Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Your Taint posted:

OP suggestion: list some credible and not so credible journalists so dumbasses like me don't have to ask if they're credible every time something is posted from Twitter, etc.

from a previous uspol

quote:

@costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
@JohnJHarwood (John Harwood, CNBC, New York Times): Has a lot of sources in the Republican Party and was the first to report on Paul Manafort leaving the Trump campaign in August 2016.
@daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
@BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
@owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
@mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
@JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
@dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
@EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
@JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
@jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
@nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
@abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
@DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
@billmon1 (Billmon)
@ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

gently caress the police

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

this is an obvious joke

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

farraday posted:

You deserve Joe Manchin as your Senator so this can't be true.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/887039371052019713

why is the president surrounded by gibson guitars?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why do you need two guitars? Isn't one guitar all you need?

I actually need all of the guitars.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

BiggerBoat posted:

Um...OK...but this is the Trump thread?

Also, can Mueller subpoena tax returns?

let's be honest, this is just uspol with a different name

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/895981907133030400

Is there a chin rubbing gif that eventually turns into a nuclear explosion?

the best fit is probably the one with the thinking face sun engulfing the earth

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

cravius posted:

-wear a frog pin and spew horrible, evil words

- hit people with a bike lock, burn down businesses, mace people

Yes, seems like a proportional response.

holy poo poo someone ban this loving idiot

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Deteriorata posted:

I'm coming to the conclusion that 8-bit scholar is actually just another idiot tankie.

he once said local governments should have their own faa or something else incredibly stupid

he's just a dumb libertarian.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i'm sorry, i was wrong. he thought the epa should be handled at the county level. the faa, in his opinion, was a regulatory organization for birds.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Aves Maria! posted:

Does every county have scientists, lawyers, and policy experts to craft environmental policy? Does every county have the resources to staff and maintain such an operation? How do you ensure a powerful company does not abuse the county apparatus?

I could go on

8 Bit Scholar posted:

How many scientists, lawyers and policy experts does it take to craft environmental policy?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Military spending is atrocious, I agree; but how do you protect labor while also "properly" tax corporations? Are you asking for higher or lower corporate taxes? Bear in mind, corporations claim that they go elsewhere and create jobs in other places because they offer better tax rates than the U.S. does; I'd say it's also because they aren't obligated to follow U.S. labor laws there. What could possibly entice them to return, knowing they'd have to pay more money to do so?

oh, word?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My initial goal was to make the case that hyperbolic criticism of Trump and the dehumanization of his supporters weakened any message opposing him. It seems to me, and still so, that a lot of those who oppose Trump's policies oppose them for superficial reasons or else fail to understand why he got the support he did and was elected at all. It was my hope to suggest that by finding common solutions that could unify people, you might be able to put your political passions towards a meaningful change of course after Trump is out of the White House.

That's where this all began, with me pointing out how absurd it is that some posters here thought huge swathes of the population are literally evil. Now that we've debated immigration a spell, I'd say it's kind of ironic that you're so adamantly in favor of protecting immigrants from being blamed for the nation's problems, yet a lot of you are just shifting that blame onto other perceived unwanted demographics. Don't you think that sort of misses the point?

feel free to explain to us what's amazing about tax cuts for billionaires and cutting medicaid

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So then, raising corporate taxes would successfully entice them to remain in country, despite the fact that even with this relatively low corporate tax rate you still see outsourcing going on at increasing volumes?

maybe the corporate tax rate on profits has gently caress-all to do with 'out-sourcing' and is rather an inevitable outcome of economic globalization where there are no controls on capital.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

QuarkJets posted:

If Trump actually wanted DACA he could have just not killed it. You do understand that, right?

look man, it was 'legally questionable'. he had no choice but to gently caress over hundreds of thousands of people.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

evilweasel posted:

its not some natural function of globalization that there are no controls on capital. we just need to stop recognizing tax havens and agree with other developed nations on an effective capital control regime. if someone claims to be controlled by an offshore company in barbados, i guess that they're now the property of the state!

i know, which is why lack of capital controls was a qualifier.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Argue all you want that Trump somehow won on the backs of an apparently massive amount of white supremacy; that didn't work this past election, but I guess if you keep insisting people you disagree with are Nazi sympathizers, the I dunno what to tell you. I can't really understand what possible definition of racist you're using here; if you are saying that any policy short of open borders is racist, then there's no possible middle ground to be made. If you're saying it is racist to deport people who are living in this country as undocumented immigrants, then I also think that's also a hard position to meet with.

why were 'whiteness' and racial resentment one of the strongest indicators of support for donald trump?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

QuarkJets posted:

These arguments mirror those made by anti-abolitionists in the 19th century: that abolishing slavery would be unfair to the already-freed slaves who had to work tirelessly to escape their former conditions.

it even undercuts the 'they have to get in the back of the line' argument you often hear. recognizing the disparity in costs for legal immigration makes it simply impossible for the kind of people that are literally jumping the border. the bottom line is that there is no line, the vast majority of illegal immigrants have no legal path to citizenship, period.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

R. Guyovich posted:

hello. i can mod the forum again. stay on topic or get probated big time.

i am also sanctioning the creation of a new uspol thread. whoever wants to can make an op and post the thing and that'll be our new wild west catchall for dumb bullshit happening in the united states. make trump-related posts in the trump thread. stop being derailing dipshits in any thread. thank you

hell yeah uspol is back baby

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm going to be perfectly loving honest here, there are occasions where I would vote for a pedophile Democrat.

It would be after deep horror and a desperate search for alternatives, but if e.g. Hillary Clinton were in fact the leader of a cannibal sex cult beneath a pizza joint, there's a pretty fair chance I'd have voted cannibal sex cult over Trump. Hillary Clinton will only murder and eat a few hundred children. Donald Trump will kill and hurt more.

why would you even make this post

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

BlackIronHeart posted:

I just turned 35 and I'm technically a Millenial according to some. I was 18 when 9/11 happened and I got to watch family members and friends from high school get shipped off to Afghanistan and Iraq. I will never vote for a Republican for as long as I live.

I was a month into my first semester at college when the stock market crashed in 2008, and I feel the same way. I’m 27, almost 28. I didn’t follow 2000, but my memory of 9/11 is clear as hell. 2004 was the first election I was fully aware of from start to finish.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Edmund Lava posted:

Not really. This is the group which would have just gained political consciousness when the Berlin Wall fell. As someone in that gap I feel it’s significant.

Also probably because grouping people by arbitrary epochs doesn’t work too well.

It definitely shouldn’t be arbitrary but there’s something to be said for coming to age at a certain point in history and what you experience and how all of that shapes you.

I think it was the nytimes, but I’m not totally sure - there was a cool chart that shows how people’s political attitudes were shaped during their 20s and remains fairly sticky throughout their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Party Plane Jones posted:

That's this thread basically, USPOL thread is so awful I stopped doing rounding up tweets specifically for it

your roundups are one of the best things about the thread, please never stop doing them.

• Locked thread