Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://www.oncequietneighborhood.com

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I feel like areas with really bad noise complaint issues need to have annual Lear 23/707-120 flybys, to remind them of the bad old days.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The terrorists won.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So apparently a Traiblazer crew deadsticked their Beechjet into Buffalo from FL390 with Jennifer Lawrence aboard a few days ago.

Hope they didn't have to buy drinks at the bar. Good job, guys.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

St_Ides posted:

I think I'm one of the more experienced (or only?) balloon pilots here (If someone wants to amend my op from "Canada - PP, glider, hot-air" to "Canada/USA/Kenya - PP, glider, hot-air CPL" that would update the last 7ish years) So I can definitely give some answers.

There's your answer.

Balloons really hate strong winds. In North America. maximum speed balloons will launch at is 8-10kt of a constant wind. Less if it's gusty.

Maximum takeoff wind also really depends on the launch site and landing areas. If it's windy and you have a tight launch site, the balloon is going to be swinging around, potentially hitting other balloons/objects. Obviously, that's not ideal. When you have a wide open launch site, you can get away with a bit stronger winds. There's also other factors in the launch site, like if it's in a hollow between a bunch of trees, so the winds swirl and don't give a consistent direction. During inflation, strong winds will push on the balloon, and force air out. If you don't have strong enough inflation fans, or if there's gusts or direction changes, it's possible that you can't even get the balloon inflated. And it'll still be difficult to get it to stand up.

With an ideal launch site, you can get away with taking off in very strong winds (Here in Kenya, I've taken off in 25kt of wind. This wouldn't be possible -or advised- to do anywhere else) but that's also using a big balloon (400,000+ cu ft) of a design without in-flight vents (which makes it easier to stand up, but only suitable in areas where aggressive maneuvering isn't required)

Landing is the other issue. If you're flying in an urban area, you really don't want to be landing in more than 3-5mph of wind. That'll let you get in to tight spots (In Vegas, landing in a cul-de-sac wasn't uncommon.) With wide open landing areas, landing speed shouldn't be an issue. I've landed at 25+ knots, you just need the room to drag out. If you were there in the morning, the general rule of thumb is that the winds will increase, so you'll be landing faster than you took off.

The wet field is also an issue. Balloons don't necessarily know where they're going, so they need to be chased by a vehicle. If the landing areas are wet, you can't drive in to them, which means carrying out the balloon by hand.

Being a festival is probably a big factor too. Festivals will include many pilots of varying skill and experience. A festival usually puts all control in to one (experienced, usually local) organizer, called a balloonmeister. They make the call whether there will be a flight or not. A good balloonmeister knows that calling a flight on in iffy conditions is going to put some people in danger.

Fragile isn't the right word for balloons. I've landed harder, and hit things that would completely destroy any other aircraft. I intentionally hit trees daily (Brush through them with the basket).

Sensitive might be a better word? We're a lot more effected by any change in conditions, compared to other aircraft. For example, I was flying in Orlando not too long ago, and if the wind changed 5 degrees and/or 3kt, I was in major trouble. SW Orlando has very, very few places to land, and the rest is either Disney (which has a TFR over it and an army of lawyers) or swamp (gator-infested, huge, balloon destroying trees). So if my direction and/or speed changes, I might miss my only landing site because of it.

A balloon pilot's only control is vertically. We have no way of turning left or right, unless the wind at a different altitude is going that way. Some mornings I can go in any direction, even landing back at my launch site. Some evenings there is absolutely no change in wind direction for thousands of feet of altitude, so I'm just going straight ahead and trying to find somewhere safe. Navigating a balloon is very much an art, and while you can get a balloon licence in a short time, it takes years and a whole lot of experience to be able to get where you want to go.

Unrewarding isn't true at all. Imagine the feeling of taking off, flying 20 miles, and landing within 5 yards of where you wanted to be an hour ago, using only the feel of the wind to get you there. No steering wheel, no directional control, just the seat of your pants. You really feel in tune with the world (Or that you've bent nature to your will). I've flown everything except a blimp, and there's nothing else like a good balloon flight.

For a lot of balloon pilots, it's no hobby. I'm a professional, commercial balloon pilot. I've been offered and taken jobs on almost every continent. I'm well compensated for it too. I've never flown for just fun.

I highly recommend going for a balloon flight when you get a chance. If anyone has any questions about balloons, I can answer them.

Epic-level unexpected content posting.

I figure there are probably more professional (US/Canada) football players than there are commercial balloon pilots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mods, can I get namechanged to "Aggressive Balloon Maneuver?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

ATC: I know you're in a CJ2, but I need 300 in the climb.

Me::lol::lol::lol:

My favorite is the WestJet 737-600 pulling back to 230kts 100nm from the airport without telling me, and Southwest is ten in trail with the throttles buried somewhere forward of the weather radar.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

...an airplane with no less than 10 MELs...

My record was 14, including two of three thrust reversers (no reverse thrust allowed, the operational T/R was a wing engine,) an inop APU, which meant no air conditioning on the ground in the tropics, an open APU exhaust door that imposed a 270kias restriction on the airplane for a 2500nm+ roundtrip flight, and the lav dump valve handle was broken, so the blackwater tank still had stuff in it from the previous flight. The chief pilot had to get involved in the go/no-go decision, because the crew really, really, REALLY didn't want to accept the airplane.

I wonder why. :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've used it on a regular iPad, and an iPad mini. I kinda prefer the full-size, but honestly, the mini is a lot easier to deal with in the cockpit of a small GA aircraft. If you're flying something bigger, it's waaaay less of an issue.

I've also used it on my iPhone 6/7 plus, which isn't bad in a pinch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flight schools having websites is like, a luxury.

Also, ya, those wet prices ain't bad.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oil analysis for an aircraft engine is absolutely loving crucial. Cheap, too, in the long run.

Putting the results in a simple graph (if the analysis company doesn't already do it for you,) can wave a giant red flag at you, telling you something is wrong.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Who are you guys using for oil analysis? Blackstone?

I use Blackstone for my Z06. They're one of the best for non-fleet accounts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Related, it's a slow-assed day in the office so I'm watching the Gemini DC-10 World Air Routes DVD on my MFD right monitor while doing actual work on the PFD left monitor. It's tangentially work-related, so :shrug:.

:gbsmith:

The captain that narrates the first bit of that, I can't recall his name, he was a genuine first-rate-duder. My favorite flight-crew in the entire airline.

Did you catch the tail number in the video? The last time I saw it was 2008.

Edit:

The Ferret King posted:

Goon ATC is everywhere

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is one of the better videos JustPlanes did. The captain in the left seat was Steve Ricks. The one in the right seat (Italian guy; there was no F/O on the trip) was Chris something.

N606GC.

Ya, not Steve Ricks; gently caress that guy. Chris is amazing.

606 was one of our ex-Lufthansa airplanes. It was a relatively tame airplane, and didn't have any of the really weird issues that say, 607 or 602 had. 606 spent most of its time in Europe on DHL contracts to Africa for that reason: You don't want to be broken in Lagos.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

It's so weird to think that, at every level of aviation, there's always That Plane that has weird loving issues and you just don't like flying.

There are certain planes that just don't like flying, even. They just break. Every. loving. Time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Never not post bush pilot stories.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i am kiss u now posted:

Dat Trump golf TFR. "Get hosed GA." -sincerely, The Donald.

All presidential TFRs are a giant middle finger to GA. Ask Hawaiian GA businesses what it was like when Obama was visiting home.

Presidential TFRs shouldn't loving exist. He's not that important.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Of all the things the FAA keeps track of, I would have thought checkrides or certificates issued under 61 and 141 would have been one of them.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hey pilots, particularly 121/135 guys: How often do you guy go listen to Airmets/Sigmets/Convective Sigmets after a controller reads the notification on frequency?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

Literally never

I kinda figured. We just got a pretty amusing briefing item about the extreme turbulence event a few days ago, and it hits the FAA management favorites: Incident aircraft didn't hear the Airmets being issued, controller didn't solicit/disseminate pireps, etc etc.. All the normal box checking to make sure they don't get sued (as much,) but with very little to no actual effort to actually solve the problem.

I only ask because our facility is on a "did you call the weather/ask for pireps" crusade, which is amusing since I can't remember the last time I wasn't pointing airplanes at four mile gaps between extreme cells. It's related to a change in our duty priority; We are now obligated to issue weather information at the same priority as separation of aircraft.

FAA management is silent on the topic of exactly how we're supposed to do that when it gets busy, however.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Pilot posted:

Say again

This is not an empty quote.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

NextGen will eliminate that

Metroplex, too.

:ironicat:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Sounds about right. Flying into the side of a fully developed thunderstorm generally ends with the same result as flying into the side of another airplane.

We're not required to keep you out of the weather (any more than we were before,) we're obligated to issue the weather, even when you're loving staring at it, just asked me for deviations around it, and we have seventeen other things to do. Its idiotic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hjp766 posted:

Please heaven put HIWAS on CPDLC. Please, pretty please. Then we might actually bother with it.

Woefully related: Our TMU refuses to accept PIREPS through our information display (ERID) because the computer in TMU that receives them doesn't have speakers, and doesn't make a noise to let them know there is a PIREP.

Therefore, PIREPs have to be handwritten, and then hand delivered to TMU.

We have an all-hands briefing this week because management cannot figure out why we aren't soliciting more PIREPs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

I flew in 30G45 at Yuma once. Just take it all on the nose and you'll be fine. Trying to loving taxi was the hard part.

gently caress that. Park it into the wind on the run-up apron and wait it out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

On one hand, I'm a GA guy at heart, and I don't want to gently caress up anyone's ability to go flying.

On the other, we don't let cars with no turn signals, headlights, windshield, or brake lights on the road, either. Maybe we shouldn't still be catering to the height of 1925 aviation technology.

It's a conundrum.

We get at least one guy a day that happens to be talking to us and misses traffic by less than a mile at the same altitude, because we called it to him. That means there's at least one other guy out there that pooped himself when he was suddenly confronted with close-in traffic he never saw coming. Have ADS-B traffic if you can, have a radio, get flight following whenever it's practical.

Use the tools available to you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just file direct and let ATC amend your clearance.

:ironicat:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd love to hear input from a controller that actually deals with MEAs and such. MEAs in ZMA airspace are ENTIRELY 3000ft, and the MVA is between 2 and 3k, mostly (98%) 2. :v:

My partially-educated-but-probably-wrong thought would be if you filed SLK direct RIGID, you'd avoid the MEA requirement for the airway, since you're then RNAV, instead of of radio nav.

:shrug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sanchez posted:

I learned on 3000x75, I'm sure the guys at the school up the road with 2400x40 have better approach habits than me, centerline discipline gets really important...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNSQytGrao

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I swear, if I can find the next pilot that calls field in sight, or reports the IF/IAF for an approach, waits for me to puke the incredibly elaborate approach clearance/radar service termination/closure of flight plan/frequency change phraseology all over my frequency, and then IMMEDIATELY requests to cancel IFR, I’m going to hunt him down and piss in his mouth.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s worth noting that New York has a state income tax, which is a rarity in the south, and New York City also has a municipal income tax. Random internet search shows an additional 8% combined tax hike for a single individual with a $60k gross income. About 5% if you live in the state, but outside of NYC.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

My idiot state has income tax too, along with high property taxes for my car with fees for inspections and tag.

I’m employed and not looking to move tomorrow or anything, but I’d like to live there a bit before I get too old to enjoy it.

Whaaaaa. That’s not the south, imposter.

I think the line is “Live in New York once, but leave, before it makes you hard.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

On the flip side, it’s doable to work out of MIA, but live in Fort Lauderdale, which isn’t NEARLY the clowncar of failure that Miami is. TriRail/Metrorail goes directly to MIA.

I’d still vote for somewhere else, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

You can get around paying taxes in NYC as a pilot if you do your due diligence. If you are NYC based, just rent a room as your crashpad. Keep wherever your real home is as your residence, keep that state's drivers license, and try to keep a paper trail. So if its your parents house, pay for their water bill or whatever. In order to be considered a resident of NYC you have to be there for 90 consecutive days, and as a pilot you will not do that. Get an aviation accountant and you are set. Perfectly legal, you just work in NYC but that's not "home". As long as you don't stay there for many years and do something stupid like starting a family there, you will be fine.

Aviation Megathread: As long as you don’t stay somewhere for many years and do something stupid like starting a family, you’ll be fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s like a window into a failed marriage.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

One of my crew-mates had a 172 declare an emergency earlier, engine not making power. After a bit of fiddling, he got it to come back to about 1900rpm, but no more: stuck throttle cable. He cruised around for awhile at barely 70kts, and could only maintain ~600ft with my friend trying to get him to find any of the grass strips (the only one he got eyes on is abandoned, and the pilot decided to press on for something a bit less Deliverance) out in the depths of Florida, and eventually made it into Placid Lakes uneventfully.

A couple minutes in, this guy offers to help out, and got down to two thousand feet and did circles around the guy, keeping an eye on him and relaying for us when we couldn’t hear him responding to us.

Someone buy those guys a beer if you run into them. :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Which Island? Training part 61 might actually be a better route to paying jobs if you already have friends/contacts in the area. Also, a cursory search tells me that on Oahu at least, aircraft rental is really not that much more than it is on the mainland. I figured it'd be like 50% more. Not so, apparently.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whenever a Vision Jet checks in, I have resolved myself to refer to it as “Cirrus Two Four One Bravo Juliet,” instead of “Vision Jet Two Four One Bravo Juliet.”

I am a petty motherfucker, but that’s what you get for making me vector King Airs around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butt Reactor posted:

:golfclap: Seriously though is the performance pretty limited on cirrus jets?

Ceiling is 28,000ft, though I’m not sure if that’s the actual service ceiling, or if they just don’t plan to get them RVSM certified.

They’re slower and climb worse than an Eclipse, which is saying something.