Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Sinclair? I've never heard of them before.

Dinosaur media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The optics are very transparent.

That's good, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hollismason posted:

Basically, just imagine the most ineffectual sanctions on Russia that would do the least harm but would sound like the worst thing.

We're going to throw the Russians into the briar patch?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This counts as a :lol:, right?

quote:

The White House intervened in order to add an extra littoral combat ship to Navy's budget request a day after the budget was released, three sources familiar with the decision told CNN, in a move that has befuddled lawmakers and budget experts.

The decision to add a second littoral combat ship to the Trump administration budget after the fact caught even Navy leaders by surprise, with Navy officials delivering contradictory testimony Wednesday while defending their budget on Capitol Hill.

The Navy initially submitted a budget that funded one littoral combat ship for 2018, down from two that the Obama administration requested in 2017.

On Wednesday morning, acting Navy Secretary Sean Stackley defended the decision to fund just one such ship in a Senate hearing. But by the afternoon, Navy acquisition official Allison Stiller testified to a House panel that the White House Office of Management and Budget now "endorsed" a second ship, which would cost more than $500 million.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/politics/littoral-combat-ship-white-house-intervene/index.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know nothing matters, but at some point it will matter. It just might take awhile.

The GOP will continue to shrink until Democrats do something bone-headed and leave that party. This is a nearly a zero sum game. Any voters who don't vote one side will vote the other.

Or maybe hipsters will resurrect the Whig party.

That'll be the Mhustache party

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the current right wing spin is actually the murderer was really a leftist.

I'm surprised it isn't THAT SO-CALLED REPUBLICAN VICTIM WAS NO SAINT.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Invictus posted:

Garrison is noticeably porkening Trump up in his more recent images

even on the campaign trail Trump has never looked as awful as he does now, he's gained a shitload of weight, it's actually kind of staggering how much heavier he clearly is compared to when he was campaigning. Only a few short months and he looks like he's put on 80+ pounds.

Also whether he realizes it or not, Garrison is going to go down in history as an example of a propaganda artist. Wonder how he'd feel about that.

Porkening? He's drawing him with freaking abs. That you can see through his shirt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

Yes exactly I was criticizing the map for labeling them all the same culture because "uh, French?"

They both have long strips of farmland with a tiny abutment along the river, they look the same to me from 30K feet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pellisworth posted:

Trump at Arlington is the equivalent of having a moment of silence for our war dead, everyone but Trump bows their heads to pay respect and reflect on their sacrifices but Trump is a bored idiot who doesn't understand decorum so he keeps talking loudly.

It would be pretty sweet if he stood there talking poo poo during the flag lowering ceremony or changing of the guard or something and the soldier spun around on him all MISTER PRESIDENT, IT IS REQUESTED THAT A LEVEL OF SILENCE AND RESPECT IS MAINTAINED. ....SIR

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Excoriate doesn't sound like a Trump word.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pollyanna posted:

8 pages over a goddamn typo. I'm going back to sleep.

You and I both know it'll be a typo that launches the nukes.

Also pro username post combo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Timby posted:

Acosta's also reporting that Trump is putting some "fine print" in the announcement to placate Ivanka, who's been begging him to stay in the agreement.

The fine print is "Ivanka stays in the Paris Agreement"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/870445001125355522

Donny Dons tweeted this. If you can figure it out, great! You'd be the first!

I think he's just like-farming.

He just wants another few thousand of those little hearts, because those are the points with which he keeps score on his life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My God if that isn't the coolest loving building to reclaim for high-tech loft space :monocle:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RandomBlue posted:

What about Sixteen Tons? Chain Gang? Black Lung Bugaloo?

There's also some amazing movies like Coal Miner's Daughter and Weird Science.

Are you saying these are happy songs?

Pretty sure the post you're quoting was explicitly referring to Sixteen Tons at least.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

evilmiera posted:

Elon Musk finally realizes Trump really is too dumb to advice:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/870369915894546432

*Trump cuts off his subsidies*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well, yeah, but how do they get the regular folks on board with it, are they all longing for the days with lead in everything including the gas exhaust in the air and uranium in the glow-in-the-dark paint or do they just think God would never let them run out of resources so recycling is for none-believers?

These people look out the window and say "Welp, the environment seems fine to me, why should I have to change anything I'm doing?"

It's the exact equivalent of racial/sexual privilege. It's a narrative that tells people they're doing everything just right already and don't have to change or sacrifice anything, and anyone who says otherwise is trying to get their greedy little fingers into your pocket (or take away your fun).

USA A-OK! And it the planet warms up a few degrees, so what? I like nice sunny days! :buddy:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cimber posted:

I grew up learning my geography during the cold war, so i would just call it The Ukraine. I still sometimes think about Czechoslovakia too.

:same: Also my geography teacher insisted on "Turkmenia" rather than Turkmenistan

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like he's just blown away by how "cool" the national labs are.

Like he's climbing into the driver's seat of a big rig and making honking and gear grinding noises

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vintersorg posted:

Donald Trump is a piece of poo poo.

POTUSPOS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Old already but this is 100% how senior citizens convince themselves climate change is a bunch of hooey.

All they talk about is the weather. That's how you hobnob. When all you talk about is the weather, the way you have an animated conversation is to grouse about how the weather has failed to match up to the expectations of the forecasts. Of course you and your friends all knew better; you've got your own systems for telling whether it's gonna rain or not. Those drat eggheads on the news, what do they know? App? Pssh.

They get paid whether or not they're ever right. Ever notice how they never face any consequences for being wrong about the weather? And now they talk about "climate change". Yeah, like we're going to take these clowns at their word about something nobody can see happening or prove and will cost us a ton of money. Dang it, back in the 70s they all talked about a coming ice age! These people couldn't find their rear end with both hands. It's all a bunch of back-patting and graft if you ask me.

Old people need better hobbies is what I'm saying I guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

enraged_camel posted:

One of the WaPo commenters captured the problem with air traffic privatization perfectly:

There's a parallel universe where the right-wingers are posting comments on articles about the impending nationalization of ATC describing it as being like waiting in line at the DMV or Post Office.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EugeneJ posted:

If they would have just converted the scan to monochrome and posted it that would have been fine, right?

Or I don't know, don't scan it at such a ridiculously high resolution that the 1200 dpi microdots are visible? jfc.

Things were so much easier when they used to just type up a "letter" in Word and say it was from a 1971 typewriter

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cartoon parn

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

McCain aside, the most nonplussed I have been about this whole Comey thing is discovering that the way Donald loving Trump, King of the Deal handles quid-pro-quo glad-handing is by saying things like "We had that thing, you know".

Like that's some bad-movie-grade bullshit. It's the kind of thing Dave at the neighborhood barbecue would say about borrowing your lawnmower or about a clandestine tip on a weed dealer. I would have thought the world's foremost, real-life Atlantic City mob boss would have, like, a completely other level of vocabulary for dealing with letting your dinner companion know you hadn't forgotten about X or Y favor you supposedly owed each other.

The older I get the more I realize there is no more "grown-up" to get.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skylined! posted:

I haven't gotten a good response yet from asking 'so what if they leaked, the info describes illegal activities and abuse of power'. unsurprisingly.

Yeah, I think the "so what?" riposte is actually not a bad one to try. If someone is arguing that something is bad but doesn't really know why, like if they're just repeating a talking point or they have a ready-made label they just want to slap on as many people as they can, you can take a lot of wind out of their sails by making them explain what's so bad about it. Especially if you use "so what" as a pivot to something damning of your own.

It's like the thing where you respond to a racist joke by making them explain why it's funny.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Party Plane Jones I appreciate your roundups.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skylined! posted:

it's a lovely qualifier that is meant to vindicate their lovely opinion and should always be rebutted with "as a decent and compassionate human being your stance is wrong"

I like the extra quarter turn: "Well apparently being a decent and compassionate human being is the opposite of being a Christian. How about that!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Interweb posted:

The part at the end threw me off a bit, though. Initially I thought they were trying to get rid of him cause they thought he was some loser nerd and not a true believer, but then the one guy shouts "get that nazi poo poo out of here!". So they're actually somewhat, sorta, kinda not totally horrible people?

I think it's more that the non-meme nazis really fail to see themselves as nazis. The pepe guys will wear nazi regalia because "kek", but the mainstream/confederate/MAGA people will point at swastikas with that body snatchers shriek just like anyone else. They simply won't accept it if you try to explain that they, too, are nazis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mendrian posted:

You have an entire generation of people who are now so far away from Nazism that it's an academic exercise for them rather than a practical concern. They challenge the very idea that Nazis are evil either in spite of the fact or because of the fact that they have been told (correctly) that Nazism is an affront to American values. I was predicting that you either are seeing or will see a wave of neo-fascists who embrace literal Nazism on the grounds that they aren't allowed to like or embrace Nazism, in the same way that a group of people embraced Satanism essentially on the grounds that it was taboo and forbidden. Because a common conclusion with excessive navel gazing is, "everything I have been told not to do is wrong."

There are obvious differences, of course. As noted, Satanism is a small movement, and relatively harmless. And Nazism has roots in America whereas Satanism was created more or less whole cloth. But the analogy I was making is how young people today can and will challenge the idea that Nazis are bad on the grounds that they can't trust their own education.

This is actually what I was always led to believe was the reason for neo-nazi skinheads in Germany. It wasn't so much about white power/hating Jews as it was about rebelling against The Man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's a Republican this time.

Yeah this time it's more like WWI.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I will not shed one tear. If AHCA passes how many people has the GOP majority whip personally responsible for their deaths?

I wish he had been hit by an asteroid or stuck by lightning instead, or swallowed by a sink hole. I don't like violence. But I don't give a gently caress about him. He can go to hell.

Dude it's not about the one guy, and even if it was we shouldn't be cheering shooting people in the streets.

It's about what will touch off the powder keg, and in which direction.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Spiritus Nox posted:

Do we know if they got the dude alive?

We've heard equally confident statements both ways.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What are they switching to? "The Darkness In Which Democracy Dies"?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeh Fredersen

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't this the guy that got the Witch Hunt metaphor wrong.

and invading a castle one wrong too.

No, that was Branco.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Interesting LGBTQ angle there wrt Crystal Griner

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What does he think "conflicted" means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've often wished a celebrity would get caught on tape calling his (or her) kid a bastard

• Locked thread