Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

You caught me at a very strange time in my life. Spawning season.

http://i.imgur.com/5alp022.gifv

I hate this gif because it ends JUST as the water is about to make contact with the turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"Let's hold ha— OK fine, I'll grab your rear end instead."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MOTHERFUCKING CBO COME ON RELEASE THE drat THING

:argh:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:siren: :siren: It's up.:siren: :siren:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

How soon until the Trumpite response to literally everything is "HIS NAME WAS SETH RICH"

yesterday

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/867588252479488001

just lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Man. Republican candidates are attacking reporters and Fox News is confirming it, Sean Hannity's evil poo poo has become a national story and he's catching poo poo for it, and Covok is temporarily probated. I'm just going to wallow in this for a little while.

poo poo is so insane. The world got turned upside down twice, first when Trump got elected and nominated a bunch of blatantly evil fuckers to his cabinet, and then a second time when Fox News turned on a Republican nominee literally the night before an election.

I really can't tell what is real anymore. Like, if I suddenly woke up right now and realized the past six months have been a dream, I would start punching myself in the face again to make sure that wasn't a dream.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

this thread has the awesomest derails

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol, the pope's thing is on the guardian front page

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fsif posted:

Are you kidding? You should call them every day.

Yep. In fact if you can get their cell numbers, you should do this. Give them a taste of their own loving medicine.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Choke-slam reporters and get elected to Congress.

Pussy-grab women and get elected as President.

The formula for success is clear for Democrats!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Claiming Trump is mentally ill or has dementia is a way of exonerating him his actions because he is not in full command of his facilities if he did have those diseases. It's also a slight against people who really do suffer from dementia and Alzheimer . It's just not a good thing to do.

It's not a baseless claim. The symptoms are there, clear as daylight.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes, it's very clear to all of us psychological professionals.

Yes, many of them have come out and said it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...r-a7694316.html

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/07/duty-to-warn-shrinks-cant-say-that-donald-trump-suffers-from-a-mental-disorder-but-we-can/

quote:

Trump's an rear end in a top hat. But he doesn't need to be mentally ill to be an rear end in a top hat, not when he's been rewarded for it his entire life. Let his own drat doctor diagnose him, or not. I honestly don't really care. All that really matters is his agenda and stopping him from enacting it.

You definitely should care that someone who has the nuclear codes possibly has severe mental problems.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

you can't diagnose someone from their public appearances, and anyone who says they can doesn't have much of a professional reputation to begin with

It's not really about the inability to diagnose. It's a self-imposed ethics rule, called the Goldwater Rule.

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/18/goldwater-rule-in-trumpland-psychiatrists-debate-weighing-in-on-the-president-mental-health_partner/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Baronash posted:

What are you talking about? This was a blood red district and it came within 7 points. If every race in 2018 mimics that shift, Democrats are gearing up for the biggest representational shift in generations. This is the dumbest "nothing matters" post I've seen.

That's a pretty big if.

Unless GOP politicians choke-slamming reporters becomes a very frequent occurrence, it's pretty stupid to expect the shift to be realized nationwide.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boon posted:

This is a really bad post if you actually follow the thread for a lot of reasons.
1) The chokeslam had marginal impact due to early voting and no-change restriction
2) It's already a trend nationwide. That's not the question, the question is, what's driving it and will it continue.

So say the polls. But the same polls also predicted a huge Hillary victory, so...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

these slow news days are unbearable

i need my fix

trump is back next week, right? that should be fun

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

oh man, look who joined the seth rich conspiracy circle-jerk!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly, if Zuckerberg was the founder and CEO of a successful company in a high-tech field like green energy, computer hardware, nanotech, or robotics, I would at least pay attention to what he is saying.

Facebook though? gently caress Facebook, and gently caress Zuckerberg for it. The whole thing is an incredibly creepy and invasive information gathering apparatus the likes of which any authoritarian/fascist leader would loooove to have control over. And I don't trust Zuckerberg to not have such tendencies.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aves Maria! posted:

i, for one, am shocked that women in beverly hills would be uninterested in a "person" like Notch

Dude, there's a TON of gold-diggers in Beverly Hills. If not even one of them will hook up with Notch, that honestly says a lot about him...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

e: ^ wouldn't rule out Russians trolling over a line they knew was compromised, but if it's real they could really sweat one of these guys to roll on the other

Gonna be an EFB for sure but:

Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

:dogbutton:

:owned:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/868241396494368772

A bit late for the regular 5 pm news hour but I'll take it.

This is conspiracy to commit treason.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

snorch posted:

Remember that meeting between Erik Prince and the Russians on the Seychelles in order to set up a secret back channel for Team Trump? That was alleged to have taken place exactly one month after J-Kush asked for exactly that, which would mean that they granted his request.

Holy poo poo

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

jared really is one dumb mutherfucker.

The dude is a literal slumlord.

So yeah, don't expect much.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Something I've noticed - r/the_donald seems to have disappeared off the front page of reddit entirely since they went private/came back. I think they've finally lost their momentum from a combination of that event and the constant undeniable bad news about the administration.

TD never had momentum. All they had was a bunch of bots creating and upvoting the same brokebrain content over and over.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Fox news downfall will pull cnn / msnbc and the likes to the right as they try to attrack whats left of its dying viewerbase, wich will in turn accelerate their own demise. hannity, altought right about the seth rich case, is just another neocon establishment tool. I hope they fire him. The death of legacy corporate media cannot come soon enough

:allears:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crabtree posted:

So how would a theoretical deposing of Jared go? Would Trump pressure whichever one of his girls is hitched to him to get a divorce first or what?

Jared isn't going anywhere. He might get his security clearances temporarily revoked while he's being investigated, but it's not like that's gonna prevent Trump from having him continue being involved in everything as if nothing has happened. And if the somehow ends up being convicted of a crime, he would immediately be pardoned by Trump.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trump is practicing the wild new dance moves he learned from Macron :siren::slick::siren:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It doesn't come up on google so it must be fake.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

It takes a lot of time and effort to keep those JO crystals charge up to King of the World levels. It'd be faster if Bannon joined in but he had his dick replaced with a noose decades ago.

this was very good

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

So you've given up pretending you care at all about policy, but?

"Policy" matters only if the person pushing for it has the political experience necessary to enact it.

We are seeing the importance of political experience with Trump (as in, lack thereof). Coming from the business world, he has zero clue how government actually operates. He gives people orders as if he's their boss. He doesn't understand how different parts of the government are intricately tied together and work together. As a result, he can't get anything done.

Zuckerberg has the same problem. Zero practical experience in governing means he is simply unqualified to be POTUS. Maybe he should run for governor first, or congress, and see how things work. It might make him realize he doesn't like politics at all. Who knows, it might even humble him and make him realize he doesn't have what it takes.

Bottom line: the fact that Zuckerberg wants to push for UBI is irrelevant. He's a 32 year old dude, which makes him 7 years younger than Macron, who is the youngest elected president of France. And unlike Macron, he doesn't know politics. He won't get anything done, if elected.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Oh please. Trump doesn't fail to understand how government works because he is a business owner. Trump fails to understand how government works because he is a colossal loving moron of the highest order, a man who is simultaneously senile, an alpha male jock douchebag, has a slow brain that does not learn information well, with a toddlers sensibilities and capacity for attention, and is actively hostile to the very concept of facts and reality. We all know that he doesn't understand basic civics, but that absolute rock bottom stupidity that puts him behind most third graders, kind of redundantly, puts most third graders ahead of him. As in, as long as someone isn't as actively and fiercely opposed to the very concept of knowing things and understanding things as a republican, that poo poo ain't some mystery that eludes the greatest of all scholars.

C'mon, you seriously expect me to believe that you'd need to be the governor of California for 3 years to understand that the court is able to strike down an executive order for being unconstitutional? Or that a bill needs to reach consensus in order to pass the House? You have got to know that saying that all business owners are just as stupid as Putins puppet is hugely disingenuous.

Trump's lack of understanding of basic civics is obviously not the only reason why he is struggling, but it absolutely contributes.

But I'm also not talking about just basic civics. There are some fundamental differences between the private sector and the government sector – operational and cultural – that makes experience in one mostly if not almost completely irrelevant in the other. That's why trying to run the government "like a business" is dumb and doesn't work. But it tends to be every ex-business leader politician's instinct to do so because they simply know of no other way.

quote:

In years past, then the skills learned at the lower levels were essential for a POTUS. Wheeling and dealing across the aisles, winning them over with charm and knowledge of where the bodies are buried, these were finely honed skills. THe problem is that those skills are utterly and completely obsolete in the modern political era. Bipartisanship and working across the aisle is well and truly dead. Hell, they actively hurt you - look at Obama. It is undeniable that his belief in bipartisanship and cooperation were huge flaws that cost him a lot.

Right, thank you for making my point for me: Obama was young and relatively inexperienced, which resulted in his stupidly naive belief that he could work with the GOP in a bipartisan way to get things done. It took nearly an entire term for him to learn his lesson.

With Zuckerberg, I guarantee you that he would be an even more naive POTUS, and therefore even less effective. You say he can pass UBI? loving lol.

Zuckerberg becoming POTUS would be like someone who doesn't know how to code becoming the chief software architect in charge of critical technical decisions in a sprawling and highly complex system. It can't lead to anything other than ruin.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 30, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

America still hasn't learned that arming various factions in the Middle East NEVER turns out well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Arming, training and supporting indigenous forces is a massive part of what we do and it's required if you want them to be able to stop the isis of the future. Leaving before the Iraqi forces were ready was obviously a big mistake, for example. I'd love to hear your alternative though.

Not only that, you want the locals to be the ones to defeat isis, if we go in balls deep with a poo poo ton of troops that feeds right into isis's "narrative"

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, America's pretense for arming and funding Islamist groups in Afghanistan was pretty much the same.

The result? Al Qaeda was born. The rest is history.

Arming militant groups is like adding fuel to the fire in the hopes that it will burn your enemy's face. But when the wind eventually and inevitably changes direction, you get burned, too.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

arming the Iraqi Kurds has been a success for the past decade or two that was rather helpful when ISIS crushed the main government's forces

ISIS was born when America dismantled the secular Iraqi government and replaced it with a Shiite one. The Sunnis got alienated and disenfranchised as a result, and eventually formed ISIS.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

This is an overwhelming simplification of a complex issue, go read "The Looming Tower"!

The Looming Tower mostly talks about the people involved in 9/11. It doesn't cover Al Qaeda's origins and background nearly to the same extent that the post I linked does...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

This unsourced quora article by some dude adequately sums up decades of geopolitical issues

I don't want to turn this thread into the Middle East thread. We can take this there if you want.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

in addition to being irrelevant, this is so oversimplified that it is essentially wrong

It is oversimplified because like I said I don't want to turn this into the Middle East thread.

I stand by my original claim, which is that arming Kurds, or any other group in the Middle East, is incredibly risky. Possibly advantageous in the short term, with potentially devastating consequences in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, like I said a couple of weeks ago:

• Locked thread