Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the upside for Romney is probably Jeff Flake but like that's still a relative improvement on Orrin Hatch and his full throated "Trump is the best president of my lifetime" railroad confirmations through committee tenure. Even if Romney does everything Hatch did its a lateral move and if he's 2% less evil than that's a relatively good thing.

He's just not going to be a wall for bad GOP stuff or firebrand voice against the Administration so its nothing to get excited about.

All in all, I'm glad Orrin Hatch's end is near and Trump's day is a little worse for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don't worry. Huckabee makes poo poo up and never actually follows through on anything she says will be announced later. Its just her go to deflection when a reporter asks a question about something Trump said. She neither wants to disagree with the President nor has anything to back him up so she just tells you to ask someone else or wait.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shifty Pony posted:

I wonder if she saw how well Trump's "we'll see" dodge worked and made her own version of it.

SHuckS is a rather frustrating because she is pretty darn good at shutting down the press without even giving up eyebrow-raising quotes in a way that made them a target of mockery like Spicer had a habit of doing.

Competent people in this administration scare me.

I'm not sure how competent she is, but the main difference I find between her and Spicer is that Spicer let the media get to him. He got angry and worked up and felt a need to defend himself and Trump. Huckabee doesn't. She's nakedly shameless and feels no need to defend anything she or Trump do or say. The media doesn't make her angry or put her on the defensive. She just condescends to them and dismisses them openly in a way that no professional PR person should do.

I don't know if that's competency as much as its just inherited "give no poo poo"ness. But its what you need to survive the Trump Administration. if there's something Huckabee really gets its (a) that just denying something or deflecting it is way more effective than fighting it like Spicer did and (b) there's so much poo poo and chaos that the press pool really can't keep up to hold you accountable for the poo poo your promised them last week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Office Pig posted:

Today has positively been a tweet typhoon.

Its almost like when someone takes a weeks long vacation and comes back to a pile of poo poo all at once.

But that can't be the case. President Trump works hard on the golf course. Its work golf.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, either he is going even more nuts or indictments/mueller news is about to hit. either way holy gently caress.

I really think this is just a "first day back after weeks on vacation" storm. Our President's been largely zoned out the last few weeks so this is him tuning back in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. but what set him off about Pakistan?

Like most things I assume Trump is reacting directly to something he saw on Fox News or an article someone handed him. But I admit I don't know that such a thing exists in this particular case.

Although in this case I get the sense its a Nikki Haley/UN thing and possibly fallout from all the recent drama around Israel and Iran. But I'm not really confident enough to make an argument about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is this the normal amount of politicians to be retiring

There's definitely an uptick of people resigning because of scandals and people resigning because they can't win with Trumpism. But that doesn't mean there aren't some usual cases of people just deciding to hang it up for personal, business, or political reasons. You seek higher office. You seek a more profitable position you secured while in office. You just get tired of it. There's more reasons than Trump or scandal to quit.

But Trump and scandal are definitely in the mix.

• Locked thread