Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

i am kiss u now posted:

Cool, a new thread. Congrats on the bus.

AWSEFT, who'd you get on with? Frontier? I start year eight in the 7X on June 1. As such, I'm ruined for conventional aircraft for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

I feel like areas with really bad noise complaint issues need to have annual Lear 23/707-120 flybys, to remind them of the bad old days.

I grew up about eight miles south of O'Hare and vividly remember DC-8's and 707's (and Convair 880's :rms:) flying over at about 5-6000 ft and all conversation ceased. Seriously, you couldn't yell over it. Brutally loud.

I'd love to see a Convair 880 low pass today. Four black smoke trails and loud enough that it can split molecules.

gently caress yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxi8V99614

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Is there an updated list of low-average-high corporate jet salaries? Like this but not 5 years old:

http://www.safetystanddown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Salary-study-6-12-lyt_June.pdf

I got a type, moved into the left seat, am acting as PIC and I've been at my company just over a year. I'm thinking of asking for a bump.

You can use this, but hold your nose while you do. This year's Pro Pilot survey is reportedly about 15-20% low - at least in large-cabin jets. I personally know half a dozen pilots who submitted their salaries for this year's survey and the magazine left their submissions out of the results. I know my 7X pay is 13% higher than the top pay listed, but I loving hate Murray Smith and Pro Pilot magazine with a passion so I don't participate anymore.

Use your network to figure out how much your peers are being paid. The Stanton and NBAA surveys aren't much more accurate these days, as corporate pilot salaries are going up about 7-15% per year - depending on size and location. I left my last job for a big pay bump, but the new gig was extremely NOT a good fit. I was heavily recruited by the place I had left and just went back last week for about 50 large more than I was making there four months ago.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Any objections to me straight up dropping numbers here, or is it not good thread etiquette? I absolutely don't want to go to any aviation forum.

Fine with me. What are you flying, where is the job located and what kind of experience do you have?

If you're flying pt 135 (I think I remember that you are), upward pressure on salaries is delayed compared to pt 91 positions. Seriously, the only effective upward salary pressure I've seen in pt 135 comes when people leave and can't be replaced. In pt 91, if the boss likes you and is comfortable with your presence you can usually negotiate about a 10% increase per year.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

This article warms my cold, black, trade-unionist heart.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

It's a part 91 operation in the SE USA. Quality of life is good, management is both very cool and professional, but the cost of living here is very high. I'm PIC type rated in a CJ2 as of 2 weeks ago (:toot:) and I've been there 13 months.

The only negative kicker going against me is that I only have about 1400 total flight time, 900 being turbojet because I spent a year working for flight safety, racking up 500+ hours in a level D sim, so I got into jets early and I'm left seating now. I'm making 50k.

50k seems awfully low. Your level of experience and recent type (which I hope the company paid for) isn't going to offer you much leverage, but you should be able to draw at least 70k. Like I said, the PP salary survey skews abnormally low and their average pay for your type is 72k. Are you single pilot in the CJ2? That's a plus. Are you in a high-cost area that isn't south of Orlando? That's a plus. Did you power straight through your type training without issue? That's a plus.

Conversely, are you based in Miami? That's a minus. Are the rest of the pilots at your company equally underpaid? That's a minus.

If you answer directly to the principal, I'd put together a package with a couple of the big pilot compensation survey numbers for your position (you can probably find a fairly recent NBAA survey using Google-Fu) and some government or well respected website cost of living data for your metropolitan area. Express to him/her how much you like working for him/her and want to make a long term commitment to the company, but you're choking on the local cost of living and the company's modest pay. Ask to at least be brought up to the PP average.The worst that can happen is that they say no... well, actually they could get pissed and fire you the next day. If you are valued by them, though, that won't happen.

If you report to a Chief Pilot or Lead, the layer of insulation from the person who approves raises is somewhat problematic. One useful bit of leverage in situations like these is reminding the CP that if pay for the underlings goes up, their pay should go up as well. This is only useful if your CP isn't one of the South Florida aviation losers who measures his value by how many pennies he saves for a billionaire... at the expense of everything else.

As in any negotiation, the ultimate leverage is the willingness to walk away from the deal. If I were you I'd casually keep an eye on other, like positions at outfits in your area and be willing to consider leaving your current job to get your pay up to where it should be. There is exactly zero downward pressure on pt 91 salaries these days and a huge pilot shortage is going to explode in the next couple of years. If the pay is really important to you, I'd be willing to walk. If you aren't willing to do this (not being critical, really), use the time before the pt 91 pilot-supply apocalypse to punch up your resume. Get the ATP. Finish your degree if you don't have one. Get a Masters degree, especially if your company will pay for it. Get 1000 PIC turbine, pronto. Network like your career depended on it - it does. Meet other pilots in your area and areas where you might want to relocate to. Be active on responsible pilot forums (I recommend Pro Pilot World - well worth 15 bucks a year or whatever Mark is charging these days). Access NBAA and get on their AirMail job notification service. Register with Jet Professionals (Jet Aviation), EJM and maybe Solairus with your qualifications.

I don't know if you have a family yet or not, but remember that your loyalty is primarily to them, not the company that uses your labor. If you're single, move to where the best paying jobs are - get paid, gently caress bitches, save like a MF for retirement.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

We actually fired our Q400 fleet manager about 18 months ago, and then re-hired him once someone realized "oh crap, he's gonna start writing manuals for the E175" if he got cut loose from making the Q400 procedures ever more complex.

WTF is it with Dash 8 training managers? When I was at Allegheny, the training manager seagull (had to throw rocks at him to get him to fly) tried to make the DHC-8 program as hosed up as he had made the B-1900 program. Seriously, like how many rivets are there in the leading edge, draw the fuel system from memory, etc. It was certainly more complex than the Shorts 360 I was transitioning from, but come on. The FO orals were usually about three hours long, which is 150% longer than my type oral in the 737 a few years later.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

This was just our fleet manager. We fired the director of training a few months ago after he got DUI #3.

How many DUI's does the Fleet Manager have? Gotta keep the resume up to date.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rickety Cricket posted:

OP update - ATP ERJ170/190 KLGA !! I guess I'm an airline pilot now!

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Very cool, congrats!

KodiakRS posted:

Reserve and captain pay at my regional are so bad that most of our senior FOs don't want to bother with the upgrade. The company recently put out a notice saying that if they don't get enough volunteers to upgrade that they're going to have to displace FOs out of the right seat into becoming captains.

This is honestly the most hosed up thing I have heard about regional airlines and I worked for three back in the 90's. Junior manned into the left seat - what a cocked up situation.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

SeaborneClink posted:

Does going from Mid/Senior FO to Jr Captain mean a big paycut? My novice understanding of similar payscales was that there would be some overlap at the top FO and lowest captain but apparently not? It's a kick in the dick to have to sit in the left seat, just a massive increase in responsibility but negligible compensation increase?

As Kodiak said, it's not necessarily the pay (though as a Captain on bottom-of-the-barrel reserve you lose all the FO teaser pay) but the horrible erosion in the quality of life. You can go from 17-18 days off with weekends free to sitting reserve in an outstation with 11-12 days off... probably covering FO trips with more senior Captains.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

I have a reg question for the reg pros:

For about a year, I’d been flying part 91 in a Citation with a captain that has a PIC single-pilot add-on, technically meaning he can fly the airplane single pilot, even though we don’t do it as a company. All I had for the year was an SIC type, but I did have the SIC type the whole time.

Technically speaking, can I log the year’s time as SIC time? Or even total flight time? I’m starting to tally my time because I’m very close to my ATP, and while reading the regs I started getting nervous that this might come up while looking at the time requirements, because the regs say I can log SIC time as time where a second crew member was required, and I very technically was not, outside of company policy and insurance requirements.

(FAR)

(From the TCDS)

Basic question is: even though he has a single pilot add-on for a plane that can be crew or SP, can he elect to legally fly it as a crew? I’m assuming I’m good but I want to know for certain before I start scheduling training.

You should be OK logging this as SIC, but when you get close to the PIC mins at random airlines avoid the impulse to log sole-manipulator CJ time flown as PIC. The airlines are REALLY anal about pt 1 vs pt 61 PIC time and any of the logbook checkers at SWA or United will ferret this out in a New York minute.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost
Jesus, don’t commute if you don’t have to. Seriously. You’re going to need a car no matter where you’re based, unless you’re based at one single NYC airport. Maybe, maybe, you could live around MIA along one of the rail lines, but it’s going to suck without a car. Philly? Forget it. Getting to the airport from anywhere but center city on the train is a nightmare.

With a car you could live somewhere decent near Miami and not spend too much money. Hear there’s going to be space in a hostel in Florida City pretty soon.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

First Officer is pilot flying, weather is at minimums. They are expecting to see the runway at minimums. At minimums they see the runway and the first officer disangages the autopilot but at the same time he presses the toga buttons. Captain takes over and lowers the nose and retards both thrust levers to idle, they land at idle thrust and aircraft was dispatched with one reverser inop. The captain deploys the thrust reverser of the left engine and releases the right engine. Since he hadn't disconnect the auto throttle right engine goes to TOGA thrust. Aircraft starts to accelerate and skids off the runway from the left. Right engine saparates. All passengers evacuate the aircraft from the rear door. No smoke in the cabin no injuries.

No. loving. Way. I just had a day of largely-self-induced aviation shame and humiliation, but that there is hosed up.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

The above is just some guy's supposition on PPRUNE.

Ok, I should have clicked the link. :effort: I guess I'll wait for the definitive conclusion from AvHerald.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Got up at 5am for a flight this morning that went well, time to sit back and relax in the lounge for a couple hours.

Oh no wait NetJets is here, here’s to several hours of loud as poo poo Fox and Friends.

I don't spend much time in pilot lounges any more, but every time I do there are NetJets pilots sitting in all the chairs in front of the computers talking to each other while some internet bitch board screen refreshes occasionally. Or one is talking loudly into a bluetooth headset in the snooze room. I nap on the plane these days, no matter how horrible the weather is outside.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Usually.

shame on an IGA posted:

If you worked for an airline you might have been exposed to an empowered safety culture and can't be trusted not to upset the delicate stucture of civilization by saying 'no' to an overlord.

Yeah, this.

My resume to my current job initially got poo poo-canned because the Chief Pilot saw I had airline jobs listed leading up to nine years earlier. Ignoring that I had nine years of corporate experience flying all over the world in BBJ's, G4's and THE loving AIRCRAFT THEY WERE TAKING DELIVERY OF IN TWO MONTHS. Because I had airline experience... including the airline the Chief Pilot had flown for years before. :suicide:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nuggan posted:

Had my first experience with how fast weather can sneak up on you yesterday.

I rented the plane for a few hours to take a friend up and get some practice in, but when we got to the airport it was raining. I figured we'd just sit around and wait it out, and sure enough after about 30 minutes there was a beautiful clear sky to see the sun hanging low and everything shining gold on the ground. We go up in what is practically perfect weather, not even a breeze, and get about 20 minutes of sightseeing in the local area when I notice some low clouds forming directly over my home airport.

I immediately turn to head back, but by the time I get close there is a thick cover of clouds at ~500 feet over the entire area. I debated waiting a bit to see if they would blow over, but given how fast they came in I decided to immediately divert to the executive airport downtown and land before any other bad weather surprises me. After a quick scramble to look up frequencies and punch it into the gps I made it over there and pulled off one of the smoothest landings I've ever done.

Now I'm just feeling dumb for going up after the rain like that, and am hoping the weather clears up at some point today so that I can get the plane home. :/

Eh, poo poo happens and you learn from it. The best thing you did was evaluate the deteriorating situation, make a good judgment call and get the aircraft back on the ground without a violation or breaking things. It may be a corny meme, but the one that says 'good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment' is an accurate one. Put this experience in your judgement generator and don't forget it.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

dexter6 posted:

Hi everyone I got my PPL today. Took me two years (with 7 months off until 2 weeks ago) and 86 hours.

STILL COUNTS

Congrats!

You know what they call the guy who finishes last in his Med School class? Doctor.

You know what they call the guy that passed his PVT with 86 hours? Pilot.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

xaarman posted:

Any reason I shouldn't buy the LuggageWorks Stealth Air and some overpriced attachable bag this week? Seems to be the standard crew luggage, but man... $299 + $59-99 for an accessory is a hard pill to swallow.

I still have and occasionally use the PNTco (predecessor to Luggageworks) bag I bought in 1996. I've put new zippers, wheels and handles on it but it still works like a champ.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

Without defending United, it was a French Bulldog, which are so inbred that they have serious trouble regulating their own temperature or even breathing when they get stressed. Even with sufficient airflow, it's distinctly possible that the stress of being in a loud, noisy, dark place panicked the dog to the point where it essentially suffocated itself.

It really doesn't help United that it was one of their flight attendants who demanded the dog go in the overhead, since the airline already has a reputation for beating up passengers that don't comply with crewmember instructions, so the flying public sees this as "kill the dog or we beat you up".

There's plenty of stupid to go around with this incident. The FA claims that they didn't know there was a dog in the bag - bullshit. The passenger should also get a beating for trying to travel (probably on a Basic Economy fare that guarantees being in the last boarding group and saves about :10bux: per seat) with a child, an infant (with all the related infant equipment) and a French Bulldog puppy that - as related in AZ's quote - can barely sustain life under perfect conditions. WTF?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

They charged her $120 for the in cabin dog so I'm not so sure what the basic economy fare has to do with it. Infant in arms is also an extra charge isn't it?

I'm pretty sure lap kiddies don't cost anything, but I could be wrong. Still, the gobs of bullshit incumbent upon traveling with an infant means that the space in front of the older kid would probably be taken up with diaper bags and other paraphernalia.

United very, very recently got rid of it's Basic Economy fare, which saves pax a few bucks, but puts them in the last boarding group (which means overhead and underseat space is guaranteed to be nearly gone on a full flight), restricts them to using underseat space - only, and basically - gently caress you. Some of the underseat spaces on UAL 737's are VERY restricted due to cabin entertainment boxes (mostly old Continental birds) and a FAA-legal dog bag might not fit without hanging out unacceptably into the aisle or over a passenger's feet. The $120 bucks for the dog means you get to bring one on, not that you are guaranteed any consideration for doing so.

Like I said, the stupid is everywhere in this incident. If I had a dog in the loving overhead and it was crying during the flight, I'd take the poor thing down and tell the FAA to gently caress off pending the legal shitstorm at the destination.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Mothers with infants board immediately after global services don't they? So there'd be space.

Assuming they showed up early enough.

quote:

Also you're allowed a diaper bag, breast pump and child seat in addition to your normal allowance: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

The child seat is only allowed on board if they purchased a ticket for the infant. Unlikely.

The mom in question is refusing to comment to the press - unlike the hamster-flusher - which is probably wise, but I'd love to get more detail as to what happened here.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

The Pro-X earcups look like they sit on top of your ears instead of around them and I don't like headphones with that design.

I don't usually like on-ear headsets either, but I have about a thousand hours using DC Pro-X's and love them. I used to use Bose Aviation headsets (the old, gigantic ones) and they would clamp the poo poo out of my head to get good passive noise reduction. It made wearing sunglasses with them on absolutely miserable after more than 15 minutes. The DC Pro-X's don't use much clamping pressure to get a good seal.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

The best compromise is to throw every FBO television into the ocean.

The best FBO lounge troll is to set the TV to that Catholic Channel (EWTN) with Mother Angelica and hide the remote in a desk drawer somewhere while the NetJets guys are taking a collective dump.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

28 years to get a water cannon salute? I've been at my airline for 7 years and they already gave me a glycol cannon salute to celebrate the last flight of my 4 day.

lol

I want nothing more out of my probable 40-year aviation career than a loving water cannon salute on my retirement flight. My luck the airport fire department will be pretending to put out the 727 hulk on the east side of PBI when I land.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

fatman1683 posted:

You're cool, I've read plenty of 'I want to be a pilot' threads on a variety of forums over many years, and there's a shitload of wishful thinking and bad information out there. I appreciate you taking the time to verify my position relative to my rocker.

Because I want to.

A pittance, slightly more than a pittance, and yes, respectively. If you want numbers, ~30k/yr as an instructor (~1.5 years), 40k-50k as a regional FO (~2-3 years), ~70k-110k as a regional captain (~5+ years? who the gently caress knows, the flow is a lie), ~75k-90k as a legacy FO, ~100k-250k+ as a legacy captain.

Until I can hold the line I want the schedule will be poo poo, but I will absofuckinglutely be living in base. Commuting is for losers.

Enough to hand them a 50k 1960s 172, maybe enough to hand them a 75k 210, not enough to hand them a 150k Bonanza.

My kids are shits but I don't necessarily want to get away from them. My wife is in school right now, by the time I'm ready to pull this trigger she'll be out of school and between her pay and my instructor pittance we'll be breaking even with where we are now.

I've wanted to fly since I was, like, 4 years old. In 2001 I was a senior in high school, so I decided to get into tech instead. IT has been good to me, but I never really lost the bug. The place I'm at in my life now, combined with movement in the industry, makes this change more feasible now than it's ever been or probably ever going to be.

Well, uh... good luck. It sounds like you've done your homework, but realize that everybody in here has sucked hind tit to get where they are. I still have trigger anxiety from mid-career job changers in the past who had everything figured out and either missed something or had a fatal career flaw. Forgive me. I fully realize that things are completely different now versus when I got started in aviation in the early 80's, so filter your response through that lens.

Don't buy an aircraft until you're rich enough at your legacy airline job to afford one for cash. There are numerous pitfalls in owning a private aircraft to make it a dangerous proposition for someone in primary or secondary training. Especially if your progression isn't exactly as you assume.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

fatman1683 posted:

IT is similar. I started as a callcenter monkey, and it's taken me 15 years to get to where I am. I'm not afraid of grinding my way up, and I know it's going to suck.

e:

I'm not a doctor so I should be safe.

I've definitely looked at them, but I'd want an 84 or newer to get away from the crossbar yoke, and those are going for more than I'm willing to spend right now.

Ok, cool. Please keep posting ITT so I can see how hosed up my view of the profession is at this point.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Did my first for-real rejected takeoff yesterday. I called it off it when we were about ~800 feet into the roll and still only going 40 knots; turns out the right brake had gotten stuck on. As soon as we slowed down the wheel locked solid, so the plane would only go in circles and we couldn't even make it past the hold-short lines. Had to get towed off. No injuries, no damage to the plane beyond whatever was wrong with the brake, so it was all fine, but my heart was going about 140 bpm even twenty minutes later :toot:

so now I have caused an airliner to go around, which makes me feel somewhat powerful, and I've shut down a runway for 15 minutes, and for that matter I've gotten to stand on a runway without getting sent to gitmo, so that was cool

The flight school just debriefed us, was glad it wasn't worse, and said not to worry about it, but now I'm wondering -- is this the sort of thing that gets reported to the FAA? Again, no injuries or damage, but it did put the runway out of operation for a short time and delayed a scheduled airline flight so I'm curious.

Any time you're even peripherally involved in a safety-related incident you should get in the practice of submitting a NASA Report (ASRS). It helps saturate the system with data points and keeps you from certificate action unless you were a complete jackass (willful misconduct or gross negligence).

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

Well a few days ago a large Atlanta company that sells widgets told me no, to my face. Really a kick in the nuts.
Hopefully it's just meant to be so that I can get hired by some purple cargo carrier or a Chicago company that does something with globes and Star Alliances.

Did it take you five years to get your Engineering Degree?
Did you actually attend TWO?!! colleges?
Did you drop below 2000 hours of documented volunteer work in 2017?
Did you not upgrade to Captain at your previous position in less than 2.7 years?
Did only two of your space shuttle landings occur at night?
Did you divert the shuttle to Edwards? Really? Do you know how much this costs the company (NASA)? We need team players.
Are any of your unit buddies at United? How do you not have unit buddies?

Good luck with United. They (justifiably) passed on me in 1995. If I lose my current ride my comedy option is trying, again, to get hired at Uninental. At least I'd be senior in my class (and older than most of the Captains I'd fly with).

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Random blunt money question!

What would a pilot expect to be paid to be SIC only on a part 91 Falcon 50?

1500-2000 total, 1100 turbine, ATP, this’d be his third type rating and third jet.

Assume company is fair. NBAA Average?

North Florida? $85,000-105,000 these days - plus bennies. Don't sign a contract. If you have to sign a contract make sure it's only for a year, pro-rated, and there's a specific performance clause in it (they have to pay out the rest of your year unless fired for good cause).

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Carolinas, an expensive part. Nice thing is that it’s an upgrade in house, no contract, bennies guaranteed but question mark on pay so far. Should be having that discussion soon and I want to get as many points of data as possible, including strangers on Something Awful. I’ve also been with the company 2 years and have gotten a total raise of 3% even though the cost of living here has lapped that number several times over.

My experience has been that - with extremely rare exceptions - the only way to get salaries up more than 3-5% annually is for pilots to leave. I asked for a review at my job back in late 2016 and got the standard 3%. I left a few months later for a CAM gig at Solairus which turned out to be a poo poo-show for a variety of reasons. I was heavily recruited to come back to the old gig and negotiated a 25% hike over my previous salary and have been a much more happy camper as a result.

You have quality time relative to your total, so I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself as simply a copilot in the interview. Get the idea across that you are a Captain in training and that you expect to be considered for a type and a PIC position in a reasonable amount of time (12-18 months). This would help you get maximum bucks in salary up front as they can't just consider you a seat-filler. We're looking at really hot times in corporate aviation in the next ten years, since the airlines are draining the swamp of any qualified people willing to make the leap. This is going to make for some really exciting negotiating leverage at annual review time, but also tend to leave a lot of poo poo heads and damaged aviators with seniority at corporate gigs. Unless you are totally dead-set against an airline career that's what I'd be aiming toward. If you're in your early 30's you can't beat the compensation and quality of life that you could have in a 30-year airline career. I'm too loving old to go back at this point, though.

Keep your ear to the ground about other work and be willing to up the gauge of aircraft you're flying. Once you get into the big Gulfstreams (G4 and larger) or Falcons (2000's and up) you get to the point where the pay jumps pretty dramatically and you can get meaningful contract work if you can take it on. Having a ton of 737 time got me a corporate gig in a BBJ, which led to a G4 type and eventually a 7X type where I've been for the past eight years.

If you take the job (I assume it's a 50EX), have fun. The 50 is a great aircraft and they probably aren't going to be around for a lot longer unless there's a reasonable upgrade path for ADS-B and PBN. Remember, too, that a DA50 type qualifies you for the classic 900's.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

I should really invest in getting a 73 or 320 type.

Buying a 320 type would be 100% useless - buying a 737 type would be 95% worthless. The difference being if you were hell bent on going to Southwest.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

I miss living in Chicago :(

I still miss things in Chicago, but do not miss living there. Flying out of MDW for the better part of 16 years was very cool, though.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

Til the gear come down, it goes into Direct Law, and it REALLY becomes a normal airplane and you have to remember how to trim again.

Trim? :confused:

What is this "trim" you speak of?

Have been flying the 7X for eight years.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

I dunno. I've only read of its existence in the manual. I'm sure its somewhere up there. Maybe on the floor?

Edit: I like the 7X back up trim looks like its in a deeply recessed panel. Like, "no, really, don't touch".

The actual manual trim switches (which only get used when the aircraft is in direct laws) are on the pedestal right where they get accidentally activated by poo poo placed on top of them after dumb shits are told not to put poo poo there because they’ll activate the manual trim and gently caress up auto trimming of the elevator. Yeah, this happens pretty frequently because the frog engineers designed the manual trim paddles to protrude about 1/8th of an inch (5mm to frog engineers) above the surrounding panel.

After the electrically-related trim runaway that grounded the whole fleet back in 2010, the FE’s added a Trim Emergency switch to the Emergency Box in the pedestal. This box houses the “no poo poo, don’t touch these unless directed by the checklist” switches and the mechanic gotcha switch (RAT Auto Inhibit) which when left activated will utterly and completely gently caress up initialization of the aircraft - requiring a complete reboot if missed on the preflight by hapless pilots. The Trim Emergency switch allows you to force the release of auto trimming and activate manual trim while still in Normal Law. It’s a BandAid approach to the runaway trim issue, but you can bet your rear end I can find the switch and get it activated in about .3 seconds without looking.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

There is something about ATL and DTW at night or in the winter where if someone screams GUARD it sets of a chain reaction like the monkeys in 2001: Space Odyssey when they first see the monolith

“guard” “GUARD” “THANKS DELTA” “*Chewbacca sound*” “Gueeaaarddd” *unintelligible screeching*

My theory is that it’s like a stress relief valve for the wretched regional pilots and twice divorced Delta MD88 captains

I was on AR18 this morning and a Delta guy was legit asking for a good frequency on Guard from JAX. At least eight assholes stepped all over each other to yell “GUARD”. I wanted to school the loving morons, but instead just stopped monitoring #1. I give up.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

It usually happens because everyone ASSUMES that the legit broadcast on guard is just another accidental transmission (because they aren't actually paying attention, they're just noticing the noise). So everyone gets in a hurry to key up and chastise the erroneous transmitter and let them know they're stupid and on the wrong radio. Except, in this case, it was a legit use of the guard frequency, and in their haste to be the coolest air-sherrif, they have now bitched at somebody who has done nothing wrong.

You can't win for losing when transmitting on guard. Extreme example (I'm making up but I'm sure it has happened):

"Mayday mayday mayday, Cessna 12345 over Somewhere, I have an engine fire and need help"

*10 cool kids stepping on each other transmitting at once*

"Geeeeeyaaaaarrrdddd!"

This. Exactly.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

This but crash pads

QFT

I used to hear a dude snoring at a crash pad UPSTAIRS from our first-floor pad. His nickname was, and still is, Rhino as a result.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

What’s the go to corporate job posting site? Not invested in leaving my job but the industry is changing and looking never hurt.

Is it still JSFirm and ClimbToWhatever?

Pro Pilot World - 15 bucks a year, but worth it. Lots of job listings these days and a lot of commentary from people who know the players involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Naked guy in the woods? Yeah, all the guys from his regional who didn't get hired, are quite charmed with his success story.

I could see the Eisenhower Blvd streaker getting points at his Southwest interview for that stunt, but Delta? He must have been a legacy.