Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Fox slipping in the ratings is the only thing they care about and it's actually happening lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

paul ryan is a guy whose privatization plan for social security would've ended up with the social security administration owning the entire stock market. he is not a bright individual.

poo poo, he's actually good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm voting for Comrade Ryan

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Dress for the job you want, right Melania?

Lmao

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

...the "fake Russian document" seems perfectly adequate to spin up an investigation on, and I don't see why being wrong means that Comey was actually stupid. I'm sure the FBI investigates based on false intel all the time.

It's saying part of the motivation to have that press conference without input from the DoJ was the document indicating that the DoJ wasn't going to be impartial/would intentionally try to be too kind to Clinton, so they couldn't trust them, which was false

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fsif posted:

It should go without saying, but this is class warfare.

Lining people up to shoot them in the head is not war

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They are STEALING 100B of your health care and giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. If you can't message that you don't belong in politics.

1,000B

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

And THIS is what I don't understand. Like, at all.

The AHCA would cost less than the ACA does, but still a lot more than doing nothing at all like we were before. And yet this is basically returning us to pre-ACA uninsured levels, only now it costs a shitload to do the same as doing literally nothing?

It savagely cuts spending on health care to pay for massive tax cuts for the rich

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I started work this week so I'm not really following everything but today was

CBO came out and was bad as expected
Trump told someone where we have subs continuing his pattern of making GBS threads all over NatSec
I'm pretty sure he told that crazy Filipino president gj on his war on drugs
He's really tired

Did I miss anything?

The orb seems larger

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope that taunting politicians into physically attacking you becomes a standard political tactic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Supremezero posted:

So, wait, do people hold bbqs inside offices now? Is that a thing? Or does this statement fail to line up with even itself, much less the audio?

CO poisoning would explain at least some of the things Republicans do

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

Average can mean mode, median, or mean. If there are 1000 people in a town and 999 have a total net worth of 1000 dollars each and one has a total net worth of 50 billion, you would not say that the average person in that town has a net worth of over 50 million dollars.

You would if you were a Republican

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I know because it's an insanely absurdly safe Republican district where the news is about how it's close but Quist has never been ahead at any point. Our President was caught discussing sexual assault shortly before the election and had a number of women come out to claim they assaulted him and still won and he was facing longer odds than this. Republicans do not care. They might care about the AHCA thing but enough to turn a safe district into a D win is unlikely.

If the pussy grabbing tape came out the day before the election he would have lost

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So is this the renewal of Mattering?

Hail orb

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Early voting also slants Dem I understand, so the people who might be turned off by their candidate violently attacking someone probably haven't voted yet

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jokes and irony literally don't exist, it's always at least partially serious

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oooh ma ma that's a spicy meatball

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Crain posted:

So, what the punishment?

House seat

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

The people that are still intending to vote for Gianforte are lost causes; no one ever expected this to reach them.

It'll definitely make some of the non radicalized ones stay home

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bill Clinton, Grover Cleveland, Thomas Jefferson, who else?

Trump won the election, back in November

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/868241396494368772

A bit late for the regular 5 pm news hour but I'll take it.

Not that I believe anything the Russians say but still lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know how they manage to stab each other in the back so many times, with only one back and two arms each

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deadulus posted:

Yeah plus this is a back channel that the Russian government and FSB would know about but the CIA and NSA were supposed to be ignorant of. However it looks like the American IC has been tracking this from the beginning.

What is the innocent explanation for that lol

Let's find out:

T.S. Smelliot posted:

this poo poo grows increasingly absurd, so kushner was (rightfully) concerned over illegal wiretapping and requested his foreign communications be secure? :laffo: WHO loving CARES

A very subtle, nuanced take

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Keep in mind that Ivanka probably has some psychological problems from being raised by Trump.

Being rich gives you psychological problems

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

no seriously, Ken Jennings isn't mocking Barron in any way, shape, or form. Saying the name of Trump's son is not off limits

Republicans are always hypocritical, engaging with their argument in good faith is always a mistake

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

i'm the not adding "ivanka" to your dictionary and spelling Barron's name wrong

It's a title not a name at that point

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I would like to point out that once again on a slow news day without a fresh Trump Scandal this thread went from running a meme into the ground to arguing over the Democratic Primary.

Its really pretty remarkable once you start watching for it.

*right hand begins moving to the keyboard of its own accord, I clutch and pull at it desperately with my left but it moves with an unholy strength* Bernie would have won

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Welcome to GBS posted:

I'm not especially worried about home protection. We have two pitbulls that do not look inviting to people trying to break in. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood. But what I'm saying is that it has become incredibly clear to me that there is an attempt to completely corrupt the Federal Government, and Russia is most likely behind it. I don't have to explain to you the general mental state of the people supporting this government (and giving them their power, ultimately), but I can tell you from my experience with them that they all own guns and will not hesitate using them to instill fear into the 'tolerant left' if this power starts to be taken away.

I'm afraid of living in this timeline and not having the ability to fight back. Unfortunately, and it really pains me to say this, relying exclusively defensive tactics is a losing fight.

(I'm not advocating for violence, at all. But if there is violence, I do not plan on showing up with a knife to the gunfight.)

It's overwhelmingly more likely that if you buy a gun you or someone else living in the home with it will use it to commit suicide than using it in any sort of rebellion

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

And it is even more overwhelmingly likely that it will just sit in a gun safe unused for the rest of your life (buy a gun safe you moron). Maybe with the side benefit of occasional use at the range for some fun hobby activity.

Yeah that is more likely, but it's only worth it if the upside for you is enjoying owning a gun as a hobby or whatever. If you're only buying it because you're scared you'll need it in Civil War 2 it's pretty easy to tell that that's way less likely than you ending up you want to off yourself with it. So if safety is your goal, buying a gun does make you less safe, so you shouldn't do it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

Hell, why not do this with every idiotic thing his base wants but is actually too stupid to do without causing huge amounts of damage and harming the republican brand. "We'll do everything you want! Everything!.... One day after you re-elect us! no really!"

They were going to do that with Obamacare but since Trump is an idiot he insisted it happen immediately

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Let me tell you about a piss tape, and how not one shred of evidence actually exists but it it 100% D&D verified.

Trump himself confirmed it

quote:

On the morning of March 30, the President called me at the FBI. He described the Russia investigation as "a cloud" that was impairing his ability to act on behalf of the country. He said he had nothing to do with Russia, had not been involved with hookers in Russia, and had always assumed he was being recorded when in Russia.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Emails are the real story here

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rigel posted:

Well, this is bad. Part of the calculation that the GOP might fail to get to 50 assumed that Dean Heller might want to continue being a Senator after 2018. If he's willing to sacrifice his career for the AHCA, that makes it easier to find the votes.

https://twitter.com/PeterSullivan4/status/872850232215834624

I've been severely overestimating how much they think passing this will hurt them

I hope I'm right and not them

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You guys all quoted the specific section proving he was wrong, but after he himself quoted the same specific section proving he was wrong

He's so dumb he owned himself faster than anyone else possibly could

Beautiful

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Retro42 posted:

This is why you don't get a non-DC attorney for an issue like this. If this is how Trump's personal defense will look he is more than turbo-hosed.

All the good lawyers didn't want to represent him because they knew he wouldn't pay them and they would look like shitheads for trying to defend him so they would miss out on other work lmao

Edit: oh yeah and he wouldn't listen to them anyway

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cr0y posted:

For us laypeople what happens next?

Trump's not getting impeached but the special counsel will probably recommend it, and it makes him look really bad to everyone but his hardcore base

Still wins re-election against Cory Booker in 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Wait, is that not supposed be a thing anymore? I always double-space.

If you edit this post, you'll see there's a double space in what you wrote. If you look at it on the normal page, you'll see there's only one.

That's because the browser knows you're wrong but doesn't want to embarrass you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't understand this. That's May in the middle, right? With the biggest numbers? And the poll says they have the largest party? Someone explain.

It's not winner take all, you vote for your rep for your area, then all your reps decide who they want to be the new king. If your party doesn't have a flat out majority, they have to barter with the other reps to decide who gets to be king. If you don't get a majority yourself, everyone that hates you can join together and decide to have a different king.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I love UK Prime Minister self owns.

Assuming the other two parties allied with Labour, what happens with a tied parliament?

I think murder becomes legal until one of the groups gets a majority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

lmao

• Locked thread