Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
New thread update for OP

= Europe (UK/DE) - EASA ATPL B757/767 IR, A320 IR, SEP (Airline SFO)

Please add A330/A350 IR (I love common type ratings :D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

It'd be nice if Mirabel finally got to relinquish the title of "largest, dumbest airport built in the middle of loving nowhere for no discernible reason."

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Real_Central_Airport

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

EvilJoven posted:

Ever try to do a landing in a high crosswind have your lift drop off right at the flare and then pick right up and blow you off the runway after plopping you down right of the centerline so you hit a runway light and leave a golf ball sized sent in the flap and then have to sit there in the grass waiting for a tow back on to the runway?

Because I have :smith:

Still not a total gently caress-up

At least it was a runway - and you didn't have passengers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NG-airport.html

NB There but for the Grace of God go I
NB 2 The taxiways in that part of the world are marked as Back-Up runways... most are still labelled L/R even though one is a taxiway
NB 3 on a check flight I landed at an airport non-radio because we managed to lose the frequency- had to go around as a microlight decided to join straight on top of us - and yes I know the law but... I'd rather be late than dead on time

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

azflyboy posted:

So far, every time I've gone around has been due to the airplane ahead of me deciding that "Maintain 170 'till FINKA" is just too complicated to follow.

Remember we all have different SOPs - we have to be on Landing Speed, Configured and engines spooled up before 1000ft, also we have to be gear down by no later than 2000ft (all AGL, if radio is later we can "risk it" but that gets a tea no biscuits meeting)... Finally, other than in a stonking headwind we pretty much have to start reducing/configuring by 7/8 miles or we will not be stable - so we pretty much have to go gently caress everything and slow down. There is a rumour we may end up being changed to being stable by 1500 ft in which case every approach will be fully configured. In fact, last time in Vegas empty we had an approach speed of 120 and had to start reducing at 8 miles as the only way to get in... SouthWest reacted strongly on air to this information...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Then don't accept the speed and not actually do it.

That's what we find funny... we do tell ATC... who don't mind... other pilots do! (Or don't bother to listen)

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Getting performance tomorrow to get home might be fun - 42C forecast and when we checked the numbers on the way in we might just reach Shannon.... Hmmm

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Hey pilots, particularly 121/135 guys: How often do you guy go listen to Airmets/Sigmets/Convective Sigmets after a controller reads the notification on frequency?

Once... in ten years... If there's that much crap going on then there's too much time to waste with someone being isolated for 5 minutes of drivel with 30 seconds of nugget spoken at unintelligible excessive speed... if it ain't available over ACARS/CPDLC then hell we ain't going to read it as it won't be in intelligible easy to read (and quick to read) format.. Weather radar, MkI Eyeball and terminal updates win.

You only do it once because, lets face it, Florida in the summer is just a gently caress up.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

That action which is most important from a safety standpoint is preformed first.

Sorry, I cannot resist... I assume it's preformed into a plane shaped hole?
I'll get me coat

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

New gig?

CPDLC is indeed the poo poo but thats offset by how lame HF is when you have to use it.

Please heaven put HIWAS on CPDLC. Please, pretty please. Then we might actually bother with it.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 19, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

i am kiss u now posted:

How about the lovely part of NY like SYR? We can get dinosaur BBQ and uh, see a polluted lake? I'd come down but gently caress my rear end if I'd fly a GA aircraft into any of those airports. That plus the TFRs make it nearly impossible to get anywhere close. I've been flying a lot for fun lately and every once in a while the thought crosses my mind again of doing it for a career. Please talk out of even dreaming about it again.

I'll try and nick the next clear day JFK I see...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

I'll be there and off duty on Saturday.

Just collected a JFK night stop on Saturday October 7...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Slaughter posted:

Hmm, my windiest... landed my little Embraer in like 38G48kts in Vegas. Vref + 20 gave me something like 165 kts... and my perfect crosswind technique made the news cuz a celebrity was onboard: http://extratv.com/2017/03/31/jessica-chastain-thought-she-was-going-to-die-during-scary-plane-landing/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46HVle8ReXo
Also, I had the FOQA team look and they said the landing barely registered as far as G loading and both mains registered WoW pretty drat shortly after one another. It wasn't really that eventful at the time but when I had googled Jessica Chastain because the FAs told me she was onboard, I saw those interviews and started cracking up laughing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-14906539/plane-bounces-on-leeds-runway-in-strong-winds

News eh? Pubbies eh? Wasn't the windiest, but the one on a quiet news day

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Rekinom posted:

I know this is #firstworldproblems, but I'm really looking forward to the day when I can be a widebody pilot.

Do you value your sanity, social life and sleeping patterns... Thought Not :zombie:

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
320 passed for another year - shame I haven't flown it since January and am not rostered to fly it for at least another 2 months :rant: back to the 330 I go

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

I'm down on the second week of November

Saturday 28th October if anynone is near JFK

In the Marriott Courtyard Long Island...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

I'm around but there are 3 Marriott Courtyards on Long Island. lol

Thank god the driver knows....

29-15 Queens Plaza North
Long Island NY 11101

Also surprised myself by how fast I stopped the drat thing with a tailwind onto 31R the other week

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Give me a green card a load of cash and something cool to fly and I'll come fly for you America! You can even let guys take potshots at me occasionally.

I approve this message

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

Sorry guys, won't make the NYC goon meet. I got a trip on Saturday.

Will be in the long island city alewife later. Next up is GOI on 27 November.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

LOL at regional FO’s making more than a widebody FO in certain airlines who sue their pilot group so they can stall and delay contract negotiations

I had my first “bad” landing in a 767, firm enough that two oxygen masks dropped. It was a complete surprise as speed and flare were on point and I have only had awesome ego boosting landings for the past two years. But going into the NAP airport is a steep approach into a sloping runway, with a heavy jet downward momentum is a bitch. Next time I fly there I’ll add an extra 5kts to VRef and shallow it out before the flare.

Examiners note: Only 2 masks dropped. Poor effort. Must try harder.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Scratch Monkey posted:

what sort of plane is this?
Big enough...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

e.pilot posted:

I’ll give you my 500fpm climb at whatever speed that gives me and you’re going to like it. :colbert:

Yes I'm late, but that is the definition of our non-winglet A321s...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

Our school has a Redbird and I want to do all of the above in it. Here I was thinking the most fun you could have in it was the "land on the carrier" game. (Sober, of course.)

May I also submit for your consideration flying under London Bridge in progressively larger aircraft? Protip: the 737-400/-800 doesn't work.

Both 767 and 330-300 fit under Gatwick...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

I was a stupid kid who cares about brands over functionality until I got an iPad for foreflight like 7 years ago. Now everything I have for is Apple because it works.

In general I am a windows man except for tablets where it is iPad all the way... Gaming purposes mainly. But figure this. Microsoft windows phone which actually works (Nokia Lumia) they bought out and stopped production of it. Battery life about 3 times that of iphone... Lifesaver on Cuban layovers!

Back to a brick I go for battery life when this dies.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Approaching maximum irony. Possibly irony overload. More seriously, congrats and don't die.

Content: I overrode our supervisor and TMU yesterday and closed the only remaining open departure gate out of FLL/MIA because we had a Challenger pilot come over requesting higher, reporting "a very poor ride, at least continuous moderate," that sounded exactly like he was flying around in a UH-1. I've never heard a fixed-wing pilot getting the poo poo kicked out of him that badly.

To the flight crew of that Challenger: Sorry my TMU tried to loving kill you.

The only time I had to change level for turbulence was 2 weeks ago... diving a 330 to get the hell out of dodge is fun. Funny old thing, once a European pilot did that everybody starting being kept clear. And a sigmet appeared... but what the hell, people still tried to go to the bog in the middle of it, plus despite the pa that effectively tells everyone to sit down strap in and hold on the cabin crew still tried to do a service in the middle of that poo poo.... couldn't even see the damned instruments my eyeballs were bouncing so hard. Remember mantra, turn pull, turn pull.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Summer thunderstorms in south Florida are a surprise to TMU, every time.

How???

Although had a first the other day... Orlando didn't try and put us visual coming in from Cuba. On the other hand being asked to confirm if the windshear was still there at c. 200ft on approach... why go to Florida for a sunshine holiday? Just take a drat brolly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
I am back working again after my previously employer spectacularly went under back on 23rd September.

In a long update to currency.

SEP, A330/350 (IR) Still SFO but LHS checked (i.e Cruise Captain)

Thanks to the B word now Luxembourg Licence but working in Milano (Italian lunches are bad for your medical)