Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simble
May 11, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Mods, can I get namechanged to "Aggressive Balloon Maneuver?"

Obviously the only name change here is to "Balloonmeister"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

I built and use a stratux regularly. Get a case with a fan and excellent ventilation. It will overheat in a small airplane. I was using an external usb gps but it’s a pain to handle with it’s cord. So I just use my old bad elf for location and the stratux for ads-b in.

simble
May 11, 2004

I've had Lightspeed Sierras for 6 years. They have good ANR and aren't overly heavy. Also their customer support is great.

simble
May 11, 2004

Rolo posted:

Yeah it has its ups and downs

As long as your number of ups equals your number of downs.

simble
May 11, 2004

helno posted:

FS210
GPSS

These might be the 2 best quality of life improvements in GA right now.

All of those are real solid upgrades though.

simble
May 11, 2004

I love shaming people who are trying to learn.

simble
May 11, 2004

There's obviously a difference between dunning kruger idiots and students.

Shaming a student on internet forums won't prevent them from getting killed.

simble
May 11, 2004

greasyhands posted:

How big of a weenie are you that showing a student common pitfalls that lead to major mistakes via scenario training in a simulator is "shaming"? That's how people learn and remember things, particularly when they are showing patterns of negative behaviors. Fuckin millennials, man.

What? I can't even.... I love me some unwarranted personal attacks!

These here public forums are not a simulator. Sure, show the student what they hosed up in the simulator, teach them, great, I'm all for that. Shame the rear end hole "rusty pilots" who don't want to learn. Just don't be a dick to the people who are actively trying to learn. Jesus loving christ.... goons are still the worst.

My assumption here is that the word student does in fact mean that they want to learn when they gently caress up.

simble
May 11, 2004

To change the subject - Anyone going to AirVenture in a few weeks? Anyone have any must sees/dos?

simble
May 11, 2004

We planned on flying in but airplane issues mean we’ll have to road trip it and camp in Camp Scholler.

simble
May 11, 2004

Rolo posted:

Anyone know where I can find one of those minimalist tube earpiece headsets? Our plane has a set and they’re awesome for long legs, but I want my own pair now and every brand I know of is discontinued.

Look up Quiet Technologies halos. I tried some today at their booth at AirVenture and they seem pretty good. Some other goons also like them a lot.

simble
May 11, 2004

After visiting Airventure I gotta say that PPC looks interesting as heck. Easy storage and easy transport to the airport.

PPG looks more fun but a bit uncomfortable.

simble
May 11, 2004

PPCs that aren’t part 103 ultralights are LSAs. If you’re medical lapses (and isn’t revoked) I’m pretty sure your PPL becomes a LSA license. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I just read this in the PPC flying handbook.

simble
May 11, 2004

The first thing that comes to mind is that you need an endorsement from a CFI before taking the knowledge test.

You can study up, do some practice tests, start your training, then take the test.

simble
May 11, 2004

Sorry about your leg.

simble
May 11, 2004

Pressure or density altitude? One begets the other.

simble
May 11, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

What the altimeter reads when set to QNH (is that indicated or true?)

It is true (altitude MSL) but is also indicated because that’s what your altimeter says. Pressure would be when your altimeter is set to 29.92 mmHg or 1013 hPa and density is pressure altitude corrected for temperature.

simble
May 11, 2004

True altitude is altitude msl. Absolute altitude is AGL. Go back to flight instructor school scrub.

simble
May 11, 2004

I still think you're wrong. QNH is literally atmospheric pressure adjusted to mean sea level. By your logic, the same thing would be true at higher than standard temperatures, but it isn't. That affects density altitude, not true altitude. Quote your source.

Edit: Found a source. We both win (after your correction). It's basically isobars with altitude and the fact that it's determined at airfield elevation and it's definitely more important in cold rather than hot.

simble fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 6, 2019

simble
May 11, 2004

:getin: to that airport

simble
May 11, 2004

To be fair, they're probably new on frequency and don't actually know that the last half dozen asked. They could probably assume it though.

simble
May 11, 2004

The reality is you check in as soon as you hear a break with no obvious readback coming. They also are not occupying the same space or route as the other aircraft, generally.

simble
May 11, 2004

You should also look into the EAA’s young eagles program. No need to pay for a discovery flight when there are literally 1000s of volunteers who will take him flying. There’s rally’s scheduled all over the country all of the time, but our chapter and a lot of others do non-rally flights all the time. We also have a ton of repeat kids at every rally.

The only caveat is the minimum age is 8 so he’ll have to wait awhile.

simble
May 11, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've had worse Monday mornings...

I thought new flight sim didn't have helicopters yet...

simble
May 11, 2004

If you enjoy your head not sweating (as much) and don't mind in ear, consider the QT Halos. They rule and are very affordable. I switched from some Lightspeed Sierras (ANR) to them and have absolutely no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

Socal traffic sucks man.