Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Wait what

For certain types of analysis the government puts a price tag on the cost of a human life when comparing it to how much something costs (ie, this will save 100 lives so its worth 300 million dollars or whatever).

Those numbers can always be misused in impressive ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Mods, can I get namechanged to "Aggressive Balloon Maneuver?"

Aviation Megathread v10 | aggressive balloon maneuvers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just got off a flight into ORD that had to go around twice because both times he plane in front of us struck birds on the runway. The third time a different runway was used. Flight path: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2552/history/20170628/2230Z/KMSP/KORD

Don't major airports have bird control measures, especially after US air 1549? Or is this type of thing common and it would've just been a stray birds near an airport like O'hare instead of a flock?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So do you guys fly to somewhere where you could be talking to goon ATC too?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Interesting, seems like such an impossible thing.

The taxiway the Delta landed on had lights at maximum brightness while the runway was at minimum. It was the middle of the night (delayed?) so there were no planes on the ground. The flight was from Europe and the relief pilot became ill so the crew was very tired. (Surprised they didn't have to divert? But I don't know how crewing those flights work)

That incident at least makes some sense given all that.

edit: there was a faa ppt I can't find that had pictures of the lighting conditions
Avherald has the ntsb report at least http://avherald.com/h?article=42187f22

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 4, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

The sensors have had a rough night, give them a break.

They're probably having a relaxing vacation in Mexico now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

well look at that fucker that flew right through the eye. what are the tops on a hurricane? I imagine its gotta be well above 45k'

I hope that's a WC-130 or a WP-3.

As for what that would've been like, please read this https://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

edit: NHC advisory from Friday says a NOAA aircraft found the eye at 1pm CDT - that seems consistent?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 28, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I'm getting hosed so hard by Teterboro gate holding right now.

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzM3aaypEYo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

Alaskan airports are kinda cheating in this regard, but how about "Successful go-around improbable if initiated past the MAP". Why is it improbable? Well, the airport is on the side of a mountain look at the difference between THRE and field elevation and you're flying directly at the mountain as your final approach course.

Also there's no MAP specifically marked.

e: bonus- HOPE YOU LIKE DME ARCS!

“MILITARY CERTIFIED AIRCREWS OR AUTHORIZED CONTRACT AIRCRAFT ONLY” is cheating.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This nifty article explains a lot of it: https://www.verticalmag.com/features/20112-flying-the-v-22-html/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

:golfclap: Seriously though is the performance pretty limited on cirrus jets?

The mention of it made me look it up... https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/july/pilot/cirrus-vision-jet

Vmo 250kias, Mmo 0.53. :crossarms:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I have a longstanding theory that rich dumb people think props are bad no matter what.

I really think the vision jet is the pinnacle of doctor killing technology.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can’t get over that Mmo of 0.53. How is it that slow? :psyduck:

Honda jet is a real jet - Mmo of 0.72, service ceiling FL430.
https://www.hondajet.com/Content/pdf/RedefinesLightJetCategory.pdf

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 27, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

I’ve been told that leaving a box of breathe right strips out helps but it seems that most snorers don’t even know they’re doing it.

Print out the FAA guidance for obstructive sleep apnea and put it next to him!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

If you can't start the engines you're the best bad pilot to have...

Until you're flying with a pilot who can.

Even the “lets 410 it” guys that didn’t understand high altitude flight knew the midair engine start procedure. They didn’t follow it, but they said it correctly in the CVR transcript!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

I carry one because the company had to issue backup batteries for the surface tablets we use as EFBs. Apparently battery life on those really suck when you use 4G cellular to grab dispatch releases, and rather than use iPads like everyone else...:homebrew:

Delta? If so Microsoft basically paid your company to take those phones and tablets out of their stock.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I heard that Microsoft paid to have the software ported, Delta has to be the only customer for that platform.

Kinda like how MS has pay the NFL to use their software

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

What's with this weird trend that when talking about jumpseat or nonrev priority, everyone's suddenly all "our metal" this and "our metal" that? Why do you never hear an airplane called metal in any other situation? Like, "the inbound metal is delayed" or "what's your favorite metal that you've flown" or "how many metals do you see over there in the lineup?"

Frequent fliers talk about it in context with codeshares all the time. Like "gently caress this delta flight is air france metal"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m guessing the jump seat thing is the regional carriers trying to occasionally assert that they’re a real separate company that doesn’t have to do everything their mainline tells them to do?

(Preemptive “narrator voice: they do”)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sleepy gary posted:

And what's wrong with Air France :colbert:

Standard answer would be terrible customer service compared to the other members of that joint venture or whatever Delta/KLM/Air france is called.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t this particular case one where it’s the lack of the instructor’s weight that caused a major difference?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Instructor weight makes a difference, but not that much of a difference. And mostly just in acceleration and climb-out performance. Monday morning quarterbacking a bit but I’d be interested in learning how that instructor taught how to use/apply right rudder.

I'm probably just forgetting how not "light" LSAs are compared to a cessna.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Better than the “get a concussion and dragged off the plane” lottery

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I assume that the dog suffocated? I hadn't realized that the overhead compartments were airtight -- but that sure seems like something that the flight crew should be aware of!

Once again, super satisfied with my decision to boycott that airline. I feel really sorry for the dog and its owners though.

Something doesn't have to be airtight for you to suffocate. Just has not have enough airflow to remove carbon dioxide fast enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

There's plenty of stupid to go around with this incident. The FA claims that they didn't know there was a dog in the bag - bullshit. The passenger should also get a beating for trying to travel (probably on a Basic Economy fare that guarantees being in the last boarding group and saves about :10bux: per seat) with a child, an infant (with all the related infant equipment) and a French Bulldog puppy that - as related in AZ's quote - can barely sustain life under perfect conditions. WTF?

They charged her $120 for the in cabin dog so I'm not so sure what the basic economy fare has to do with it. Infant in arms is also an extra charge isn't it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

I'm pretty sure lap kiddies don't cost anything, but I could be wrong. Still, the gobs of bullshit incumbent upon traveling with an infant means that the space in front of the older kid would probably be taken up with diaper bags and other paraphernalia.

United very, very recently got rid of it's Basic Economy fare, which saves pax a few bucks, but puts them in the last boarding group (which means overhead and underseat space is guaranteed to be nearly gone on a full flight), restricts them to using underseat space - only, and basically - gently caress you. Some of the underseat spaces on UAL 737's are VERY restricted due to cabin entertainment boxes (mostly old Continental birds) and a FAA-legal dog bag might not fit without hanging out unacceptably into the aisle or over a passenger's feet. The $120 bucks for the dog means you get to bring one on, not that you are guaranteed any consideration for doing so.

Like I said, the stupid is everywhere in this incident. If I had a dog in the loving overhead and it was crying during the flight, I'd take the poor thing down and tell the FAA to gently caress off pending the legal shitstorm at the destination.

Mothers with infants board immediately after global services don't they? So there'd be space.

Also you're allowed a diaper bag, breast pump and child seat in addition to your normal allowance: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 15, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So endangering my own life and property is fine!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/23/how-cnn-airport-force-feeds-partisan-content-to-unsuspecting-travelers.html

If Fox News is going to complain about CNN at airports then CNN should run an article about Fox News blaring 24/7 at every FBO pilot lounge, especially if there is a NetJets pilot within about 100 yards.

This is literally fox trying to go on the TVs in airports without paying isn't it. Fox news isn't even submitting bids for these contracts!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fatman1683 posted:

but I'm considering buying an aircraft to do my training in

If money has any value to you do not do this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You'll be randomly turned down for jobs at companies in every industry. The smarter large companies will outright say "just try again in a year". Large companies know they're turning away a lot of qualified people, they just hope that they're not letting any unqualified people slip through.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

At the risk of making things worse in this conversation, I have a Facebook friend who just got hired on at Big Widget.

At 23. :psyboom:

He's saying he flew his last flight at Regional With A Logo Which Kinda Looks Like Northwest's (the alternate name game is kinda fun) six years to the day of getting his Instrument ticket and, at some point along the way, got a DC-9 type and was doing ferry flying in South Florida on the side and I still have no idea how any of that happened.

I'm imagining he parked a DC-9 at a gate in ATL and the gate agent had a W-4 for him while the ground crew started painting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I even like practicing the correct radio calls in multiplayer servers like a huge dork.

I mean, someone already took N42069 so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

soy posted:

I lurk this thread because I like to imagine what it'd be like to be one of you airline pilot dudes, but find it pretty drat shocking that I make more money slamming my head against keyboard doing "software engineering" with virtually no qualifications. Doesn't seem fair, but then again you guys get to fly goddamn airplanes. Coolest thing I get to do is stand in massive datacenter and listen to the white noise.

The overwhelming majority of software guys don’t make that much.

(Majority of pilots make less too of course)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

Jesus Christ this. I have to wear an 1100 dollar noise cancelling headset to not do damage to my mind just to be at work. Open offices are great!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If that was the concern shouldn't the limit be 10,000 ft?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did the flightsim thread find this? https://info.publicintelligence.net/AV-8B-000.pdf

quote:

7.6.7 Conventional Landing
A standard CL, Figure 7-7, requires substantially greater distance to stop than a SL or RVL. Landing distance
available is a critical consideration when performing a CL. The brakes are designed primarily for V/STOL and are
marginal for a CL without PNB (sic: power nozzle braking); therefore, No PNB CLs should be used only as an emergency procedure. Refer to
Performance Data, A1--AV8BB--NFM--400, for stopping distance with and without PNB.

Your brakes can't be used above 60 knots? Those nozzles better work or even conventional landings sound "exciting"!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Both pedals apply the rear main brake, then? Are they tied together, or separate?

Thanks for answering questions, btw.

quote:

2.17.6 Brake System
The twin--wheel main landing gear is equipped with hydraulic operated carbon disc brakes. An antiskid system and
parking brake are also incorporated into the brake system. Both brakes operate simultaneously and progressively as
either brake pedal is depressed

Weird that DCS doesn't model that, they're usually real sticklers on that kind of detail.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Along the same lines, is it not slightly worrying to fly something which has:

quote:

Landing with the engine inoperative shall not be attempted.

In the manual?

Or is it liberating for the engine out procedure to be “eject”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

overdesigned posted:

I mean I'm not a hornet guy but I'm pretty sure they can do it, yeah. Just dump down until you're light enough that it's not horribly unsafe. If you're a E2/C2 maybe (probably) there are directional control issues and they'd just ditch, but I dunno.

Also re: "do not land with engine inop" this thing (and all tactical jets, really) is, like...a brick. Deadsticking it in is a dumb idea.

You can find recordings of F-16 dead stick landings on youtube. Even the century series fighters successfully did flameout approaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0DdpC7GV3A

For the F-104 though you needed a little bit more altitude. Yes that says 15,000 AGL for the high key.

I'm guessing in a harrier even if you could do the approach you couldn't actually stop on the runway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Somehow that approach was flown too!

Thats why I was surprised that the official procedure for a flameout landing for any aircraft ever would be "don't"

(I mean other than engine out procedures being something you spend a lot of time on when learning to fly)