Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Really, it's symbolic for Trump's style in general: his tricks work the first time because they're unexpected; once everyone knows them they fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rigel posted:

"JAPAN BOMBS HAWAII!"

pfft, weak, come on what's the real news?

I'm worried the press will go back into clickbait headline mode and instead it'd be:

*YOU WON'T BELIEVE* WHAT JAPAN DID LAST NIGHT

Lote posted:

Let's Play, Watergate! - The Game

Rankings:
  • S: Impeachment + Removal Ending

• A: Resignation: President Nixon Ending

• B: Impeachment: President Johnson Ending

• C: Impeachment: President Clinton Ending

• D: Censure / No Impeachment: Bad Ending

• F: Nothing! President Obama Ending. You've completed your term in office. Enjoy your vacation in the South Pacific.

Now I'm legit picturing someone putting this together as a visual novel where by choosing who to romance along the way you get different endings.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

For the current administration the lack of a FBI head for a while is considered a feature, not a bug.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

evilweasel posted:

There is a head of the FBI, it's the acting director, and he will stay head of the FBI until someone is confirmed.

You know, that, I know that, but the administration party line will be "In this contentious time *insert whatever comes up* should move forward until we've confirmed the real director" and that's all they need to say to the base.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

The first order of business since retaking control of government is to yank healthcare away from the people who vote often, and vote for them in overwhelming numbers. Between the AHCA and Trump's budget, the GOP seem to be incredibly eager to put the Democrats back in power.

These people voted them in with the GOP promising to do exactly this; do you really think this will change their minds?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Maybe Trump finally found the light switch and he's playing with it like a toddler?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

mynnna posted:

You know how there was that article...somewhere, I can't for the life of me recall where...a few years ago that was a look into how the tea party was basically a huge grifting operation, sucking craploads of money out of gullible idiots?

You're thinking of this one, probably: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, remember that Trump's idea of "renegotiation" is taking a hundred million dollar loan from a bank, losing it, then sitting down with the bank to "renegotiate" and basically telling them that if they don't forgive a huge portion of the loan, he is declaring bankruptcy, which means they get none of the money back. Then spinning the whole thing as "see? this way, everyone benefits. the art of the deal!"

If he stays President, I can bet there will be three years private communications with EU and others promising he'll rejoin the Paris agreement in exchange for some trade concession or something else equally petty/showy he can use to prove he's a super-negotiator. It won't work (please please please let me be right) but I'm sure he's seeing this as "creating leverage".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Anyone who sees a silver lining in this is dead wrong. A government that's ever more isolated from the people they represent is going to be even less responsive to the needs of the people than they are now.

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/875020846846357504

Looks like they can cancel all those pesky town halls!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Alter Ego posted:

Yes, Donald. Taunt the special prosecutor, by all means.

1) Taunt special prosecutor
2) Demand special prosecutor recuse himself because he doesn't like you after all the nasty things you've said

Believe it or not, this was attempted back in the day by Rob Ford (Toronto's crack smoking mayor) versus Bill Blair (Toronto's police chief) investigating said crack smoking and organized crime connections. I don't think it worked, but it was tried by another unhinged guy not qualified for his elected post against corruption charges, so it'd fit.

Javes posted:

Whenever the democrats retake the Congress it would be nice to have some of these governmental norms that we've apparently taken for granted codified into law. Trump has shown us that any norm or formality not explicitly law will be abused.

Basically this. The USA can't rely on norms, decorum and "well, nobody would *actually* do that" anymore. If your rules require congress to agree the rules apply to you, then they're not rules.

Trump is a guy playing Monopoly arguing that the rules don't explicitly say cheating isn't allowed, so he can just take money from the bank. And when he's caught, he can point out there's nothing in the rules about punishing people who get caught cheating, so what are they gonna do? Congress is the rest of the players realizing they need this guy for the ride home, so they can't just ban him.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Can we talk about trump going to Paris after the G20 summit because it doesn't make any sense at all.

He basically cancelled his england trip because of how much he'd be protested, and the technical prime minister of england has embraced him as a friend.

Macron went out of his way to humiliate him, both in public and behind closed doors with other leaders, and the french will build barricades if he goes into Paris.

I think he just scheduled it so he could cancel at the last minute and be a dick.

I like to think he's been assured that his visit will be only exposed to supporters and dignitaries, and at some point he'll be faced with hundreds of thousands of protesters jeering him and Marcon shrugging it off as "free speech". Probably not, but who knows, it's not like Macron has to pretend they're best buds.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Did we mention this loving insane NRA ad that all but calls for the murder of protestors?

http://www.theroot.com/nra-recruitment-video-labels-the-left-violent-snowflake-1796479650

I can't find a way to embed the loving thing, but it's nuts. It's the purest attempt at American political propaganda I've seen in a long time.

https://www.facebook.com/NRA/videos/1605896562755373/

So the NRA saw the leaked facebook guidelines for moderation and built a video specifically designed to stop just short of it. Jesus Christ...

I think I understand why facebook made those guidelines a secret - to stop poo poo like this.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He has to order rosenstein to fire Mueller. if he refuses then trump has to fire rosenstein. Trump then has to keep going down the line of authority until he gets to someone who will fire Mueller. Its exactly what happened in the Saturday Night Massacre. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Massacre

I mean, if you're going to try and bury the firing of Mueller, doing it on the 4th of July weekend where any protests will be called "unpatriotic" is the way to go, so...

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

My friends was getting a top secret clearance and I was interviewed, they asked me what nations did he represent in model UN and asked me to explain the nature of some of our dungeons and dragons campaigns.

We all know that one guy we started to distance ourselves from because their RPG characters always ended up being serial child killers or something.

Or kept insisting they play the Nazis on board game night, which really stands out when you're playing Settlers.

GOOCHY posted:

Confirmed - the artist was wearing "They Live" sunglasses.

Someone really needs to give Ralph Steadman some cash to do the illustration for White House press briefings.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

Man, I'm starting to get the idea that McConnell is floating full repeal as a way of pressuring HIS OWN CAUCUS into voting for repeal/replace... like that was some kind of brilliant chess move.

"Oh, you guys think repeal and replace is bad, how about we just loving blow it all up!"

... never realizing that he wouldn't have the votes for that poo poo either.

I'm assuming the closed door logic is this: If we repeal it, the Democrats will be forced to vote along with any replacement, no matter how lovely, because at least it gives some insurance. That way, we can pass a token lovely replacement and hang half of it on them or else next election we're going after all of them with "they didn't want you to have health care".

It's dumb, but I can imagine some form of twisted logic like that. Leave them with Sophie's Choice - vote for a terrible bill that gives a few people healthcare, or nothing.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Kylra posted:

Wait, so all I need to do for free birth control is find a crime with a maximum 30 day jail sentence to commit in White County? Finally, Republicans are on board with providing birth control to women.

Vasectomy, not tubal ligation. Men aren't whores for wanting birth control, only women are.

Edit: my bad, also gives women an implant. So at least it's equal opportunity eugenics. Women only get temporary control, men can keep it forever unless surgically reversed.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 20, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Obama's WH interns, for comparison:

Does Trump even have a professional photographer or is it some nephew of a business associate that they handed a cell phone to and said "take the picture"?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Red Baron posted:

They're just going to prop up his corpse in the Senate with sunglasses on a la "Weekend at Bernie's" and hope no one notices.

I'm waiting for them to try and come up with a "proxy" vote for him to sign that says "Until I've got a replacement, assume I say yes to everything Trump wants, even if I remain terribly concerned the entire time".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Rad Russian posted:

LOL if McCain ends up being the deciding vote for YES and then dies a few weeks later. Literally rolled into the grave while flipping off the poors.
This is the thing he'll be remembered for.

I hope McCain's family has to pay extra to clean up the piss and poo poo that will end up on his grave from this.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

farraday posted:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll413.xml

Amash
Duncan (TN)
Massie

Rohrbacher actually voted yes

If you're worried he's compromised and could take down your entire party by proving it, a veto-proof majority shoves that possibility under the rug. Unless he goes to 11 and starts complaining that a veto-proof bill is unconstitutional or something.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Aves Maria! posted:

i hope the cancer takes him

and Trump too

That's a really awful thing to wish on cancer.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Congress says no to him
Senate says no to him
AG says no to him
FBI says no to him
Supreme court says no to him
So Trump's left with barking orders at the military

I gotta wonder if any top brass have started to have the conversation of "but what if we need to say 'no' to him too?"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

hanales posted:

One time when he was tired he said 57 states.

Another time he wore a tan suit.

Quite scandalous.

You forgot the time Fox News was extremely concerned by his use of a cheap binder clip to hold together legislation he was holding. As was the New York Post.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know I'm late as hell with this (this thread is murder to keep up with) and everyone is probably well sick of it by now, but one things screams out at me from that stupid letter:

If your kid was going to send a letter to the President of the United States of America and you were a die-hard Trump supporter, wouldn't you make them rewrite the drat letter and fix all the spelling errors and scribbled out mistakes?

I mean, the "kid" even hosed up spelling Trump's name.

You're making some very big assumptions about the intellect of the parents, especially given the viewpoints of the kid.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Kind of?

Transgender Service Members Can Stay in the Military for Now, Pentagon Official Says
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/transgender-military-trump-ban.html

It's more like they need actual, specific commands to implement, and there's been no suggestion that they'll get them.

So the answer is bury him in paperwork and hope he loses interest in filling out the forms before Bannon just crafts an executive order for someone else to do this for him.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

The Groper posted:

Senator Kid Rock means the GOP abandons all principles beyond "get drunk, shoot guns in the air, troll liberals"

The GOP had three Senators listen to their constituents and read enough to decide to say no to the party line on health care; that was three too many. Celebrities who do what they're told and are too dumb to ask for kickbacks are exactly what the party is looking for.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Office Pig posted:

As funny as it is to see Scaramucci getting booted off the island, I don't think it's a good sign that John Kelly is positioning himself as top dog in the White House, especially to the extent that he can get Trump to fire his favorite hire almost immediately.

He probably told him that Mooch was getting more photos on the front page than Trump since he got the job, and that was all he needed to set off his ego.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Is he seriously gonna try this?

I almost picture Trump signing the bill quickly and then pointing out he wrote "NOT" in front of the Russian sanctions part.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

My Twitter Account posted:

I'm almost positive I saw the "added later" argument there within the past couple of days.

edit: a cursory googling of the_donald statue "added later" reveals that they have had threads about it.
Give it a few weeks, someone will find his Reddit ID.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Crows Turn Off posted:

Are we just assuming he's announcing something about the CSRs because he's been talking about them recently?

I mean, it's Trump, it could be anything. Like when he waited nine minutes between tweets just to say he hated transgendered people in the military.

I'm pretty sure by now his strategy is that the more announcements like this he makes, the longer reporters have to speculate and camp out wait for it instead of actually finding still more things wrong with his presidency.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

I'm trying to pick out the stupidest possible thing this ends up being

My second guess right now is that he lost his wallet and smoke used it in a crime

"I'm sorry sir, you reverse-engineered the malware, and reverse-engineering is a violation of the DMCA"

Or the malware authors found his his bitcoin wallet/bank info and deposited a few bucks in there for lulz because he helped them improve their security.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Ol Standard Retard posted:

To be fair he's British. This is probably the first time he's been in the US's jurisdiction since they made whatever case.

And they probably waited until he was leaving to watch and keep track of who he met while there too.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Zero_Grade posted:

Man all this trash talking of Russian cuisine. Their soup game is on point - y'all must've never had a good bowl of solyanka, shchi, or xarcho (ok fine, xarcho is technically Georgian). I mean, pelmini are basically ravioli and I don't think it's possible to hate ravioli.

:circlefap:

Maybe my family is secretly Russian, but most recipes I see from those parts elicit a reaction of "okay, it's beef and vegetable soup", only they add sour cream on top. Solyanka sounds different and tasty, though; I'll have to give that one a try.

Come to think of it, mom does make some sort of borscht so who knows, maybe I was compromised a long time ago.

Or if you get caught making malware, strike a deal so your name is redacted and say the other guy made it and was behind it all.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Condiv posted:

i thought coke zero was already supposed to taste more sugary like coke

Coke Zero was supposed to get men to drink low-calorie beverages, because men have historically avoided soft drinks with the word "diet" in them. Hence the black label.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

coyo7e posted:

Probably shameless flattery hoping to convince Mueller to drop it.

Don't forget a few tips that for equal time he should be investigating Hillary for *insert Breitbart laundry list here I'm too lazy to look up*

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also leaving South Korea a smoking ruin, and destroying whatever global credibility the United States had remaining as an ally and/or champion of democracy.

Just imagine the barely-disguised glee that Putin would have at the UN demanding full sanctions against the US for that.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Has North Korea even threatened to use nuclear weapons recently? The threat of a missile strike in the waters near Guam doesn't automatically mean nuclear weapons.

Thus far it is mainly the US threatening the use of nuclear weapons, right?

Yes, but when the missile is "intercepted" they can say it contained whatever they want it to contain and was targeting whatever is politically expedient. Then Trump gets to play with his toys.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

evilweasel posted:

this is dumb

tons of countries have the capability to track icbm lanches and determine their trajectory (because of that whole cold war thing) and nuclear isotopes would leave an incredibly obvious signature if they were on a missile that was intercepted and blew up that everyone would be able to verify or disporove

also, it is dumb because we'd probably fail to intercept the missile

Thankfully we've never had a GOP-led US government lie about WMDs in order to justify a war before.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Translation: As long as my ideology is in power I'll demand the rule of law. The moment this changes I'll talk about keeping powder dry, watering the tree of liberty with blood and how armed standoffs against laws we disagree with are okay.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Crabtree posted:

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/897188371264655360

No they're going to try a March on Google. Yeah, attack one of the world's biggest companies nazis. I'm sure you fuckers will contain yourselves for your precious "free speech" to scream death to everyone that isn't white, short and fat.

I'd love to see that rally filled with thousands of left-leaning protesters displaying their powers of free speech just to see the tantrum of "NO, NOT THAT FREE SPEECH, OUR FREE SPEECH".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I await the alt-right Weird Al with great anticipation

Ray Stevens took up that mantle a while ago:

Here's his opus about voter fraud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUEqh07E4dY
His take on Obama (okay, one of many): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFaCytKXOSQ
His take on climate science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORyzsMZPPUg

There's a bunch buried in his channel. Kinda sad mister "Everything is Beautiful" took that path.

• Locked thread