Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

KickerOfMice posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. What's the clock thing?

having a patient draw a clock is a common clinical test for progressive dementia and other fuckbrain problems

skylined! fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

enraged_camel posted:

If the US gets nuked by NK, you can bet your rear end Russia will use the opportunity to also nuke the US in an attempt to pile on and finish the job.

There are easier ways to commit full national suicide.

The Russians aren't blowing every Ohio out of the water in any time frame whatsoever, period.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

Its a Hannibal (?) thing. A character who's experiencing memory blackouts is told to draw a clockface to prove he's capable and they draw a hosed up clock with all the hour-indicating numbers at the bottom.

Ok I get the clock thing. (Also thx for explaining it, who did.)

quote:

Basically, Trump is losing it.

Yessir.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Eox posted:

Please god can we just start a new thread instead of a title change, this thread is almost inaccessible from awful app now

Not until January 20th. :colbert:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Don't clock shame

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Its a Hannibal (?) thing. A character who's experiencing memory blackouts is told to draw a clockface to prove he's capable and they draw a hosed up clock with all the hour-indicating numbers at the bottom.

Basically, Trump is losing it.

Its a real test of cognitive behavior, not just something from Hannibal. Specifically, its part of the mini-cog rapid screening exam for cognitive impairment. Its usually used for Alzheimer's specifically and dementia in general, but it has other uses as well.

IIRC, they actually mis-use it in Hannibal, since it really is just a very rapid screening tool, not something diagnostic at all.

e: beaten very badly.

mdemone posted:

Here's another question since I'm feisty tonight: is the draw-a-clock test done in front of the doctor? That is, does the process by which the patient draws the clock matter, or only the final product? For example, I would draw the 12-3-6-9 first, to get the spacing correct -- would that be taken into account by a doctor?
Yes. In fact, here's the whole mini-cog in all of its very simple glory.

https://www.alz.org/documents_custom/minicog.pdf

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 3, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Don't clock shame

:discourse:

^^^
I understand.

Very cool!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 3, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mdemone posted:

Here's another question since I'm feisty tonight: is the draw-a-clock test done in front of the doctor? That is, does the process by which the patient draws the clock matter, or only the final product? For example, I would draw the 12-3-6-9 first, to get the spacing correct -- would that be taken into account by a doctor?

That would probably be scored higher, if anything, since it shows an ability to analyze the problem at hand, form a plan, and then execute it to achieve the desired result.

It's a useful test because people with dementia have serious, serious mental impairments, to the point that "remembering what a clock looks like" and "remembering which numbers they need to write next" are difficult. It's not meant to be a trick or anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eox posted:

Please god can we just start a new thread instead of a title change, this thread is almost inaccessible from awful app now

look who doesn't trust our lord and savior Radium

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Unless you're a senior citizen or particularly unlucky and already noticing symptoms, you probably shouldn't be worried about whether or not you'd pass a dementia test.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

That would probably be scored higher, if anything, since it shows an ability to analyze the problem at hand, form a plan, and then execute it to achieve the desired result.

It's a useful test because people with dementia have serious, serious mental impairments, to the point that "remembering what a clock looks like" and "remembering which numbers they need to write next" are difficult. It's not meant to be a trick or anything.

The test is literally:

"draw a clock with the time indicating that is 10 minutes past 11"

and yet alzheimer's patients can't do it or refuse to do it. (refusal is also seen as bad because it means the person knows they can't successfully do it)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

Much like the field sobriety test classic, "say the alphabet backwards," they aren't really looking for the correct answer, they're checking to see if you're in control of your faculties enough to try and reason it out, or if you're just addled (by beer or age) to go for it, confident in your abilities, while actually being too broken to function.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Unless you're a senior citizen or particularly unlucky and already noticing symptoms, you probably shouldn't be worried about whether or not you'd pass a dementia test.
Cool.

Sorry, thought that was in response to me.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 3, 2018

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

There are easier ways to commit full national suicide.

The Russians aren't blowing every Ohio out of the water in any time frame whatsoever, period.

Is it public knowledge how many tridents the boomers carry? I'd imagine enough to make an entire hemisphere glow in the dark.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

axeil posted:

The test is literally:

"draw a clock with the time indicating that is 10 minutes past 11"

and yet alzheimer's patients can't do it or refuse to do it. (refusal is also seen as bad because it means the person knows they can't successfully do it)

Yeah, I didn't know the details of the scoring, but I was just making the point that drawing the numbers out of order would not be seen as a bad thing.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Trump can threaten global nuclear annihilation over Twitter, and everyone will just let him, for the same reason people just let him sexually assault women for decades: absolutely nothing loving matters.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

welp i cant post for poo poo

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I didn't know the details of the scoring, but I was just making the point that drawing the numbers out of order would not be seen as a bad thing.

That seems like a bad thing to me.

-Yeah I understood this.
I thought out of order on the face of the clock, not draawing them out of order sequentially.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 3, 2018

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

e: quote is not edit :trumppop:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

welp i cant post for poo poo

Have you tried drawing a clock?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KickerOfMice posted:

As long as you draw them in the right places it doesn't necessarily matter which order you draw them in. i.e., you can draw the 12 first then the 11 as long as you're placing them around the circle in the correct positions.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

e: quote is not edit :trumppop:

gently caress it, dogs abound, do your thing.

^^^^
Hmm

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

VVV
I understand that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

No, I mean drawing the numbers in the correct places, but drawing the anchor numbers (12, 3, 6, 9) at the top, right, bottom and left side of the clock, before filling in the other numbers.

If the numbers are out of order on the finished product, then it's a problem.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Sinteres posted:

lol

i hosed up posting on this page, twice, and somehow petr has posted something even more dumb and bad

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

VVV
I understand that.

what does arby's have to do with this?

did jon stewert sponsor a skywriter???

banana sunrise chair

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Are you crazy? Nothing North Korea could do to us would put the tiniest dent in our nuclear arsenal, so Russia would be eating a thousand nukes to the dome because they felt like piling on when its biggest adversary was in the process of taking potentially its greatest loss ever.

Snowman_McK posted:

And ensure that they're wiped out minutes later.

How do you write this stupid poo poo with a straight face?

clearly you guys never played defcon :smug:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm being an idiot about the clock thing, carry on.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/kashanacauley/status/948365689848520707

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

:five:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:pusheen:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Nuke Button chat is why I've stopped making long term plans and just living on a day-by-day basis: why care about the future when whoops it could all end for me within thirty minutes at any moment anyway?

I've just accepted the new perpetual knife-edge state of affairs as the new normal and adjusted my life accordingly. Life is much easier and happier now, highly recommend it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I was going to suggest feeding the coordinates of the Twitter HQ to NK, but :thurman:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

So it would appear that Trump's tactical approach to North Korea is the Holdo Maneuver from The Last Jedi, but him just running at King Jong Un at lightspeed, backwards, with his rear end spread. It is... a bold challenge.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

John Oliver tried to educate Trump on that, via the catheter cowboy :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecEV4dSAXE&t=1406s

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Fart City posted:

So it would appear that Trump's tactical approach to North Korea is the Holdo Maneuver from The Last Jedi, but him just running at King Jong Un at lightspeed, backwards, with his rear end spread. It is... a bold challenge.

nah

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/948390731357540354

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/948394800159645696

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you all haven't gotten used to Trump'ss empty bluster by now, you should log off and get therapy. Kim Jong Un is interested in staying in power, not committing suicide, and Trump lacks the spine and attention span needed to actually start a war.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

All notable Russian businessmen are shady at this point. Like...everyone needs to realize that Putin has eliminated or exiled every major Russian businessman who wasn't already in his pocket. You deal with international Russian business? You deal with Russian oligarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well at least the news isn't all bad

• Locked thread