Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Crow Jane posted:

You're probably thinking of Michelle Bachmann

Oh right yeah I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If I remember right atheist at least in the US are more likely to be men so that is probably skewing things some what , but also all men are terrible

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I look forward to KMs reaction GIFS from the Black Panther movies

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

At this point and with all that's occured I honestly believe that really nothing would come of Trump firing Mueller. I don't really got any evidence other than that it seems the Republican's are hell bent on destroying our democracy .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

They arrested a kid with downs?

That's not her son with Downs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that's really hosed up to make someone cut off their pets head .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is there any sort of silver lining to what happened today

In the future youll pay for healthcare with stacks of silver coins

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure they've already changed the food stamp program to allow states to mess with the requirements needed to be met like working etc.. and shorten the time allowed for them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You basically just cut 75 billion? dollars from the economy which would cause some businesses in low income neighborhoods where 80 to 90 percent of the purchases are made to basically fail so you'd have a lot of mom and pops go out of business but large companies like Wal Mart won't be as strongly affected.

Eliminating food stamps wouldn't cause Wal Mart to fail but in some areas of deep poverty you'd see some effect.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

boner confessor posted:

nobody's saying wal-mart would be battling for their survival. they would likely though figure out who they needed to bribe to preserve SNAP since it is a huge driver of sales for wal-mart and generates billions worth of revenue per year

Its probably just my cynicism right now with everything going on but I could see the Republicans reforming SNAP and then making it so the funds can only be spent at specific retailers. Sort of how there are WIC grocery stores.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

boner confessor posted:

yall have some pretty big misunderstandings regarding how SNAP and WIC function and are administrated. you can't have SNAP stores and it's not possible to cut off specific states

I'm actually very familiar with SNAP and WIC as I sign people up for the program through a volunteer outreach LGBT Center program.

You absolutely can set SNAP up to function that way if they reform it and Republicans could change the program so you can only use SNAP funds at approved locations or retailers.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/links-state-agency-wic-approved-food-lists

It's not even that difficult to do and Republican's have wanted to do this for years really.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I can totally see Republican's pushing for welfare reform next year through the reconcilliation process. They got their Tax plan through which was incredibly unpopular.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If I am understanding the timing correctly then if there is a Dem Sweep in the fall of 2018 before the new legislatures come in the Republicans can most certainly use the reconciliation process to get a few more reforms through and one of those would be the welfare reform.

That'd leave the Democrats trying to figure out how to restore healthcare and restore SNAP etc.. over the next two years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm not saying they'll campaign on it but I could see them in retaliation of a heavy defeat doing something like on the way out and you know I really think they would.

Like they passed a historically unfavorable tax plan that polled poorly and only enriched the wealthy.

So yeah if they lose in November, I could see them pushing something like that through before they left and I think the timing is right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SNAP doesn't allow an deduction for student loans from your income so that's something that affects millineals , so you could make above the gross limit for a single person for snap qualifications but you would be well under the net.

If they allowed that deduction you'd probably see more young people in SNAP

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I would support a infrastructure project like the hyperloop but it just dumps people into the depths of the ocean where they drown.

I will buy us all tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

3 of those could just like come with the apartment.

• Locked thread