Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

good to know donald trump is still considered a senior administration official

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

two fun facts that you might not be aware of:

1) a business cannot plead the 5th
2) michael flynn, traitor, owns a business that he likely conducted his treason through

do you know who else knows these fun facts?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/867121312858353664

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

We can't have a history-making week in politics every week...

I thought that too, and then the Post dropped another big one last night.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

What was the Post drop? I actually work and sleep and do other things sometimes and don't catch everything

(a) Trump asked his CIA and NSA head, personally, to deny that there was any collusion
(b) Trump's aides asked the CIA and NSA if they could make Comey shut down the investigation

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i am starting to wonder if hannity is having a glenn-beck esque mental collapse where the mask finally started wearing him and he really just needs a straitjacket and a padded cell

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Today's leak. It's just Trump Is A Bad President not Trump Is The Worst Criminal Of All Time:

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/867155091089960961

quote:

Trump’s call with Duterte, during which he extended an invitation to visit him at the White House, was met with skepticism from some foreign policy analysts and human rights groups. Since taking office in June, Duterte has moved to hedge on the Philippines’ long-standing defense alliance with the United States by establishing closer relations with China. And his administration has overseen a brutal extrajudicial campaign that has resulted in the killings of thousands of suspected drug dealers.

Trump has not spoken out against that strategy, and in their call he praised Duterte for doing an “unbelievable job on the drug problem.”

“Many countries have the problem, we have the problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that,” Trump said, according to the transcript.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Democrats have won two state legislative elections in districts that went for Trump:

https://twitter.com/NYWFP/status/867201289888960512

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/867174605693255684

(for clarity, in New York you can run as a nominee of multiple parties, she's a nominee of the democrats AND the working families party)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

Religious businesses are scams far more often than non-religious ones.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Legit, Donald Trump thinks if you make nice with him you're his friend. Then if you talk bad about him he thinks you betrayed him. He displays this cycle all the time, most obviously with Obama.

Dude's brain is that of a child's.

hell hillary said one seemingly nice thing to him in a debate and he suddenly went all buddy-buddy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

Why waste the money? This ad buy is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the coverage the CBO score will get. Forget cable news and national newspapers, healthcare is going to be the lead story for every local news affiliate in every market in the country.

It's more about helping Ryan by showing he's helping his caucus, even if that help doesn't do anything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

The healthcare plan is not helping his caucus. It's doing the opposite. It had a 17% approval before they made it worse to get the HFC on board. Ryan spent his entire time as speaker telling anyone who would listen to go to the GOP website to see his amazing healthcare plan that would provide better healthcare to more people for less money, so while a lot of Republicans may be waiting for the Obamacare repeal, I don't think they are eager about replacing it with something worse, that even harms their employer-based plans.

I know that. Hence the token $2m advertising, to try to make it seem like he's helping them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think they were in the "should have known" category. McConnell and Ryan had enough evidence -- hell, us posting here -- had enough evidence pre-election to strongly suspect Trump had Russian ties. But if you don't WANT to believe it, you aren't going to, and they had every reason to not want to.

They were literally given the evidence by the Obama Administration and McConnell told Obama if he went public with it McConnell would claim he was trying to interfere in the election.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why didn't Obama say "gently caress you McConnell you would claim that anyway, this is real"

Because he couldn't release the evidence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drone posted:

At what point did decorum finally and truely die within the Republican party? Ford?

Edit: It's Lincoln isn't it.

Joe McCarthy, probably.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

This feels a little embarrassing to ask, but what specifically did Joe Lieberman do that everyone hates him? I live in CT and it seems like literally everyone in the state despises him.

Killed the public option, campaigned against Obama and for McCain, endorsed Michael Flynn as national security advisor, general scum.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

Is that today?

Yes. And Montana special election is tomorrow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Right, and Paul Ryan is on tape talking about how Trump's paid by the Russians. But if you're in denial you're in denial.

I mean that it's less then pretending to themselves it's not happening and more making their peace with it for political power.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

Quist better spend the next 24 hours blanketing the state with the CBO score. If you can't win off the immediate reaction to that, you might as well give up trying to win these seats.

He is campaigning on health care as his closing message.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867381637675454466

lookin forward to must-see c-span

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy and why is he getting interviews?

A friend of Comey, and he's getting interviews because he'll talk on the record while nobody else will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I mean she was impressed with him at one point in her life which doesn't reflect well on her since he's never been anything other than oafish buffoon.

She's always seemed pretty eyes-open about the deal she's effectively struck so it really all comes down to the prenup and what she gets for her ten years of loyal service as soon as she's replaced with a younger model.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Trump's budget director being unable to count is the icing on the cake of this stupid administration. Good thing these dumb fuckers are so stupid or else we'd be in a lot deeper poo poo. They're literally too dumb to enact their evil plans.

I actually believe him when he says he did it on purpose, I just don't believe he meant to say that out loud. He's the poster child of "run up giant deficits, use giant deficits to argue we must cut spending, repeat". He wants to claim the budget balances while blowing a massive hole in it so that social security and medicare have to be cut to fill it in later on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

I can't believe Comey has any further contact with this person. This seems so scummy.

Depends on if Comey is wink wink nudge nudge don't say anything about this in public to him. It seems pretty clear Comey deliberately set up a bunch of the leaks when he told his friends "don't talk about this WHILE I AM DIRECTOR OF THE FBI but Trump...", so it's really a question of if he's actually doing what Comey wants or if he's pissing him off.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

She probably was about to serve him divorce papers and signed a contract to stay on if he won the presidency and she figured that was easy money and signed immediately.

I can't wait for her loving book in 10 years.

I figure he was going to serve the divorce papers on her because I assume most prenups give the woman less if she's the one filing for divorce, but yeah it seems pretty clear that's what happened.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Unless there is an NDA in the prenup.

There's definitely an NDA in the prenup, there are in all his previous ones and he basically makes everyone who comes into contact with him sign an NDA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So this is interesting:

quote:

But now, Alexander is trying to sell his colleagues on a two-step process that includes using the fiscal 2017 reconciliation instructions to pass short-term market stabilization measures, effectively delaying any major repeal efforts. He recognizes, however, that obtaining support for such an approach could be an uphill battle.

“There’s a strong bias towards taking both steps at the one time because the urgency of what might happen in 2018 and 2019 gives us an incentive to pass the long-term plan, too,” he said. “We need to do something immediately to help the 2018 and ’19, but I hope it’s connected to a long-term solution.”

A GOP aide said this year’s reconciliation measure is being looked at for several purposes outside of strictly repealing the health care law, including stabilizing the insurance markets and putting Medicaid on a budget.

Such a move would have a dramatic impact on the GOP’s legislative agenda and could be a tough sell among some members of the conference. Passing a package of stabilization measures would require Republicans to essentially support, at least in the short term, a law members spent the past seven years criticizing. It could also make a tax overhaul, the next major legislative item on the GOP agenda, more difficult and push some substantial work on health care until an election year, a notoriously difficult time for passing major legislation.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/republican-senator-seeks-to-save-obamacare-before-dismantling-it#undefined.uxfs

The GOP gets a limited number of reconciliation bills, I think only two. Currently, the plan is 2017 = gutting Obamacare, 2018 = tax cuts/tax reform. If they actually wind up using the 2017 bill on anything but those two, then you're out a reconciliation bill and have only one bill left: do you repeal Obamacare, or do you cut taxes? I believe that the 2017 bill expires at the end of the 2017 fiscal year, sometime in September, so they have to pull the trigger before then. I am skeptical, as always, of Republicans doing anything good like stabilizing the insurance markets (from Republican sabotage) but its really interesting they're already laying the groundwork to use the 2017 bill on something else because of how much that fucks up their legislative plans.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

business hammocks posted:

I want to believe. Are they archived anywhere?

https://twitter.com/GhostMILF/status/867247580715110400

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why the gently caress do these idiot racists always continue to stand there and talk into the camera? Just loving leave and get in with whatever your racist rear end was gonna do!

why do these stupid people keep doing stupid things ???

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the gop may not even be competent enough to pass tax cuts

1) they can't start the tax cut bill until the AHCA is passed or its officially dead and they use the 2017 bill on something else
2) they have to pass a budget first and may not be able to do that because they can't agree on a budget

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/23/taxes-and-the-budget-two-obstacles-block-gop-path-to-tax-cuts.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

To be fair, it was a confidential exchange between two world leaders that was leaked to the press. Duterte wasn't gonna tell anyone.

Duerte has been buddying up to the Chinese and distancing himself from the US. He is not a trustworthy ally.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

When does the CBO score come out? I'm concerned that the top line numbers are going to look "better" than the last one for reasons that will be difficult to explain concisely - for example, there will probably be fewer uninsured than the last bill, because people will have lovely cheap plans that don't cover anything. And for the same reason they'll probably predict that premiums will be lower.

I think the CBO said it's not going to consider scam plans to be real insurance coverage already.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Regarding Trump not liking the 4 candidates and starting over on his FBI director search, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump asked each of them to swear an oath of loyalty and start yelling that the Russia probe is fake news, and all 4 of them went "uhhh..... no, this job was supposed to be politically independent so I won't do that."

I have a suspicion that the Senate GOP is quietly making clear they're not going to confirm someone who isn't independent enough, probably so that a Democratic president couldn't immediately fire them. Senate Republicans have a lot more to lose from politicizing the FBI than they have to gain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

stillvisions posted:

For the current administration the lack of a FBI head for a while is considered a feature, not a bug.

There is a head of the FBI, it's the acting director, and he will stay head of the FBI until someone is confirmed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

I don't think he was ever a toadie. He definitely saw himself being painted into a corner that would drag him down with the administration and cut himself right the gently caress out of it, though.

He wasn't a toadie but he did collaborate in Comey's firing and the coverup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dexo posted:

He didn't really collaborate in the coverup, unless I missed some piece of news.

He wrote the memo knowing that it would be used as justification for the firing and that it was not actually the basis for the firing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

This may be correct, but the 21% who are STILL with him now are either not paying any attention at all, or they will be bitter enders.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/867419203065835520

I don't think that it's his floor yet. It has seemed like forever, but it's only been four months. It's easy to see how some of his smarter loyal idiots may still be holding out hope that he just hasn't had enough time yet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

Which is what Flynn did by stopping that attack against ISIS.

Yeah, my only issue with if what he did is legally treason under the US Constitution is that he took the bribe from Turkey, not ISIS. His goal was assisting Turkey, not ISIS, but to assist Turkey he did assist ISIS. Which one controls?

Wasn't 22% Nixon's floor?

I think that was support in general. The 21% is his "strong support."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the georgia race has gotten so expensive local tv stations are reorganizing their lineup so they can show more political ads:

quote:

Already, it’s the most expensive congressional race in history. Nearly $35 million in TV and radio advertising has been reserved there, according to tracking by the firm Medium Buying. The windfall shocked Atlanta-area television stations to the point where one added a newscast and pre-empted reruns of The Andy Griffith Show to make way for the deluge of political ads.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygomez/georgia-special-election-has-republicans-wondering-about?utm_term=.kgKq6bxz4v#.shA4rRLvnZ

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Does Quist have any shot at all? Are the votes even there?

As people have said, he has a shot but he is the underdog. He has never led in any of the polls, but they have been close enough that turnout can win it for him because it's very difficult to model special election turnout. If it's close but he still loses, that's still a good sign for 2018 because (a) he's a flawed candidate in some important respects and (b) it's a very conservative state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867428184479981570

• Locked thread