Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
There's been lots of bad news today! Apparently the government can't do math!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

I am SO going to buy this if that's the case.

How are you going to get a tiger into missourah though

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

God drat it Comey

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Really? Trump may launch a strike on North Korea? If that happens. what then?

It seems unlikely

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Lote posted:

I know about the saying of "Never get involved in a land war in Asia" but has anyone ever tried two land wars in Asia? Sometimes you have to go deeper into the cave to dig yourself out.

My experience in Minecraft corroborates this. Accelerate!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Did Sessions think he could just recuse himself and everything would be cool?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Asking/joking/a cry for help for the 3rd time : I'm going to lose my insurance aren't I?

I'm sorry that your country let you down.

If you survive the next four years, take solace that the AHCA will be a strong loving case for single-payer.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Trump Megathread II: Discord should always be civil

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Ah, it is fake, apparently the signature is wrong.

Still funny though!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Poe's Law or No's Law, there's no shame in getting got by a gag.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

So can the GOP just hold the rest of the country (and in some ways, the world) hostage forever? It doesn't seem sustainable.

The country's not being held hostage - all these folks were elected.

But to answer your actual question the answer is likely yes, barring a reform of your electoral system

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Youuuuuu must be a youngsterrrrrr :allears:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm 34. I don't understand what his sentence means in relation to my request.

I THINK that he was replying to the assumption that voting habits remain stable throughout life. IE, since young folks skew Dem eventually the old folks that skew GOP die off and then Dems take over. And his reply suggested that since the same generation that contained hippies is now voting for republicans, that the stability of political preference is not something I should assume.

I think, anyways. That's also wrong - it overstates the size of the hippy movement (not everyone in the 60s and 70s was a hippy) and it ignores the data surrounding the stability of partisan preference over time.

But I'm assuming a lot out of a sentence that doesn't actually say any of those things explicitly, so I said "...what?" because I didn't understand his sentence.

edit: Oh it's a movie quote. I'm still a little lost. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean I'm a youngster. Unless that's ALSO a movie quote.

The Age of Aquarius is an astrological concept beloved by the Haight-Ashbury crowd. It describes a utopian age of heightened consciousness and unity for all humans, where war and greed lose all meaning and everyone coexists in a totally groovy way, man.

Anyway if the old hippies ran the world it's be pretty far out.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yes. That is what I was referring to. Not the 40-year-old virgin song. *Sigh*

I'm actually not *that* old but my grandma had some old hippy stuff at her house from the '60s.

I absolutely could not determine what was factiousness and what was ignorance in this derail

Edit:

Sheesh, of loving course he was. Why am I surprised

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

TheBalor posted:

That was also based on an astronomical miscalculation. We were entering the Age of Ares, not the age of Aquarius.

That explains why I'm not currently wearing gossamer robes and sharing my free love on a bed of wildflowers right now.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The folks who are clutching their pearls over a C-list comedian's political statement are the same folks who thought Michael Brown got what was coming to him so I'm not sure where the moral bar is anymore.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

I'm nowhere near as concerned or freaked out about the Paris agreement as a lot of people will be. It was incredibly weak and almost worthless in the first place.

There is no enforcement mechanism or penalty, all you agree to do is set a target, measure CO2 levels, and if you fail, explain why. We could literally say "our unemployment is too high and we need more jobs, so we just didn't feel like it was worth meeting our targets. Sorry, maybe next time."

Unfortunately it reinforces the idea that Americans think they're the only real people on the planet.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Blitz7x posted:

The climate is hosed my dude. We should have started turning away from the iceberg a long time ago.

But, I don't use central heating too much during the winter, don't use A.C. in the summer. I recycle, take short showers and walk to the shops. I bought a low flow toilet and LED bulbs, and I buy local produce as much as possible. Surely I can save the planet!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Can you do me a favor and stop taking showers, I want to water my almond orchard
ps: stop flushing the toilet too plz

But I will get fired from my job at the fracking factory if I'm smelly!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Reason 1) It's directly cheaper, since we wouldn't pay for those degrees
Reason 2) I kind of feel like paying for false hopes is not awesome. I have a quarter million in law school debt and I never really got to be a real lawyer (I mean technically I am, I passed the bar and I'm "licensed to practice" but I never got a job in it). So, I'm informed by the experience of wasting several years of my life on something that wasn't going to lead to a career, and law is certainly more viable than most artistic careers. I'd also seek to improve K-12 education so arts and humanities are covered considerably better.
Reason 3) It's also probably indirectly cheaper. The costs of those programs would come down because they wouldn't have free government money flowing into them. The student loan programs are part of the reason education prices have climbed so high, since it's free money for them and feels like free money for an 18 year old (they learn later it isn't!). Leaning those programs could have spillover effects into the job related programs we would pay for directly. I worked in university payroll about 12 years ago and administratively things were quite bloated, with enormous management salaries. This is tenuous, though, so it's a distant 3rd.

Are the best artists the university educated ones? Is that even really necessary for art? Legitimate question.

I too agree that noble pursuits like art and history are best left to the landed gentry. What use has a serf for Manet?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Oh

gently caress

Look at this guys. LOOK AT IT

Santorum: If sun, they why clouds???

Your country is doomed

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

And when you get a divorce you what? Get a new drivers license, get a new library card? You STOP being Jewish?!?!?

Lay off Ivanka. She's a loving show dog. She has loving papers, dude.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Ballz posted:

They seriously saw "Man wins election after bodyslamming reporter one day earlier" and concluded it was a winning strategy.

The poor bastards, God help them if the media starts doing journalism.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Night10194 posted:

You know, if we default on our debt and destroy the global economy, before I die in the mad max wasteland I'm gonna have myself a sensible chuckle about how loving stupid businessmen are for having supported a massively destabilizing incompetent rear end in a top hat in hopes of tax cuts.

I'll call myself Lord Skipmungus and lead a band of blood-craved cannibals as we eat everyone who makes more than $100,000 per year.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Ekster posted:

What is this 'Snowden' thing??

I dunno some nerd hacker poo poo I guess? They made a movie about it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Or Spicer could be subtly setting Trump up for future pain due to having to endure this poo poo.

I want to say he's been instructed not to second guess the president, which is why those idiot gibberings "speak for themselves."

On another topic, I'm already prepared to be disappointed by Comey again. He seems venal.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Triskelli posted:

It is by far the most influential game of the last decade. Try it out and try building a house with a fireplace.

Make a giant golden bull that poops a constant stream of magma.

Ah actually there's my evening taken care of

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I just want to make sure I get this:

Russia plants some story about Qatar badmouthing president chump.

Chump says "yeah these Qataris are bad news what jerks. Let's get am!"

Saudi says "heh Yeah, those jerks... spreading extremism... heh"

Result: more instability in the middle east?

Edit: I apologise for walking into this movie halfway through but I am finding it real hard to keep all this straight in my head.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Lote posted:

Qatar gets hosed. They lose oil production / have to devote resources to fixing its economy. Saudi Arabia profits from the instability.

Good heavens.

Do you ever get the feeling like you just stepped sideways out of your own body? Like, how is this real? How could a country get denounced over an unverified news story?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Starting to think Saudi Arabia is a pretty crummy geopolitical actor

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What do you want to bet Russian hackers planted this story too

Son of a biscuit they need to repeal Poe's Law

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's kind of amazing what we consider a slow news day now.

You know, considering a terrorist attack on Iran's parliament and poo poo.

Reportedly a Saudi terrorist attack (unless that was refuted while I was working)

I dunno what we were expecting. I wouldn't have expected big voluntary revelations from a committee hearing unless the committee had some solid proof

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I don't think even Iran is claiming the Saudis did it themselves. I think they're suggesting they back the group that did it.

True, forgive my oversimplification

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Nothing is going to happen.

That's what I scratched into the fortified door of my basement bunker

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Glazier posted:

Fortunately I live in a first strike city so I should never know something went wrong. I just hate to be wasting time at work when I could be doing something I want to do when the bombs drop.

That's the spirit! Way to look on the bright side.

Why not take a week's vacation soon and go ahead and do the things you want to? Camp or play video games or watch an entire TV series or go to the pet store and cuddle the baby guinea pigs.

It's totally possible to do enjoyable things in the short term without sacrificing the long term.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the
awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence. "

Huh that sounds like me on a date. Comey is ok

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I dont drink. I already eat way too much junk. I never had an SO and from the looks of things if I get one it's just someone else I'd have to defend and I don't care about animals.

Sorry, it's just that I keep seeing the same thing over and over: "there is so much to live for! Family! Friends! Pets! Travel!" What about those of us who don't have or care about ANY of those things?

Part of struggling with depression is figuring out your own answer to that question. Therapy and medication help

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Spaced God posted:

I'm stealing a goon's words, but we're hurtling towards a moment in time when the President of the United States makes an official statement on his official twitter denying his involvement with Russian Hookers.

We are in the greatest timeline. I'm calling it now.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I 100% believe that Trump never paid hookers

Stiffed em like a contractor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted: