Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

7c Nickel posted:

Warren kind of shot her chances in the rear end when she jumped on the Donna Brazile book thing and said that the primary was rigged. I mean even after the election Hillary Clinton is still the most admired woman in America and that pissed off a fair chunk of the democratic base.

Nobody cares about that who isn't actively refreshing Hillaryis44.com every thirty seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

7c Nickel posted:

Again, she just won most admired woman in the US for the 22nd time. She still has a sizable fanbase and pretending that no one cares or likes her is gonna mess up your perceptions when the primary rolls around.

Please explain how anyone is saying anything like that?

Nobody thinks Warren bears any ill-will or disrespect to Hillary and anybody who says that won't be taken seriously.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OddObserver posted:

Yeah. I would just like to point out that seizing control of opposing media was a key aspect of Putin's consolidation of power....

Yeah, he's trying, he's just too dumb to figure out how to seal the deal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furnaceface posted:

I can only imagine how many US ambassadors are currently being called into offices around the globe, all being asked the same question. "What the gently caress is wrong with your president?"

Fewer han you would think! Trump fired all of Obama's and still has not appointed many replacements.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Madkal posted:

Is your president.....okay? Like are we sure he isn't in the middle of some kind of mental episode of some kind?

Oh we are all pretty confident in our diagnoses at this point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

7c Nickel posted:

??? She literally said the primary was rigged. They can just play the tape.

Those aren't remotely synonymous statements. The primary was rigged in the same sense that gerrymandering is rigged: legal, but in need of reform.

The problem you're running into with this is that Hillary and Warren have the same base: older white progressive women. You're doing the equivalent of trying to argue there's a wedge between Obama voters and John Lewis voters. It doesn't work, even if one time Lewis said something vaguely bad about Obama.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 3, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ague Proof posted:

The real Doomsday Clock is the one Trump can't draw.

ok, yeah, actually, new thread title right here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KickerOfMice posted:

That seems like a bad thing to me.

As long as you draw them in the right places it doesn't necessarily matter which order you draw them in. i.e., you can draw the 12 first then the 11 as long as you're placing them around the circle in the correct positions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

Totally agreed. All of the people who seem to be worried about Trump blowing up the world via North Korea always seem to posit the Koreans as being the aggressors, despite them studiously avoiding major moves for decades. They aren't going to bomb Seoul / Alaska / Japan just because of one of Trump's insane tweets - for all their various bluster, they're still far more sensible and self-aware than that. And Trump is too much of a coward to actually commit his administration to a war - he'll whine and threaten but as usual it'll come to nothing.

Y'all are probably right but the threat of accidental stupidity is non-trivial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

It's also constant and unchanging. Trump is a pathological liar in addition to being incredibly indecisive, and nothing he says should be taken as indicative of future action or policy. Our risk for sudden acts of insanity are effectively constant while he's in office, regardless of what his administration says.

I'd argue it's variable within a constant range. The chance is always there, but (for example) each time he says something whacky about North Korea, he increases the chances that some Chinese radar operator is going to get hyped up on twitter fumes and mistake a flight of geese for a first strike.

Those effects are short term and peter out as Trump gets distracted by his next cheeseburger or whatever, but they're real.

I mean, I'd like to be able to pooh pooh the hysteria and effectively there is not a goddam thing any of us can effectively do about any of it until the next elections anyway. So in a practical sense you're right that it's not worth worrying about. But there's a difference between "your fears are irrational" and "your fears are unproductive." I wish I could tell people their fears were irrational; all I can honestly say is that they're unproductive.

• Locked thread