to shift fuel from right to left as you burn it.

You also have no quantity indication for the extended range tanks, so the first ten gallons aren’t displayed at all.

:v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

DA40s only draw from the left tank unless you select the emergency fuel valve setting. You use a separate electric transfer pump to shift fuel from right to left as you burn it.

You also have no quantity indication for the extended range tanks, so the first ten gallons aren’t displayed at all.

:v:

drat you’re flying the fancy DA40s

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
in 208s if you leave the tank selectors on after shutdown, the fuel will siphon itself over to one side even on an extremely shallow bank angle. this will put you outside of the maximum fuel imbalance within about an hour and there isn’t a transfer pump

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

drat you’re flying the fancy DA40s

*single pinkie raised high in the air*

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

illectro posted:

Cirrus SR20/22 is like that and you have lots of reminders to switch tanks, also, you’ll get fuel imbalance warnings.

Stupid SR22 holding people’s hands. In my day if we forgot to switch the tanks we died like men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
this reminds me of the time the fuelers put my entire fuel order on the PC12 into one tank, there was no way to transfer the fuel directly

only way to kinda do it was to turn the pumps off on the low side and run the engine for a while, the fuel that bypasses the engine will go to the low tank, as well as only burning the high side

cue captain e.pilot sitting on the ramp with a pc12 full of people running the engine for something like 45 minutes :negative: