Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
pls put https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com in OP and maybe even my https://xibanya.github.io/frontpages to help everyone popping in going "what's going on?!?!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

theflyingorc posted:

OUTSIDE of the FART pun, this doesn't even make sense

He both admits that the leakers don't exist and that Trump is committing treason. to make a fart joke

If not for the account tweeting it I would have assumed it was satire from Weird Twitter.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

unintentional, but :laugh: at "Grand Slam titles"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Isn't Merkel conservative anyway? Wouldn't Tormp be chill with her if she were a dude? I can't help but feel his anti-German leanings come down to Merkel being a strong woman that he wouldn't find useful as a sex object.

This loving year :psyduck:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Milo be trollin'. Clever, though.

Fun fact, wacky circumstance had me going out for drinks with one of the main leaders of gamergate; we got in an argument about Milo. He insisted to me that Milo was a troll and didn't believe what he was saying and offered to introduce me to him to show what a neat dude Milo was. I demurred but I sometimes wonder how the hell that would have gone down. If it had god knows there might be some lovely picture of myself like that out there.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Duke Igthorn posted:

gently caress. Rodney Dangerfield would have been the best Trump in the biography.

Did you tell him that it doesn't loving matter if he's "just trolling" or not because being a "pretend" bigot and being a real bigot are the exact same thing?

I did!

We got told to leave the bar because our voices were raised. We continued to argue outside. Then he told me very sincerely that I had a point. The next day he hosted a panel at SXSW dedicated to bitching about SJWs. :downs:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I think the leaks from the Tormp administration show that legitimacy/political capital matter a lot. That's not inherently a good or bad thing. Reminds me of how Chinese emperors claimed legitimacy through divine right, but if everyone hated their guts, they "lost the Mandate of Heaven." In other words, even in an absolutist monarchy, a ruler has to build and maintain social and political capital. For his many faults, Louis XIV understood that. The Cheeto Benito does not.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Cabbit posted:

To be fair, we've never really tested this theory against high treason, have we? I mean, I'm sure rich and powerful people in America have committed treason, but never so sloppily as this.

I'm gonna be ever so slightly optimistic and say rich and powerful people would be down with allowing the Kush to go down for this, particularly if damming proof comes out

1. power in politics and real estate is a zero sum game. If someone goes down, someone else will fill the void.

2. At the same time, you don't want to set a precedent for taking down powerful people for doing poo poo you'll probably just turn around and do

3. You also want to discourage other rich and powerful people from doing dumb poo poo like this because otherwise you'll end up with a tragedy of the commons (prole uprising)

This would be why a culture might perpetuate a strong taboo against killing a king or whatever. Even if a rival king would like his enemy to drop dead, he doesn't want the concept of killing a king to ever be considered noble because that would imperil his own position.*

*kings who counted on this taboo to save themselves were often disappointed so :shrug:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Nothus posted:

It's a real catch 22. If you allow laptops in the cabin, ISIS boogeymen will blow up the plane. If you put them in the hold, a lovely Chinese battery could catch fire and also bring the plane down.

I would pay a few extra hundos to an international carrier that let you arrange ahead of time to rent wifi time and a laptop that's been super confirmed to not be a bomb for the duration of the flight if they banned laptops.

hell I would be interested in this service now, when I've flown to far flung places for vacation there's always that dilemma, bring the laptop to do stuff on the long-rear end flight and then lug it around for a week without touching it or just suffer through the flight and have lighter bags? I always pick the latter, so being able to use an actual laptop on a plane and then ditch it would be neato.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I would the interested in bringing my laptop through US Customs now anyway, and I think if it was a work trip I would be asked not to bring my work laptop. As a non-US citizen, you don't really have the option of refusing to give up your passwords. Similarly, I'll be cleaning my phone messages and setting up fake social media accounts

As a note, it's a good practice to maintain fake social media accounts anyway, given how it makes employers feel better to be able to look you up rather than having a void where they think your profile should be. I have a professional Facebook account that's hooked up to a twitter account so I just have to tweet and it updates both places. You only have to update it like every other week and is a good place to stick acquaintances like colleagues and distant relatives.

It's easier than you think since you don't need to read anyone else's poo poo on your dupe and you can mine your updates from your real account for what to post. Repost dumb benign poo poo you've already posted. You could probably even semi-automate it.

E: should also note the Facebook apps now make switching accounts very easy when it used to be a pain, so there's no real reason to not have a squeaky clean duplicate Facebook.

EE: also to address "why not just use privacy settings on your main one," the point of the dupe is to look clean even if logged into with your own password. Obviously remove your real account from the apps before traveling.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 28, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

There Bias Two posted:

You do realize that there is a huge difference in the number of deaths from guns versus jello, right?

insert hot take about dihydrogen monoxide here

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Not a Children posted:

I grew up in the quintessential upper middle class suburban hellscape and literally nobody except the richest people in town had a 7 bedroom house you loving stooge

Counterpoint: same, but my parents house does have 7 bedrooms and so did everyone else in the neighborhood. My parents are upper middle class wealthy but they're not the kind of wealthy that makes you able to buy influence, even in local politics.

While we're bitching about rich people, don't forget that within the category of "rich," there's "can have every desired material comfort" rich and then there's "can buy off politicians" rich. Point is, Kush is in the latter category, lived like the former category.

E: it should be added that the "can have every desired material comfort" threshold is way way lower than the "can use wealth to change laws and regulations for one's own benefit" threshold. Depending on how fussy someone is, the first can be between $100k or $5 million. The latter category starts at the hundreds of millions.

someone fetch that article about how mere millionaires were starting to feel snubbed an ineffectual in politics as their donations no longer bought them as much access as they used to compared with the top 0.01% :allears:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ohh this tweetstorm feels good after not having anything super entertaining for days. Holy poo poo on Saudi Arabia's actions on Qatar though; I can't help but think this will end up another awful conflict that the US will make worse by inserting its dick.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 5, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hilariously Assange is defending Reality Winner ( :laugh: ) while Greenwald does not. I used to ask what reality was, and now I know. We all know now.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Minecraft is fun. I return to it for like two obsessive weeks once a year. It's best when you make your own goals for yourself, and you can really get in the zone and relax. It's also moddable, though I haven't messed much with that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petr posted:

Someone is going to have to explain to me in more detail why that statement means pisstapes are real because I'm not seeing it. We already knew that one reason Comey personally briefed the president was that the allegations in the report were personally embarrassing. That doesn't make them real.

Because it looks like Tormp called Comey out of the blue and started the conversation by denying being recorded in Russia with hookers. Given his behavior about other dumb poo poo, that makes it seem like he knows the piss tape is real. I actually didn't really believe it existed until I read Comey's statement. Holy hell I'm a piss tape believer now.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Am I feeling embarrassed for McCain?

disturbing if true

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
McCain didn't even seem happy to be there. If it wasn't senility I'd guess blackmail.

lol probably he's got a ton of Russian money backing him too but until recently thought he was the only one in so deep.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
This is real life so gently caress Comey, he's still a self-serving rear end in a top hat, but if this were a movie he might be my favorite character.

Everything today has been so much more entertaining than I ever dreamed was possible :allears:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
nu pot sa cred

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That can't be a real picture

https://twitter.com/janamaiuri/status/873767317103980545

still nasty tho

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

idiotsavant posted:

Time for grandpa stories!

Disturbing, if true!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Conservative media constantly harps on boogeymen and if there isn't a current one, they'll use an old favorite. That's why I hear conservatives I know IRL bitching about things D-grade celebrities did 15 years ago. It's pretty hilarious though. It's one thing if a d-lister did something recently, but still crying over poo poo from the 90's is amazing.

Out of all of this, what pisses me off the most is the conservative I see the most IRL keeps making jokes about Bill Clinton's blowjobs while handwaving what Tormp did to Ivana and his penchant for pussy grabbing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Things honestly went to crap after all the permabans

We who are left are the ones who didn't feel like going all in, it makes a certain kind of sense.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi guys! I just heard the news! Any statement from McCain on how disturbing all this is?

For semiseriousposting I'll echo others when I say I'm sure that the Rs turning on Tormp with the tweet as the nominal reason are actually doing so because they wanted to for awhile but this now gives them a relatively consequence-free opportunity.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:psyduck:

I should have known things would get weird after Reality was arrested.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Remember three years ago when Comey's testimony was the craziest poo poo in the news?

Holy poo poo I picked a hell of a day to start reading the news again.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
also gonna say looks fake as hell.

What gets me is that if I wanted to fake a letter from a kid, I would go to a real kid and dictate to them. And we know the WH staff has kids on hand, isn't that Shucks whole schtick?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

for comparison, here's some handwriting by some real eight year olds I used to work with. They were all english language learners at title 1 schools in East Austin and came from underprivileged backgrounds. Immigrant children gonna take our reasonably OK penmenship among children jobs!! :byodood: (there are some spelling errors here too, but in these kids' defense, they never had formal schooling in their native language!)

E:

because I was looking thru my old pics and these eight-year-old kids were :kimchi:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 26, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
True, if writing the letter was a class assignment, could explain why there are no creases -- the letters arrived in a big letter-sized envelope. But then it's funny because it means the kid didn't spontaneously write the letter, he had to do it as part of class.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Randbrick posted:

It's pretty typical leo racism that we focus like a laser on the MS13 while giving a free reign to the juggalos, scourge of the upper Midwest

Don't be insane, if we took out the Juggalos imagine what chaos would come from the resulting power vacuum.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Covok posted:

Why not Murder1? It certainly seemed premeditated.

Might be because he didn't intend to kill her so much as he intended to kill someone.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Covok posted:

That's a really dumb distinction to make. Like, if I just fired into a crowd randomly, I shouldn't get a lighter sentence then someone who specifically wanted to kill a particular person.

1st degree requires that the murder be premeditated, 2nd degree doesn't. For a prosecutor on this, 2nd should be a slam dunk to get. 1st would be really difficult unless the guy wrote about his intentions ahead of time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
For my own mental health, I took a few months off of reading any news at all. And now I'm back and ready for more misery! Also I've been unemployed for about a month and have no insurance and was eyeing the exchanges. What a time to get back in the swing of things.

So, I'm glad I set my frontpages tool to continue on even while I took a sabbatical. Happy to see peeps still enjoying my second greatest contribution to USPol. My first greatest of course was adding Covoking to the SAclopedia. :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Addressing something from a few pages ago but I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that both the FBI and the CIA hate Trump. I can’t imagine how much worse things would be if they loved him instead.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Pakled posted:

lol at everyone who sold their soul to support Roy Moore and got nothing from it

Years from now they’ll claim they never supported him. Some will even convince themselves of it. But most will never forget. They’ll live with that for the rest of their days.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Crabtree posted:

It's just unfortunate that this word is probably going to become even more prevalent by racists in response of another "how come they can say it but not MEEEE!".

I own a Maine Coon and I always feel weird saying the name of the breed because you only ever see “Coon” in a racist context otherwise (I’ve really only heard people say raccoon for raccoon despite living in Texas.) fortunately it’s not like I have to say it often but every now and then a friend will come over and say “wow your cat is so big and fluffy, what is he?” Can’t think of too many other slurs that have an innocent usage that anyone could use in modern day. That’s my story about words that are racist sometimes and not racist other times, thanks for listening.

I checked on the unofficial Drudge twitter (the one that aggregates headlines, not the one of the guy who runs the site and always deletes his tweets) but in the days leading up to the vote was mainly quiet on Moore except for an article that mentioned Moore thought homosexual behavior ought to be illegal. I suspect Matt Drudge privately disliked Moore but wouldn’t dare actually have anything negative on him otherwise. Drudge is scum of the highest order and seems to only selectively give a poo poo about gay rights (probably he’s too rich and white and male for most homophobia to affect him) but that was at least one RWM outlet that wasn’t pedo apologia.

I’m seeing two camps forming on the result of this vote on the right. 1. :byodood: Voter fraud! 2. Moore? Who’s that?

Sheesh a loving win, I’m still processing it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
That’s the one hilarious thing of right wingers constantly accusing everyone on the left of always doing nefarious schemes to get ahead — they end up believing that it’s just as easy as their shrieking talking heads make it seem and then get caught like morons. I’m gonna call out Mark Levin as being a particularly egregious far right pundit in this regard; his sole purpose seems to accuse everyone to the left of him of doing evil illegal things at all times. (He’s the one Trump got the “Obama wiretap” nonsense from.)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Ripoff posted:

You leave Master Shake out of this you son of a bitch. :mad:

Back when I posted daily in the RWM thread it was established that I’m a dual wielding ranger and have Mark Levin as my favored enemy.

He’s another interesting case to cite for how the right wing inteligencia (such as they are) don’t have the same media consumption habits as the rabble. You can bet Levin, David French, and others of their ilk are checking NYT, WaPo, WSJ, even as they turn around and call them fake news. Levin’s site will frequently cite CNN and NYT as sincere sources if they back whatever axe he has to grind. I just don’t see that on the left. The dem leaders read the NYT, I read the NYT. We’re reading the same news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

empty whippet box posted:

I like that nobody even bothers for a single second ever thinking rubio might do anything but vote for whatever garbage is vomited onto his desk by the death god the republican party worships. Even when he's trying desperately to signal 'maybe I'm a no! give me attention and also money!' it just doesn't even register at all.

Rubio’s like the McCain 2.0. Such a maverick :allears:

• Locked thread