Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

speaking of quist:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/867517225820966912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

how to lose an election:

1. hold fundraisers in dc instead of meeting with constituents
2. try to sue the state to block hikers from using a river near your property
3. assault a reporter a day before the election

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

AriadneThread posted:

is it possible to serve office from jail?

Ask Eugene Debs

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

https://twitter.com/wabermes/status/867518942939664384

if there is video, it is going to be the only thing the local media cover tomorrow

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ben jacobs is getting checked out in an ambulance

E: https://twitter.com/TGIFreddy/status/867522914970726400

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah I probably meant gay tolerance. I type faster than I think.

Also have any lapsed catholics gone back to mass recently? They've changed all the words around to make it more "accessible."

It's a 2000 year old roman death cult I want it to at least sound cool.

the new translation is awful and i hate it. it has no melody and is profoundly counter-intuitive.

also, i have no idea how this thread manages to be so consistently awful when it comes to discussions of religion.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

stone cold posted:

The new translation happened when ratzennazi was still pope I thought

the new translation was a thing that was put into motion under jp ii but was implemented under benedict

i recall some discussion about francis moving back towards the old translation, but cannot find any sources that i would consider reliable

Pellisworth posted:

The A/T christianity thread is very chill and good with lots of healthy discussion and posting silly hats.

It is a good thread.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Probably, but a single-digit win in a district that Trump carried by 20 points is not a good omen.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

twice burned ice posted:

That was cruel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0l3QWUXVho

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Man, those Framers really thought of everything

It's like they say, "As the At-Large District of Montana goes, so goes the Nation."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

this is probably fine

e: i can't see this being a problem

https://twitter.com/AP/status/867539536095662081

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 25, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

if you thought the kasowitz letter was real, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

if gianforte wins, republicans have to deal with a colleague charged with misdemeanor assault who may have to spend the first six months of his term in a county jail. he's going to enter congress universally loathed and an easy target for 2018.

i'll be happy if the democrats are within single digits in montana. there's no reason the race should be as close as it is.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Ahahahaha you're cute

likewise

e: good avatar, tho

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Demon Of The Fall posted:

He'll get nothing but high fives and that a boys from his buddies and won't spend a minute in jail

why would any congressional republican want to be associated with a guy charged with assaulting a reporter? i get that cynicism is often this thread's schtick, but it is difficult for me to imagine a world where alleged assault is a positive for a republican candidate. even if public response ends up being muted, every one of his colleagues is going to wonder when he might snap again and if he is worth spending tons of money to defend in the next cycle. at best, he gets tolerated.

game this out for me. i know that anne coulter and rush limbaugh might embrace him, because being crude is part of their brand, but endorsing attacks on journalists is still beyond the pale for most politicians and an extreme political liability. (see: bob etheridge)

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 26, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

as an addendum to my previous posts, let me just emphasize that quist is a banjo-playing political newcomer with tax problems and a tendency to put his foot in his mouth at the worst possible moments. the democratic party has spent relatively little money on this race compared to its opponents. half of the president's administration have descended upon the state to campaign for their candidate.

somehow, despite all these advantages, strategists were freaking out about a potential upset before yesterday's body slam. people should not feel disappointed even if gianforte wins, because this district was not meant to be competitive.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Queering Wheel posted:

From what I hear, he isn't weak at all. Quist has lots of good positions and seems to be well liked and has campaigned very hard all over the state for this.

i could be misremembering, as i am not a resident of montana, but doesn't quist have serious tax lien and debt-collection problems? i also remember him fumbling with the whole gun issue.

i get democrats being happy with his views, but if i were a strategist, quist would not be my first choice.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Peven Stan posted:

How's it looking for Quist?

no one has any idea because polls are open for another seven minutes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/867923135231795200

im curious how many people in that 9% would have voted for quist anyways

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

What is it with this thread and food?

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

How is Quist a weak candidate? I view him as the opposite. I view him as the best kind of Democrat candidate and the only kind of Democratic candidate that can win in rural regions outside of Clintonite Millionaires. And we all know why those suck

STAC Goat posted:

I'll defer to people who have paid more attention. The stuff I've read is that he's got no political experience or resume and troubling tax stuff, and he kind of got up on his name and we'll traveled career and campaigning. That last part obviously is good for a candidate (and good ideas are of course good as much as they mean anything without any kind of resume that they're more than words) but that earlier stuff seemed to be a bit of an unnecessary handicap that the Dems should be able to build on.

Hell, Quist could run in 2018 but with a year of focused political advocacy and be a better candidate.

But I admit I've only paid passing attention to this race so apologize if I have him all wrong.

QuoProQuid posted:

i could be misremembering, as i am not a resident of montana, but doesn't quist have serious tax lien and debt-collection problems? i also remember him fumbling with the whole gun issue.

i get democrats being happy with his views, but if i were a strategist, quist would not be my first choice.

"agrees with my individual political views" ≠ strong candidate

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I would recommend keeping Decision Desk open.

Also, it is probably going to be 4-6 hours before we know who the winner is, so don't stay up if you have things going on tomorrow.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's really weird we're collectively all basically liberals who also think guns are cool and also nuclear energy rocks. Why can't the Democrats come around on those two things? (Also we believe in strong gun control though)

i'm not any of those things?????

e: well, except maybe a supporter of nuclear energy

e2: i would also not really consider the lack of ideological diversity in this forum to be a good thing, tbqh

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

~~~don't read too much into early results either positively or negatively~~~

BiohazrD posted:

I'm dead serious, the democrats should run on a repeal stupid gun laws (Because there are a bunch!) while simultaneously putting in universal federal background checks.

most voters would tune out the first and freak out over the second

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

How to respond to Covok:

1. Don't

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I don't see how Quist wins without a massive Election Day swing in his direction

I think Democrats are going to be sour they didn't nominate a better candidate

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Did Nate Silver estimate a reasonable probability of Trump victory in 2016? :smug:

(Dems probably lose, in semi-rural loving Montana)
Yes?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

That's why the solution is to escalate and have Dems stop pretending we are.

We should be hitting back first and slapping or hitting other candidates in debates.

I try not to be hyperbolic, but this is one of the most stupid and insane proposals I have ever read in this thread.

E: The idea that the heartland somehow likes assaulting journalists is incredibly patronizing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

You realize how weak you sound and how much your enemies bask in your weakness?

Do you think Hitler got stopped by saying "oh he's killing some jews lets give up"

oh wait.

you're just a troll

nm

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

don't worry, guys. jared tells me that white house chief strategist keyser söze is really the one responsible for all this russia and fbi stuff

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

trump has been president for less than 150 days and the story is about 20 people at a single townhall in california

if you are worried about that, i'm surprised you haven't had a stroke about literally everything else in the news

e:

Josh Lyman posted:

Almost all the young people I saw interviewed after the convention who were Bernie supporters said they'd stick with him or vote Stein, and considering how we all thought Hillary had the election won, they probably voted that way.

"my friends say x" is a bad way to measure the support for anything except "what should we do for dinner tonight"

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 1, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Michael Scott posted:

You guys think the Melania thing is true?

you have zero reason to believe a series of unsubstantiated tweets from a science fiction writer that rely on an alleged anonymous source

do not use social media as the primary source of your news and information

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

no one is going to sue an obscure science fiction writer because of tweets she wrote about the first lady

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Jaxyon posted:

No talking about coal is lazy because it's clearly a dogwhistle to "good white industry jobs" and acting like it isn't is lazy as hell. Coal voters don't matter. People who are being fired up by making coal a partisan issue do.

You're not going to get Pennsylvania conservatives to vote Dem by pandering to coal because none of them work in it and the dem won't be saying the right things about the dirty brown people and abortion.

i'm glad we're now measuring human worth by the size of a person's voting bloc. next time someone complains to me about the decline of their community and their livelihood, im just going to answer "well, yeah, but mining and manufacturing is an increasingly small part of the american economy and..."

the declining quality of life in communities across west virginia, kentucky, and pennsyvlania should be a concern for americans. the democrats ignore those issues at their own peril.

Majorian posted:

What leverage does a non-binding agreement give them over the US?

i suppose that it makes other countries question u.s. commitment to any international agreement or negotiation. it is hard to work with a country when there's a chance that your work will be rendered obsolete in four years.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EwokEntourage posted:

Melania already sued a blogger for defamation this year

the blogger was published by a major tabloid newspaper. when the daily mail starts publishing stories based on this woman's twitter feed, we can talk

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pakled posted:

Couldn't Congress smother this in its crib if they wanted? No interstate compacts without consent of Congress and all.

iirc, congressional approval is only needed if the agreement would increase the power of the states at the expense of the federal government

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This feels like the lead up to another Civil War. The South grasping desperately onto another destructive yet patently antiquated institution and way of life leading to secession.

i feel like you don't know what you are talking about

TyrantWD posted:

Blue states have the victory in the bag. Just make opioids available over the counter, and the red states will kill themselves.

that's a p lovely joke, man

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the trump picture is an illustration by christoph niemanna for a newyorker article

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-fearful-and-the-frustrated

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Nazzadan posted:

I'll never turn 30, I'd rather DIE

nice try, dorian gray

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Morning Joe didn't say much of anything that wasn't in the op-ed, but I expect that the show was geared toward an audience of one.

Scarborough did relay a story from "a senior member of Congress" who called him after Trump went on a "twenty-minute rant" in front of multiple legislators about Morning Joe and Mika specifically. Scarborougha further claimed that White House aides had warned him that the president was "increasingly agitated" by Mika and talked about "blood coming out of her eyes and ears."

They also claimed that when they visited Mar-a-Lago, Trump shuffled them into his bedroom. It is a weird detail.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TBT

https://mobile.twitter.com/PTRSIH/status/807754062640934912

https://mobile.twitter.com/PTRSIH/status/807754771369230337

https://mobile.twitter.com/PTRSIH/status/807755128317087744

• Locked thread