Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I had a professor who worked for John Cornyn. He then went on to clerk for Scalia :whitewater:

I would clerk for Scalia and I'm not a lawyer or Republican, but when you get the chance to work for SCOTUS you take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Oh no, you said the M-word, now mcmagic is going to come post any second now

Cory Booker, Cory Booker, Cory Booker!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

First senator I ever met had a wide stance.

The other is a Mormon with a bad habit of driving drunk.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maddow opened her show announcing she was looped out on drugs and was sent home by the doctor but came back to work JUST to talk about Jared Kushner.

That's not newsworthy, I just found it funny.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would clerk for Scalia and I'm not a lawyer or Republican, but when you get the chance to work for SCOTUS you take it.

Oh definitely, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But still

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

if gianforte wins, republicans have to deal with a colleague charged with misdemeanor assault who may have to spend the first six months of his term in a county jail. he's going to enter congress universally loathed and an easy target for 2018.

i'll be happy if the democrats are within single digits in montana. there's no reason the race should be as close as it is.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
All us Red State Goons have a raw deal man... gently caress Walorski and Young

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is a ridiculous hypothetical, because my 1L grades would've needed to be a lot better, but I have no trouble saying I'd clerk for Scalia, Thomas, or Roberts, and I'm as poo poo-libby as they come. Alito, though. Man, I know you take the clerkship if offered, but I really loathe that son of a bitch.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

STAC Goat posted:

Maddow opened her show announcing she was looped out on drugs and was sent home by the doctor but came back to work JUST to talk about Jared Kushner.

Democrats are raving druggies who cannot be trusted.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
So is 'grab em by the throat' or 'grab em by the pussy' going to be the rallying cry of the right in 2018?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

There's only one timezone that matters...

Why...why are they the characters from Battlestar Galactica?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have Joe "West Virginia Democrat" Manchin and Shelly Moore Capito.

How do you think I feel?

I mean, it could obviously be much worse?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/liberals-would-be-foolish-to-target-joe-manchin/

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Young Hegelian posted:

This is a ridiculous hypothetical, because my 1L grades would've needed to be a lot better, but I have no trouble saying I'd clerk for Scalia, Thomas, or Roberts, and I'm as poo poo-libby as they come. Alito, though. Man, I know you take the clerkship if offered, but I really loathe that son of a bitch.

Apparently Thomas is super friendly in person. I didn't go to Harvard so he's the only guy I would've had a shot with (if I'd booked every class lol)

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

QuoProQuid posted:

if gianforte wins, republicans have to deal with a colleague charged with misdemeanor assault who may have to spend the first six months of his term in a county jail. he's going to enter congress universally loathed and an easy target for 2018.

Ahahahaha you're cute

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Ahahahaha you're cute

likewise

e: good avatar, tho

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Richard Burr and Thom Tillis COME AT ME

although Burr might help bring down Trump so idunno

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

He'll get nothing but high fives and that a boys from his buddies and won't spend a minute in jail

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Oh definitely, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But still

Young Hegelian posted:

If nothing else you'd get the chance to debate with someone who was capable of forming the best possible argument for whatever devil act he was about. It wouldn't shock me if liberal clerks changed their minds on a few things. I bet some conservative under RBG has changed a few views too.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I met Mark Warner at a wedding recently and chatted briefly. He seemed cool and I hope he makes waves in his investigation.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

STAC Goat posted:

Yesterday she was on Howard Stern talking about how she pulled her back picking up her laptop. He said the pain is just a mind over matter deal, and she should walk 4 miles to push through it.

Welp v:shobon:v

FizFashizzle posted:

Richard Burr and Thom Tillis COME AT ME

although Burr might help bring down Trump so idunno
Burr is a long time politician, not a tea party shithead. I don't like him, but Tills is way worse.

Burr was my rep for a while.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 26, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Why...why are they the characters from Battlestar Galactica?

When the show was airing, it'd be viewable first on the east coast.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
"Oh woe is me, my congress members won't listen to what I say"

Bitches, I live in New York, there is literally no one I can talk to because they already agree with me. I can do exactly gently caress all about this situation! At least you people in deep red states can hope your words poke them slightly! Sucks!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867908415921823746

Hannity's up to seven advertisers dropped, now. I'm worried that his cowardly attempt to say how he's decided to respect the family's wishes while also saying he meant every word might mean enough advertisers decided to hang on, but it's Hannity so it's not like there will be any shortage of reasons to tell advertisers to ditch him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This "ask advertisers to pull ads" trick seems to work every time it's used.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bhaal posted:

I would write/call this week but my senators are:

- Jeff Flake, 100% behind trump, and who was tragically bludgeoned over the head by large sacks of money and doctors fear he is no longer able to comprehend criticism

- John McCain, whose concern for the righteousness of my appeals would be second to nothing in this world, save only to his unwillingness to do a single thing about it.

Flake's up for reelection in 2018. You might be able to put the fear of God into his heart.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If it's true that Covok is 24 then his gimmick is mostly explained by the fact that the consequence-understanding part of his brain is finally starting to grow in. Most people in their mid-twenties go through a phase where they're in the thrall of what amounts to brain-puberty. You get a spike in anxiety, obsessions with bad outcomes, and what's weirdly common is a certainty that you'll die young, which is your newfound ability to grasp mortality fighting with your adolescent conviction that you're special and something noteworthy is destined to happen to you.

Covok you're making this poo poo worse by indulging in your terrible habit. Don't turn a temporary quirk of brain chemistry into your permanent personality through sheer repetition. You're supposed to be spending this important time learning how to cope with mortality and life's uncertainty. Training yourself to act like a flailing idiot every time you confront a scary thought is literally going to ruin your life.

You have a serious problem.

exploded mummy posted:

where ever he lives now isn't Binghamton

that alone is a positive

Yeah, it's nice being away from that place. The skyline is like loving Mars. You know, gray. A lot of people don't know that, but it's gray. And it's always cold there. Pretty lovely place all around.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

If they're gonna do this, might as well go full-on GOP-controlled House during the Obama years and pass every pie-in-the-sky act they can think of--but instead of repealing the ACA a countless times, they pass every progressive thing they can think of. $15 minimum wage, sure--then single payer, then (again, all purely symbolic) sweeping healthcare reform that would bring down costs and why not throw in free public college too? It'll at least get people excited for 2020--assuming they win in 2018. If they don't have to worry about it getting signed into law, they don't have to worry about actually agreeing on it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mustached Demon posted:

First senator I ever met had a wide stance.

Interesting, what was Larry Craig like in person?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Flake's up for reelection in 2018. You might be able to put the fear of God into his heart.

Make him afraid that he won't get his planet or his harem once he dies. Make him piss that magic underwear right through to the trousers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867908415921823746

Hannity's up to seven advertisers dropped, now. I'm worried that his cowardly attempt to say how he's decided to respect the family's wishes while also saying he meant every word might mean enough advertisers decided to hang on, but it's Hannity so it's not like there will be any shortage of reasons to tell advertisers to ditch him.

I think it's a matter of time for Hannity. Even if he drops this Seth Rich thing and manages to survive it it's just a matter of time before he does something else insane and disgusting. Hannitys survived because he was too much of a joke for anyone to actually take seriously. This higher profile he currently has thanks to the turmoil at Fox and coziness with the Trump Admin shines a light on all the hosed up poo poo Hannity does on the regular. He'd have to dramatically change his act to avoid more scandals. And I think hes currently proving he can't do that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeff Flake, if you vote for the AHCA you will only make it to the second tier of heaven

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

If they're gonna do this, might as well go full-on GOP-controlled House during the Obama years and pass every pie-in-the-sky act they can think of--but instead of repealing the ACA a countless times, they pass every progressive thing they can think of. $15 minimum wage, sure--then single payer, then (again, all purely symbolic) sweeping healthcare reform that would bring down costs and why not throw in free public college too? It'll at least get people excited for 2020--assuming they win in 2018. If they don't have to worry about it getting signed into law, they don't have to worry about actually agreeing on it.

But what if Donald Trump signs off on basic income and universal Medicare? What then? :ohdear:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mr. Fowl posted:

Maybe she actually bought into doing something good? Did you negativity fueled asshats think of that?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe she actually bought into doing something good? Did you negativity fueled asshats think of that?

I was actually being positive :shobon: I think it's a good tactic. Though it does sound rather negative.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Supremezero posted:

"Oh woe is me, my congress members won't listen to what I say"

Bitches, I live in New York, there is literally no one I can talk to because they already agree with me. I can do exactly gently caress all about this situation! At least you people in deep red states can hope your words poke them slightly! Sucks!

Not only do I have NC senators, my representative is Mark Meadows.

I dare anyone here to out misery me in that regard.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

fsif posted:

Are you kidding? You should call them every day.

Both my Senators are Democrats :smuggo:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Demon Of The Fall posted:

He'll get nothing but high fives and that a boys from his buddies and won't spend a minute in jail

why would any congressional republican want to be associated with a guy charged with assaulting a reporter? i get that cynicism is often this thread's schtick, but it is difficult for me to imagine a world where alleged assault is a positive for a republican candidate. even if public response ends up being muted, every one of his colleagues is going to wonder when he might snap again and if he is worth spending tons of money to defend in the next cycle. at best, he gets tolerated.

game this out for me. i know that anne coulter and rush limbaugh might embrace him, because being crude is part of their brand, but endorsing attacks on journalists is still beyond the pale for most politicians and an extreme political liability. (see: bob etheridge)

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 26, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I should definitely call Rob Portman next week? He's moderate enough to actually be swayed, right?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Not only do I have NC senators, my representative is Mark Meadows.

I dare anyone here to out misery me in that regard.

Yeesh. It's a pretty area to drive through but man I would not want to live in that part of the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's exhausting trying to converse with the morons I work with that are all on point this week with the new "there is nothing wrong with TALKING!
tee hee checkmate libs show me some actual evidence of a crime!" :colbert: narrative RE: Russia.

This is in the SF Bay Area too, the Trumpstaffel are everywhere and they are relentless.

• Locked thread