Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

I want to believe this is true but Obama came in under a big anti-Bush backlash and 2 years later the Democrats lost Congress to a bunch of Tea Party morons.

I don't think the Trump stain on the GOP is going to be as durable as people think it is once they're out of power.

the GOP's internal instability has been going on for a while, the ascension of trump is itself a byproduct of the GOP's internal power struggle between the saneish corporate wing and the nutbar populists. any political party in control of its internal processes would not have allowed trump to win its primary, and he got very lucky in an extraordinarily narrow electoral victory over hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aves Maria! posted:

It would seem that, at least in young independents, this natural appeal of Trump does not apply at all. If we're going off actual information about political beliefs.

i'd say there's space for a lot of white millennials to be left leaning but inherently conservative - they've been told to support closed borders, a strong military etc. and associate those things with american patriotism, and where they personally see the merit in a strong social safety net and proactive government action, they can't reconcile that with historic trajectories in xenophobic and white supremacist american society. and, being plugged into the internet so hard, are real easy to sway with arguments against SJWs and screeching reeeeeee feminists

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aves Maria! posted:

hmmm yes, im sure your condescension is due to your fukkin extreme knowledge of politics. thanks bro

yeah, but this is making a lot of assumptions that you couldn't possibly support with data. which is that millennials that identify as independent have a tendency to be dem leaners and not archconservatives. and I think it's hard to say if that's because they're nominally socially liberal and actually conservative or bc they're like much of the DSA-types that don't register as dems because they are way to the left of the party.

i can't support it with data, no, but imo a lot of the left-leaningness of millenials is because it is so far the least white generation in american history, and a lot of even the rural white millenials who would totally be conservatives in a bubble are somewhat exposed to left politics, for better or worse - such as, supporting jobs training and low cost trade education, while also hating black lives matter

the undercurrent of american rural leftism is always grappling with racial identity. like a hundred years ago america was poised to support a welfare state, so long as those lazy mooching blacks weren't coddled etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
imo a contributor to the idea that "old people are conservative" is that liberal people tend to die younger through free living and substance abuse

i had two grandfathers, one long dead and one still living. my long dead grandfather was a gambler and a drunk who was shot by the county sheriff's son in a poker game gone wrong. my living grandfather is a financial and moral tightwad who ticks along on sheer righteousness alone, he's also very wealthy at this point from stubborn refusal to ever spend an unnecessary dime. he was telling me recently about how he still wears the same leather belt he bought in 1958, and he regularly donated his christmas gifts to charity because in his mind he obtained all the material goods he ever needed in the 1970's

one of the surefire ways to live into your 80s and above is to have No Fun

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 31, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skylined! posted:

fwiw that sort of low effort annoying and useless garbage shitposting should warrant a probate

really the thread should just be closed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did he ever declare the opioid crisis an emergency? Remember him hyping that up for months.

technically he did just before halloween but there was next to no followup or expanded spending or what have you, things that are necessary to actually take action

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skylined! posted:

i don't believe there is anything that legally compels a president to release the info found in the exam

correct, as usual trump is bucking the conventions which are all based on the assumption that the potus would never be an insane piece of poo poo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pseudorandom name posted:

That doesn't stop Awful.app from choking on every single Trump thread page load.

:smug:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Waltzing Along posted:

Wasn't sure where to look so I will ask here:

What is going on in Puerto Rico? I googled it and just got a bunch of stuff from October. Have things gotten back to normal there yet?

progress is being made, but it's very slow. tons of the islands infrastructure was wrecked which means they need to rebuild it all at once, in the middle of a debt crisis, with next to no help from the federal government

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

What states are they primarily moving to? Besides Florida, obviously

florida and new york, generally

florida is the better state, a few hundred thousand pissed off puerto ricans voting in the midterms and 2020 general should help tip things

e: florida is a pretty poo poo state, i mean, a better state int erms of political impact

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
texas also i would guess. basically anywhere with a large extant spanish speaking population and/or puerto rican community. i strongly doubt large groups of puerto ricans are moving to the snow belt in winter

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

I believe it’s been mentioned before that North Korea’s conventional artillery is unlikely to be able to do a vast amount of damage to Seoul. If they chuck a nuke across the border, though...

yup

a north korean conventional strike out of the blue would do some significant damage but all of the "the country would be LEVELED" hysteria relies on the south korean military basically not existing let alone taking even the most basic counterbattery measures, and it turns out that south korea also has a massive military with modern technology who has been gaming their response to this exact scenario for the last half century

like, south korea isn't going to just sit there and get shelled until the UN comes riding to the rescue. north korea has fairly antiquated artillery, where the south has modern touches like drones and precision guided munitions which will make any north korean bombardment rapidly get shut down

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Archonex posted:

No one said the country would be leveled.

you did

Archonex posted:

South Korea would get loving wrecked. Even if Seoul has a bomb shelter in every building it doesn't mean that large portions of the country won't be leveled. The international community probably won't like that.

shut up

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GWBBQ posted:

Bottom line, you're still looking at 50,000 to 200,000 dead and hundreds of thousands more injured,

i think that's a bit high also, but otherwise agreed

north korea can't do substantial damage to south korea without making some odd decisions that would end in the destruction of the north korean state, like using nuclear weapons or some kind of irrational mass suicide charge

Archonex posted:

And the fact that you want to get pedantic over your own personal definition of what I said is honestly kind of dumb as hell.

im sorry that you're embarrassed i pointed out you're being hysterical and also that you can't remember your own argument between subsequent posts, but further posting on this topic is pointless

north korea has no capability to destroy seoul short of nuking it, which they wont do. put down the tom clancy fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

7c Nickel posted:

That was still enough of a deterrent for them to hang on until they got their nukes in a row.

the real deterrent is that if north korea collapses, nobody wants to be liable for the cleanup and refugees. the nation is sort of holding itself hostage

iirc germany still faces economic and cultural trouble from a much briefer and less substantial division, a unified korea would be far worse in terms of baggage imo

• Locked thread