Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pander posted:

I wasn't clear with my ranking, I was giving Rachel the nod primarily for (1) being entertaining and (2) having half as many panels as the other MSNBC shows. Every night Chris lets Maxine Waters shout over him for five straight minutes with the same talking points and I just fast-forward the DVR to Rachel.

I mean yeah she gets into stupid "what IF" conspiracy land but at least it sometimes also includes neat history lessons along the way.

Why would you willingly watch cable news at all? None of it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Judge Jeanine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Sheryl Lee looked really good in her scenes. The new ones, not the clips from the movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to believe. Are they archived anywhere?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

Google maps says it's a 13-hour drive. You could drive from New York to like Georgia in the same amount of time. Also no mountains between them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lmao can we talk about this goddamn nonsense for a bit

like first of all the idea that a state that contains NEW YORK CITY is basically the same as one that contains loving cincinnati

They're approximately as far apart from each other as New York City is from cities with statues celebrating confederate generals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weed is legal in Maine, Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont. Also nobody cares about Montana because it has never mattered politically or culturally to anyone not trapped there. Everyone panicked about the midwest rust traps because the people dying there caused Trump to win. Wreck the country and maybe someone will notice you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Once upon a time Montana was super important for the US economy and labor rights! It's actually really interesting history, for those interested here's a Wikipedia page to get you started.

That's really fascinating and the wiki article deserves to be longer. Thank you for sharing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't there a tv news crew there? Where's my delicious video?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"He wants to take a steel chair to the elderly's access to health services."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

Any transformational shift in the national paradigm requires the wholesale (or at least perceived) failure of the preceding one. You don't get FDR without Hoover, Reagan without Carter, etc. We're just 4 months into the Trump administration, and Fox News is a ruin, Dems are competitive in what should be 20+ R districts, and every week sinks the Presidency further. Assuming we make it to 2018 without dying in nuclear fire (which, okay, is a bit of an assumption), Trump will be the best thing that ever happened to the American left.

EDIT: To clarify -- a whole lot of terrible things will happen along the way there. And those should be fought and protested every step of the way. But the 'democracy is lost' gloom and doom bares no resemblance to what's actually happening.

This isn't exactly true. Carter and Reagan were both fans of Milton Friedman and implemented neoliberal ideas in policy. Carter took poo poo for it and it became Reagan's signature issue.

The left needs not just a republican failure, but genuinely new ideas to energize its base and solicit escaped republicans. It was a short bridge from Nixon to Reagan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Flake's up for reelection in 2018. You might be able to put the fear of God into his heart.

Make him afraid that he won't get his planet or his harem once he dies. Make him piss that magic underwear right through to the trousers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

What? No. Not knowing what you're doing means you're not good. It doesn't matter he was the terminator. That actually has nothing to do with anything.

Trump has taught me a thing. I hate Liberals. I thought I was one, I had Dan Savage on my phone and listened for years. Then Trump taught me what happens when these people don't get their way. What happens when everyone doesn't agree in unison to everything they say. They loving suck, they whinge and literally cry and 'boycott' but its a joke because they're mostly low income earners so who really gives a gently caress about which lentils you're going to buy this week..

So yeah, I can't identify with these people. It's funny because I guess I was a 'default' Liberal, I didn't really think one way or the other but when I was asked it seemed like the Liberals made sense. But that's only on the surface, when push comes to shove I really don't like who they are and what they represent.

Liberals are just bourgeois capitalists, my dude. Some are republicans and some are democrats, and none of them are enjoying this most recent crisis of capitalism. Get some Phil Ochs records and relax for a bit. Then join up with dsa or somebody and get to work for the remainder of your life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Imagine thinking this pit of despair is a hugbox.

They took my wire mother away. Now I just scream all the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn't the issue with this race that it shouldn't be remotely close, to the point where +10 for a republican there is a warning sign for tight races later?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump is irrelevant to the legislature. The actual reps up next year have to care about this because soon it will be them getting this heat. Compared to Ossoff, the democratic party ignored this race entirely because it couldn't have been made competitive. Yet it's nearly a dead heat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The whole point of trump choosing a oval office from that district for an appointment is that there was no danger for a democrat to take the seat. But now there was a lot of danger.

Also will the new oval office go to jail for suplexing a guy on tape? Can he vote from jail?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump right on schedule to steal 40 cakes.

The funny thing is that before he became dc comics president, Lex Luthor divested from his business interests.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that's actually something I've been wondering -- exactly how long do we / does he have before the disease can no longer be hidden? I don't know the details of how the disease progresses but it should be possible to game out a timeline.

It's actually highly variable. Some people can hide it a long time. They usually have healthy bodies, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Reagan was much further along in his second term, from what I understand. He was basically a drooling simpleton, but his testimony was taken at face value. Of course, he had Ollie North falling on his sword for him as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This is a fantastic post. My uncle has been taking care of my Aunt, who had early onset, for almost 20 years at this point. I would never wish it on anyone, even the President and I don't like how I see certain undercurrents going on with even good people almost not resisting the urge to get a shot in on this one. Trump is a contemptible piece of poo poo, but him going through that ordeal as President is real sad and absolutely loving terrifying for all of us at the same time.

Part of why I hate him so is that he made me want him to suffer. I hate that he was able to affect me that way. I don't hate anyone, but I do hate him and I consider it a violation of my mind and spirit that he changed me that way. I will always hold it against him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hehas diabetes, right? There's no way he doesn't have diabetes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trudeau may be a third-way turd, but he is such a stylish man.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm a sexy pagan ritual for consenting adults.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twice burned ice posted:

This might be my breaking point.

I need some time away from this poo poo show.

I mean... how can you possibly think this is appropriate, sane, and not absurdly laughable?

I just can't

"You have too many unions and too many protections for the environment! Building that golf course was very frustrating to me because of them!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zwabu posted:

So it seems like American politics, since the 90's, are stuck in a cycle something like this:

-Democratic president elected, economy greatly improves, has a relatively peaceful administration (Clinton), is continuously demonized by right wing media with mainstream media passive or somewhat complicit with this, thereby eroding support for an otherwise popular presidency

-GOP president narrowly elected, blows up economy while enriching friends, has disastrous foreign policy with many years of consequences

-Democratic president elected (Obama), spends entire term picking up pieces of broken economy and disastrous foreign policy, is continuously demonized by right wing media with mainstream media passive or somewhat complicit with this, thereby eroding support for an otherwise popular presidency

-GOP president narrowly elected, ...

So even assuming Democrats win the House in 2018 and the presidency in 2020, we're going to do worse than treading water if this cycle continues because some of the damage (like the damage to NATO and U.S./EU relations) may not be able to be undone in 4-8 years. How do we break this cycle? Does it require things like Fox News to somehow not have the influence over right wingers that it does?

More boomers die every day, and eventually they won't be able to swing national elections any more. Look at the gap between white votes for Bush Jr. and white votes for Trump. Use things like celebrity boomer deaths as reference samples for how many white boomers are left. A new pattern will take hold eventually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Twitter Account posted:

"Boomers" are no longer the problem, since 20-year-old alt-right anime Nazis are happily taking their place and putting people in office who are even worse.

There are millions of old white men, and lots of them will die before 2020. Millennials aren't majority white (I'm pretty sure--it's around 50%) and there aren't as many of them. And twitter pepes are a very, very small minority that can't organize politically or socially. They rely entirely on the internet and haven't managed to do much to the wider culture. They played almost no role in getting Trump elected, especially compared to aging boomers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would anyone give Alex Jones a show?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I went to the Nick Cave concert in NY and in Red Right Hand he started swapping out lyrics to poo poo on Trump instead. It was a good concert.

On a gatherin' storm comes
A fat rumpled man,
Gripping a flacid tiny dick
In a tiny right hand.

He'll tell you that you've been terrific, just the best, really the greatest or what?
He'll rekindle all the dreams
It took the VRA to destroy.
He'll reach deep into the hole
Move on you like a bitch,
But there's not a single thing
that you can do.
When you're a star
They let you do it.
You can do anything.
Grab 'em by the pussy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would an antisemite vote for jewish grandpa Bernie Sanders?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Keep in mind that Ivanka probably has some psychological problems from being raised by Trump.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a sister who became a federal judge who cut off all contact with the rest of the family at like 25.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump is actually a grave threat to the entire planet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can't wait for bunker time! Just Bannon and Trump hiding from the deep state. Two pills and one revolver.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Dog, that was like last week .

It was at least ten years ago, because Comey was fired 25 years ago. Obama's last day in office was 100 years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Look, we didn't all grow up on the great ranges of the west coast like you did. Some of us grew up on the atlantic seaboard: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana. You know, the mountainless coast near New York.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone who wants a gun should learn how to make bombs instead. Those are how you win a civil war.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

botany posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that CWII doesn't start with a bunch of states voluntarily upholding regulations that have been abandoned on a federal level. I know DND likes to be dramatic but come the gently caress on.

It does seem kind of like the decline of a strong central government and a reversion to allied individual states. Like, if the federal system stops providing necessary things and regions that can form mutual aid pacts to survive, that's pretty weird and sci-fi.

I could see it happening for education too, as state school systems protect themselves from federal abandonment and depredation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

If this leads to Blue States no longer sending majority of their tax revenue to prop up all the failed red states like today, that's good. They can have fun with their coal economies all they want.

I'm sure we'd have lots of fun absorbing millions of refugees from the failing south and rust belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

buglord posted:

And they'd still have fun voting the way they do.

They wouldn't be white. They would be the victims of those people. Also east coast still racist. Don't know about New Cascadia.

• Locked thread