Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Chain migration sounds like a weasely confederate apologist term for the slave trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

ZobarStyl posted:

Agreed, to believe Painter's theory you have to completely ignore Sessions' stammering lies in response to Al Franken's relatively simple question about Russia recusal. That dumb gently caress wrote his guilt all over his hideous apple cheeks and then answered a completely different question in a now very incriminating manner. In order to buy into the "fix is in" narrative you'd have to believe the players in The Stupidest Possible Watergate both planned this poo poo all in advance and managed to bungle the entire shitshow from day one.

I'm reading painter's theory as Trump throwing Sessions under the bus and trying to pin all the blame on him, not as a defense of sessions' innocence.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Some good schadenfreude in the bad thread right now, get it while it's hot.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
In reply to the many people who justifiably say "I hate it that epic shitbags David Frum and Rick Wilson get to go on TV now because they'll talk poo poo about Trump", let me share an example of their utility.

David Frum just said this on MSNBC, in response to Lawrence O'Donnell getting all giddy about the victory in Virginia and how republicans must be making GBS threads bricks: (paraphrase) "I know these people. There are people in the whitehouse who woke up today and are thinking a whole lot about voter suppression. Limbaugh's monologue this morning was about all the felons who got their voting rights back and voted for democrats. Expect to see them start working hard to redefine who's an American."

There's value in getting actual, live, former-insider-republicans to call this poo poo out as it's happening. Even David Frum thinks Trump's a fascist.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

Taxes will never be raised on the rich ever again in this country, and loopholes which allow them to evade taxes in offshore accounts won't either. I think the us is going to follow greece's example and destroy itself with austerity measures, with right wing groups becoming more and more powerful. I try to be hopeful but i dunno, I think everything is hosed

What I’m about to say is admittedly very pedantic. Tax increases are technically austerity and tax cuts are technically anti-austerity. Things that reduce deficits are austerity and things that increase deficits arent.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

So is Bernie Sanders going to come out to tell us the Russia story isn't a big deal like he did after Manafort's indictment?

Bernie is not part of the small fragment of the left that sees the Russia investigation as a distraction from the real issues. Bernie is also not a moron. These two things may be related.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Remember that none of this matters unless enough GOP House members agree to impeach Trump. I'm as ecstatic as the next person to see all this come to light, but it's meaningless unless you're willing to bet on House Republicans having real beliefs.

Impeachment is not the only avenue through which this could matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
There's more than a little tension between believing property tax hikes could not possibly affect anyone we care about and believing Obama was terrible for black wealth because he didn't re-inflate the housing bubble fast enough.

• Locked thread