Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ice Phisherman posted:

End the drug war. Treat addiction as an illness. Decriminalize less than ten days supply. Increase the sentencing for everyone who deals or supplies said drugs. Declare several months of amnesty for any drug users who wish to get help with no consequences. No more jail for merely using drugs. We're currently in a several decade long opioid crisis.

Infrastructure spending bill. Jobs, jobs, jobs. If the other party doesn't like it frame it as them hating growth and jobs.

End the ongoing persecution of guns and gun owners. I feel like the dems focusing on firearms needlessly riles up republicans. There are probably some wins that can be gained, but after Sandy Hook I don't think the nation is going to get behind sweeping gun control. Any gains will just continue to make gun owners more and more angry.

Instead try to address gun violence by going after street crime and by increasing psychiatric care and access to that care.

Focus on education and economic development.

Repair our international image.

Body cams on police while on a beat. Blue lives, black lives, whatever lives, doesn't matter. What matters is that they stay on and if they were intentionally sabotaged the offending officer is fired and not able to be hired again by other departments. So police reform I guess. The focus shouldn't be on any one faction, but making sure that police officers fulfill their duty without abusing the public. Abusers get prosecuted. Those who sabotage their cameras get fired and are unable to be rehired. So in essence a bad apple purge.

Also go after civil forfeiture. A lot of these republican states (and others, but mostly red/purple) are being bled dry by police seizing their poo poo. A lot of republicans would give the dems a second look if they're protecting their property.

Just to name a few I guess.

Gun owners are being persecuted?

By who?

Are we still talking about the United States?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well killing people is not going to make things better, white supremacist or not. This is the time for Martin Luther King Jr. When the alt-Nazis start shooting us in the streets ie. when they have abandoned society for all to see, that will be the time for Malcolm X.

The way things are going it will be the same day Mueller looks into a camera and says "Treason".

The Civil Rights Movement relied on both. The peaceful protests of MLK were a calculated move to provide an olive branch counterpart to people like Malcolm X, who by their very existence made the overtures of MLK more effective.

He was not a committed pacifist, he was a strategist.

So you might wanna rethink this extremely ahistorical narrative of "MLK = peaceful therefore peaceful protest = successful" that you're running on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

radmonger posted:

MLK, Mandela, and Ghandhi all offered their opponents a feasible thing that they could do which would avoid conflict.

The leaders of the IRA, Tamil Tigers and PLO did not. Most of heir heirs would now admit that was a strategic failure.

Chamberlain and Lincoln also offered their opponent a feasible thing they could do to avoid conflict, had their offer returned down, and had their side win anyway.

Non-aggression is a tactic, and a highly effective one. Evidence suggests it is worth trying first, and abandoning it if it doesn't work.

In the context of US Nazis, that looks like counter-demonstrating in greater numbers with enough self-defence to prevent smaller numbers wining via brutality.

The offer made should be along the lines 'impeach Trump if the FBI find he is guilty, let the mid-term elections happen on schedule otherwise'.

They offered solutions to prevent FURTHER conflict. In every instance you list violent conflict was already in progress and running parallel to peaceful overtures. The narrative does not fit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Having gone to school in Texas, they just say "state's rights" and move on, maybe with some grumbling about the "overbearing federal government..." They also never hesitate to point out that not all slave states seceded, and use the language of the Emancipation Proclamation to argue that "for Lincoln/the Union" it wasn't about the abolition of slavery but about preservation of the Union.

Dietrich posted:

All I know is I have a buddy who keeps repeating that less than 1% of the reason behind the civil war was slavery.

Your buddy, who you should really not be buddies with if he won't concede the point btw, is hilariously wrong. Direct him to the Confederacy's Constitution, which in no uncertain terms states that the reason for the formation of the Confederacy is, above all else, the defense of slavery. Direct him to the documented arguments made by South Carolinan representatives to the other would-be Confederate states when attempting to convince them to secede. Their arguments, uniformly, pertain to agitating fears that the Union will abolish slavery and let the negro run rampant upon white women.

That the Union did not fight for the abolition of slavery as it's primary objective does not change the fact that the war was still about slavery, especially for the South.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

There's a lot of posters here who take it as a given that the public would support the idea that guns are the cause of murderous assholes, rather than seeing them as being used as a tool by murderous assholes.

That's hasn't really worked out.

Are you trying to assert that guns are inconsequential to the rate at which Americans get murdered and/or kill themselves or...?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TremorX posted:

I've been around a lot of people and kids who were physically and psychologically abused for not adhering to religion. I've seen people with legitimate mental illnesses go untreated because they were convinced that schizophrenia was demon possession. I knew a smart and beautiful young girl who killed herself because she was hearing voices and the only solution anyone would give her was to pray more. So gently caress religion, I have no respect or use for it and if that makes me militant then you can post a sassy GIF about it, I don't really care.

And on the other hand, religion has been instrumental to the advocacy of leftist causes in South America and Canada. Free market worship, neoliberalism, Stalinism, Maoism, all perfectly secular belief systems that have nonetheless done immeasurable harm to the world. Religion, or lack thereof, doesn’t really matter. Religion conforms to culture far more than the inverse.

What I’m saying is that Evangelical Protestantism in America is an American disease moreso than a Christian one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

You absolutely do not get to use a term like "white fragility" as a cudgel to silence people talking about their experience as a religious minority you happen to find distasteful. The way some posters here are talking about atheism is pretty gross, and would be completely unacceptable if we were talking about a different marginalized group.

What has been said about atheists other than that militant atheists are functionally indistinguishable from fundamentalists? They’re both essentially faith/narrative driven actors, not rational ones. :shrug:

Insofar as people can be rational anyhow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Growing up in a hardcore southern baptist town as an atheist will turn anyone into an rear end in a top hat. That obviously doesn't excuse misogyny or racism but :laffo: if you think atheists cause 1% of the problems that organized religion does in the US. Also, as mentioned, atheists aren't some organized group by any means so the prominent figures of the "community" don't really speak for the rest the same way a big mega church preacher figure does.

It is simultaneously true that atheists are legitimately marginalized and also that militant atheists are useless dickheads. The number one problem with prominent militant atheists is that they trend towards being functional right wingers, they just justify it to themselves based on supposedly rational basis (“muslims are observably savages!”) like some kind of latter day Victorian phrenologists.

They should be derided loudly because their ideas propagating among privileged white kids is just another obstacle we don’t need in this already right leaning country.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Religion is a mental disorder.

There is zero difference between believing in god(s) and believing in unicorns.

Hope this helps.

Religious belief is indistinguishable from belief in the concept of America or France. Nation states and national identities are fictions we nonetheless organize real societies around.

Using stories and symbols, usually at best semi-fictional, to guide our lives is incredibly normal, and not at all a mental disorder. The secular and the religious alike do it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Um, no? Religion isn’t the same as national boundaries and identities. Don’t be dumb.

They are exactly the same. There is no such thing as an American ot a Frenchmen, only our belief in these fictional concepts gives them weight. There is no real tangible reason why a man born in the Bible Belt and a man born in California should be considered to share intrinsic characteristics nebulously defined as “being American” but because we choose to do so anyway it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Fiction is very normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eeyo posted:

America and France are real things as far as their constituents all agree they are. They have authority to declare themselves as real via collective action. And the same can be said for like the Catholic church or Zoroastrians.

But there's no requirement to invoke anything supernatural. Countries can legislate themselves without supernatural beings, and cultures can create art and intangibles without that either.

I’m glad you agree with the premise put forth.

• Locked thread