Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But you've got at least one computer, possibly tablets, etc.

That's a different argument. That's "the Internet is a necessity" not "a smartphone is a necessity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Koalas March posted:

I'm willing to bet you have a computer or laptop though

A lot of poor people don't. So you get a $200 smart phone (or a $70 smart tracphone) and suddenly you can... Apply for jobs, research for you homework, keep easy tabs on your bank account, budget better with apps etc. Oh yeah and the world won't look at you like a weirdo and you'll feel less ostracized.

Right, if the argument was "the internet is a necessity" I wouldn't have piped up. As for the weirdo stuff, way too late for that.

dbukalski posted:

Does being in tech mean sitting in front of computer all day? Because if your mobile at all in a business you may as well commit financial suicide if your clients and business partners have to wait 1 day delay for you to respond to them.

also the joy of coming home and running through 30 voicemail messsages. Responding to those after business hours and then a new tsunami of messages start the next day

most business communications are multi part back and forth messages. There was a time when everyone sat at a desk and talked on a landline.

Now hardly anyone does that. which means if your trying to function that way your done

I spend all day punching holes in cards and organizing the stacks to feed through the machines.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 30, 2017

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

dbukalski posted:

For a large chunk of the population(poor people, working people on all spectrums of wealth) smartphone = internet

no smartphone = cant do job. you cant just sit at a desk anymore for many jobs

Huh, I thought this was the pedantic forum.

Cabbit posted:

Actually, these are the pedantic forums. :smug:

Ouch, I'm a cob now.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 30, 2017

• Locked thread