Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Nunes (why did he recuse himself?)

His covering up was so loving incompetent it was backfiring. The Republicans want the Trump probe quietly obstructed, not loudly obstructed. Nunes was giving away the game so he got yanked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

...the "fake Russian document" seems perfectly adequate to spin up an investigation on, and I don't see why being wrong means that Comey was actually stupid. I'm sure the FBI investigates based on false intel all the time.

They barely investigated. They couldn't find the email (because it didn't exist), then proceeded to continue to act as if it was real while not, say, interviewing the named people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/867469262478348288

This means "before 5pm EST" right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ramos posted:

Two person nuke system and a long chain of command. It's not going to happen.

There is not a significant chain of command between the two people signing off on it and the missiles going off. The system is designed specifically to avoid one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Confounding Factor posted:

Cant waste time on hangups!

It's more that the system was designed with two assumptions: (1) you may be launching in response to a USSR launch and/or first strike and so time may be of the essence and/or significant chunks of the chain of command may be dead and (2) the credibility of the deterrence depends on the USSR believing that if the President gives the orders the missiles will launch and that they won't be stopped by someone in between refusing to end the world.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Confounding Factor posted:

Good explanation thanks. We can add that to the Democratic agenda when they retake control, what an out of date system. Why havent any reforms been done on it?

Russia still has that capability and has been violating some arms control treaties so there's still a great amount of concern there (though to be fair, we may have started it by all of the ABM work and ending the ABM treaty), and as much as people have disliked various presidents since the end of the Cold War none have been actually insane so nobody ever really needed to contemplate "but what if the President is a tiny-handed temperamental idiot with a small child's understanding of consequences?". Democrats, like Obama, have been more into trying to reduce the number of nuclear weapons and just generally end the threat of nuclear war without really contemplating the idea we might start it.

I suspect that will change.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Huzanko posted:

It's actually loving stupid to empower one person, any person, with the ability to destroy the world. You should have huge problems with this system.

The issue isn't if one person should have it. One person does have it, and there's nothing we can do to change that: Putin (or his predecessors at the Russian Federation or the USSR). The question is, given that reality, how do you set up the American end-the-world trigger?

Deterrence worked to prevent the use of nuclear weapons in war after World War II. But we are now at the point where the USA has no real fear that anyone is interested in starting WWIII, and our nuclear launch systems should be modified to reflect that. Really, the sticking point is that Russia no longer really has any claim to great power status besides its nuclear arsenal and so it's not willing to give it up or seriously reduce it below Cold War status.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

According to Cold War estimates, there are approximately ten minutes between the time when a potential nuclear launch is detected and the time when a retaliatory strike can be ordered with maximum possible effectiveness; beyond that point, the first nuclear impacts will begin reducing any country's ability to launch their own missiles. It also takes approximately 8 minutes to determine the launch trajectory of an ICBM using Cold War technology (and actually modern systems aren't much faster). There is literally no time for there to be any checks and balances on the launching of nuclear weapons.

The Russian system works the same as ours, but has an additional step in the chain of command in case the President is too drunk.

The counterpoint to this though is, we have enough nuclear weapons to end the world several times over precisely so that even if we are hit we can retaliate. Also, ICBM nuclear submarines exist for precisely this reason: so not all of the nuclear weapons are on land where they can be nuked. We can redesign the system to still provide concrete and certain deterrence, while placing some barrier between Trump and the end of the world.

mcmagic posted:

What a lying gently caress. He said at the town hall he divested of all his Health Care stocks....

He did. At a profit. Afterwards :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's going to go live at precisely 4:30 isn't it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

This is like a direct hit by a hurricane. Lots of speculation and noise, then silence at 3:30 ET as the eye passes over us and everyone is furiously reading as fast as they can, then twitter blows up as the other side hits

yeah my twitter feed has gone completely silent and i expect all of a sudden it's going to be Twitter (100)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Even though it goes up in a minute won't it take a while for people to analyze?

Not really. Last one was something like 30-60 pages, and there will be people who know what to look for when they scan through. Uninsured #, and its affect on the budget. A good reporter who sees it immediately should be able to figure it out very quickly, 1-2 minutes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

CBO and the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) have completed an estimate of the direct spending and revenue effects of H.R. 1628, the American Health Care Act of 2017, as passed by the House of Representatives. CBO and JCT estimate that enacting that version of H.R. 1628 would reduce the cumulative federal deficit over the 2017-2026 period by $119 billion. That amount is $32 billion less than the estimated net savings for the version of H.R. 1628 that was posted on the website of the House Committee on Rules on March 22, 2017, incorporating manager’s amendments 4, 5, 24, and 25. (CBO issued a cost estimate for that earlier version of the legislation on March 23, 2017.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It qualifies for reconciliation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/867479735915466752

lol it's going to jack premiums 20% next year compared to existing law

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Covok posted:

That was them getting around what Bloomberg point it out. By doing it that way it passes reconciliation while lying about the fact that it actually doesn't save money period I told you republican-led board will lie and cheat and steal and that's what they just did.

this is not true in any sense

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

If I'm reading it right, premiums would go down about 4% in half the country (by 2026), 20% in about 1/3rd of the country, and "we have no idea" down in the remaining 6th.

In exchange for 23 million people to lose their insurance.

that doesn't seem worth it IMO.

well we also save approximately $600 per year for each person we throw off their medical insurance

that's almost $40 bucks per american of sweet sweet deficit relief

definitely seems worth it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The CBO did not attempt to determine what states would ask for waivers.

quote:

As a result, CBO and JCT’s estimates reflect an assessment of the probabilities of different outcomes (without any explicit predictions about which states make which choices) and are, by the agencies’ judgment, in the middle of the distribution of potential outcomes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

but what about the high-risk pools?????

quote:

Although CBO and JCT expect that federal funding would have the intended effect of
lowering premiums and out-of-pocket payments to some extent, its effect on communityrated
premiums would be small because the funding would not be sufficient to
substantially reduce the large increases in premiums for high-cost enrollees. To evaluate
the potential effect of the $8 billion fund, looking back at the high-risk pool program
funded by the ACA prior to 2014 is useful. Within two years, the combined enrollment of
about 100,000 enrollees in that program resulted in federal spending of close to
$2.5 billion.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

Have any GOPers come out in favor of these results yet? The spin will be terrible.

why yes

paul ryan has

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

So we're saving 119 billion dollars over 10 years to kick 23 million people off of health insurance.

Just to spell that out, that's 517 dollars per person, per year for health insurance coverage, if we didn't pass this bill.

517 dollars per person to insure 23 million people? How is that not regarded as a loving STEAL?

excuse me but you are literally taking food out of the mouths of my children

my extremely obese children, since all of those taxes were levied on people who make well more than $250k per year and apparently all of that money goes to feeding my children

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

one of these loving days I'm going to sit down with the Big Book of How Reconciliation Actually Works and the next day the Senate is just going to go ahead and abolish the filibuster

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eviltastic posted:

So, upshot is this thing is still as toxic or more than expected, so the Senate sticks to the plan of rolling their own from scratch?

About as toxic and it torpedoes some of the republican lies re: the MacArthur amendment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

What did the deleted tweet say?

That the bill violated reconciliation rules. It seems he misread something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/867487551900323840

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

Doesn't it literally not lower rates according to the CBO?

It does, eventually, completely because insurance covers less.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

And it lets healthy people who are selfish and irresponsible voluntarily reduce their premiums to zero, which he's a huge fan of for some reason.

No, their premiums become very, very low. Until they get sick. Then the next year they spike through the roof.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They are STEALING 100B of your health care and giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. If you can't message that you don't belong in politics.

800b. 100b is the amount of that they apply against the deficit, with 700b going to the rich.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

I've found this AHCA bill to be a bizarre piece of politics. A bad bill that cuts access to healthcare to give tax breaks to the rich was expected from the GOP, but I'd have expected them to gently caress over the young, non-GOP voters at the expense of the older, politically-active, GOP-leaning voting block.

The first order of business since retaking control of government is to yank healthcare away from the people who vote often, and vote for them in overwhelming numbers. Between the AHCA and Trump's budget, the GOP seem to be incredibly eager to put the Democrats back in power.

Paul Ryan is really, really, really, really, really bad at actual policy but thinks he's good at it from years of washinton reporters not realizing his idiot policies don't add up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Prepare for a lot of people voting against their own interests while justifying it with "the other system was bad too" plus a side of "they'll figure out how to fix it later." This will be followed by a lot of shocked people crying about how they got sick and it didn't work out for them, but then still voting a straight Republican ticket the next time they get a chance.

with any luck they'll never vote again!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/867494737300918276

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

The conversations focused on Paul Manafort, the Trump campaign chairman at the time, and Michael T. Flynn, a retired general who was advising Mr. Trump, the officials said. Both men had indirect ties to Russian officials, who appeared confident that each could be used to help shape Mr. Trump’s opinions on Russia.

Some Russians boasted about how well they knew Mr. Flynn. Others discussed leveraging their ties to Viktor F. Yanukovych, the deposed president of Ukraine living in exile in Russia, who at one time had worked closely with Mr. Manafort.

The intelligence was among the clues — which also included information about direct communications between Mr. Trump’s advisers and Russian officials — that American officials received last year as they began investigating Russian attempts to disrupt the election and whether any of Mr. Trump’s associates were assisting Moscow in the effort. Details of the conversations, some of which have not been previously reported, add to an increasing understanding of the alarm inside the American government last year about the Russian disruption campaign.

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

While it can be a problem in parts of Montana, I think that you are probably dealing with stereotypes there.

Just as a wild guess, are you from an East Coast state and you think that Montana is somehow just another version of Binghampton, Toledo, Grand Rapids or one of those East Coast cities?

as someone from the east coast, i don't believe the first city exists, the second is a made up city that sounds funny, and the third is what i imagine all cities in montana are named

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Sorry, Binghamton, New York, Toledo, Ohio, and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I am not an expert on the East Coast, the only one of those cities I've been to is Toledo.

yeah i was just joking that we are way too self-absorbed to know what any city smaller than, like, Washington DC is unless it has a sports team in it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

What? Against who?

Is the US invading the Philippines?

Presumably ISIS, and formally retiring the old AUMFs that are still kicking around from the Bush Administration.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

Exactly why were they allowed to add all that poo poo when dems didn't need their votes? Stupidity?

Trying to make the bill bipartisan to avoid, well, the last 7 years of heath care wars.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

east coasters consider the parts of new york outside the new york city metro area just barely on this side of a max max hellscape, except the vacation spots, or (if from outside new york) have never really considered that there's a part of New York besides the city and sort of forget it's there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yes? Words mean things, sorry you had to learn this way.

if every single person in the town can have their own seat in a medium sized football stadium it's not a city

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867500914332053505

paul ryan has to come hat in hand to nancy pelosi and beg her for the votes to prevent economic meltdown

again

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Well, the coast is the area between the ocean and once you hit some sort of relief or mountains. Since there are no mountains, it is all coast.

my dude you are doing your region no favors when it comes to our stereotypes of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

while we are on the subject of people that east coast elitists look down on, how's the honorable former senator from alabama doing

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/867502050128613377

• Locked thread